follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #113
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
Man that's some bull shit still. Making me worried about my 15 brz I wish they had put a Toyota engine instead. Subi engine always have problem I had multiple friends that had Ring land problem on the sti.
Subaru's are actually pretty dang reliable. New engine, new tech, ect. The oil pump is even a new design (which is my guess at what cause @marky 's problem). It's the joy of owning a newly desined engine. Don't blame it on Subaru…growing pains. It'll get fixed, but it will take enough issues and Toyota (and subaru) getting their heads out of their ass and realizing that they have a problem.

This has little to do with the actual engine and the parts the caused it to fail and more to do with Toyota and the politics around a new engine, and repair in general. I'm hoping it all ends up on the up and up for my good buddy. It should. He's done nothing wrong, and honestly, he's a hell of a good guy. If anyone deserves a break on this, it's him.

Edit: Seems like I got out of the car just in time (have an M3 now). Subaru has been hard to get warranty work done for a bit now because of the older sti's that ruined it. Now that toyota has jumped in on the "we won't fix it" bandwagon, I'm glad I don't have it anymore. Sad. Such a fun, bad ass little car. Shame the manufacturers are going to ruin it.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
marky (01-24-2015), strat61caster (01-24-2015), Tcoat (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #114
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Almost certainly internet amplification in my mind. The forums can even make it look worse as many (most???) of the people are not just DDs and have made mods that effect the stock parts.
There is a thread on here about breaking axles and although I am not going to pull it up to make actual quotes the common theme is: " Broke my axle on my 40th run at the drag strip today and don't understand why as I only turboed it to 500hp, dropped it 6 inches and was running 20 inch slicks" (made up quote mildly exaggerated for effect). One guy even goes so far as to slam Toyota/Subaru for not designing the car to be able to take each and every possible combination of mods without having to upgrade other parts.
When you consider that of the many thousands of these cars sold there are only a few hundred people that post on the internet the gap shows as huge.
You never see posts like "have drove for XXXXXXmiles and never had a problem" as what would be the point of saying that really?
Pretty sure that the failure rate is no higher or lower that any other cars out there in reality.

So whether you want a nice stock DD, a couple mild practical mods or want to go all balls out with a pure race machine you should get one and enjoy it how you wish! BUT... know and be prepared for the consequences on what you change and how you treat it.

P.S. You will not regret getting one but may regret NOT!

Not to also mention... The way some people drive it, mod it, etc. Many reasons why things can go wrong as per Murphy's Law...

HOWEVER, yes... there also can be lemons...

Sir, I love you. Nohomo...

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaJo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #115
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
Not to also mention... The way some people drive it, mod it, etc. Many reasons why things can go wrong as per Murphy's Law...

HOWEVER, yes... there also can be lemons...

Sir, I love you. Nohomo...
Yes of course there can be lemons but they are actually very, very, VERY rare! And... when you get one you get it fixed and move on or get rid of it without whining.

And I love me too. No narcissism...
DaJo (01-24-2015), suaveflooder (01-25-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #116
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Aww man, just reading this thread kinda scares me. I've seen people in this thread say how much they love this car but has to deal with warranty issues.

Mine has almost 15K miles, I haven't checked it lately because I been car pooling to work. But man I hope my engine is fine, and will last. I also plan on Supercharging it in the future.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #117
suaveflooder

Engine Failure (#4 Rod Bearing + Short Block)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Aww man, just reading this thread kinda scares me. I've seen people in this thread say how much they love this car but has to deal with warranty issues.

Mine has almost 15K miles, I haven't checked it lately because I been car pooling to work. But man I hope my engine is fine, and will last. I also plan on Supercharging it in the future.

Chances of a bad engine aren't high. Example @whataboutbob and @DriftEm. I've watched these two build their cars and beat the livin' piss out of them without major issues. The cars are pretty stout, but those couple bad ones are going to stand out. Like I mentioned before, there will be hiccups on a new motor. The car was honestly THE best handling and balanced car I've owned. (Over my E46m3 and my current E36 M3)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #118
Tcoat

Quote:

And this is why I don't like the "my god they are all blowing up" comments.
All new cars can have problems. When on here you hear about those problems. There is a list of about 300 people that claim to have "major" issues. So lets take a worst case scenario and say (purely a speculative number it could be way high or low) the total number of people with major issues may as high as 1000. This is 1% of the cars out there! What you don't hear about are the other 99% of the owners that never had a single issue.
Don't get paranoid because you read that somebody or even 100 or 500 somebodies had an issue because that does not mean everybody has or ever will!
Alltezza (01-25-2015), suaveflooder (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:27 AM   #119
suaveflooder

