follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #1541
BPM

Drives: A Blue One
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anybody here makes drives to woodside regularly?
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #1542
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER WRX View Post
No no no, don't change anything
That's his unique writing style
Not only what he writes, but how it looks - instantly recognizable!
LOL I get what you're saying, but ... I encourage anyone to write stories and be creative and practice their expositional skills. However good writing skills are a must for many well-paying jobs these days, and if you're practicing writing I think it is a good thing to learn to write better. It will not only get you better understood by others but will get you better paid.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #1543
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
Anybody here makes drives to woodside regularly?
84/La Honda is one of our favorite short drives... sometimes we even go mid-week after work or in the evenings. The MR2 club meets up at Alice's from time to time for dinner too and I always try to make it out when it's there.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #1544
BPM

Drives: A Blue One
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
That sounds like a blast. La Honda is the closest place for me (still a 30min drive there) so I would venture down there from time to time. Never get to meet any tuners there though, always see nice exotic cars or motorbikes.
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #1545
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I loved this part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleviet View Post
. I had slips in the back to see