Quote:
All new cars can have problems. When on here you hear about those problems. There is a list of about 300 people that claim to have "major" issues. So lets take a worst case scenario and say (purely a speculative number it could be way high or low) the total number of people with major issues may as high as 1000. This is 1% of the cars out there! What you don't hear about are the other 99% of the owners that never had a single issue.
Don't get paranoid because you read that somebody or even 100 or 500 somebodies had an issue because that does not mean everybody has or ever will!

Preach on!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #120
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Well of course I'm going to be concerned, but reading what you said really gave me a good piece of mind.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #121
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Preach on!!!!!!

suaveflooder (01-25-2015), themadscientist (02-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #122
Tcoat

Quote:
Well of course I'm going to be concerned, but reading what you said really gave me a good piece of mind.
Being concerned is one thing rampant paranoia another!
We are all concerned about our new cars.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #123
TheMarkness

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just chiming in here that I had the exact same issue with my FR-S at 20,000~ish miles that ended up being a bearing on cylinder 4 (rod knock). Exact same sound as video and descriptions, ended up getting a replacement engine pull under warranty from a wrecked BRZ (102 miles). Granted Toyota would not cover my warranty for various excuse reasons, this car had all maintenance done by the original dealer it was purchased from and from the local dealer in my city since. The dealer I bought it from had to fork out for the replacement engine and the dealer in my city worked the service order to keep my power train warranty intact. Getting a new engine from the sound of all this is the best that could have ended up happening in my situation because it sounds like the first runs on these cars are prone (same rod bearing cylinder 4).

Knocking doesn't sound good :-(.

I'm over 16,000 miles on the new engine with no issues, I did get the latest ECU updates after the engine swap as well.

Original engine gave no CEL's or warning, just started knocking. Also notate what casting your front cover has (you know the thing with the oil pump and oil passages). My original engine that spun rod bearing cylinder 4 has a "#1" with an eagle / bird stamping, my new engine pull from a later 13 / early 14 BRZ has a "#2" with no logo stampings on the front cover. No issues like I said 16,000 miles now, I smell production issues and Toyota / Subaru is not wanting to cause some type of bigger attention.

Also wanted to note that my car originally had Toyota engineers / service team on-site with it originally over various engine issues early on in it's life, guess with good reason. I'm floored that they left it hanging and blamed the customer, again every service like clockwork with Toyota and oil always checked.
TheMarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #124
fradet

Drives: sentra ser
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
these guys talk about a weakness on FA20... issue related to oil. you guys might want to take a look.

watch from 3.57

fradet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #125
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradet View Post
these guys talk about a weakness on FA20... issue related to oil. you guys might want to take a look.

watch from 3.57

He says the variable valve timing device fails, leading to oil pressure to the rest of the engine low enough to destroy it but not low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light, which only glows at 4psi or less.

This makes perfect sense.

I haven't read all the pages, but in the OP's case I suspect the tech didn't put enough oil in at the last change. My understanding is that dealerships don't use jugs but rather a device on which you set a knob to determine how much goes in. Faulty setting or device + tech not checking dipstick = ruined engine.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #126
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
He says the variable valve timing device fails, leading to oil pressure to the rest of the engine low enough to destroy it but not low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light, which only glows at 4psi or less.

This makes perfect sense.

I haven't read all the pages, but in the OP's case I suspect the tech didn't put enough oil in at the last change. My understanding is that dealerships don't use jugs but rather a device on which you set a knob to determine how much goes in. Faulty setting or device + tech not checking dipstick = ruined engine.
I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I say the Techs are full of shit.
The Tune can in no way affect the oil pressure in the system (that I can think of).

The only exception would be a bug in the VVT AND a flaw in the system that would allow oil pressure to drop if the VVT was commanded to change position continuously (failed cam position sensor?)
Maybe (I doubt it) the VVT system can reduce pressure in the rest of the system if not commanded properly?

Now I'd like to see a detailed diagram of ll of the oil passages in this engine.
Over here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=pressure

Makes me wonder if a bad tune, or a failed cam position sensor can starve the engine of oil pressure.
If this failure mode has any basis in reality, then Toy/Sub would have zero problem blaming an engine failure on an aftermarket tune....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote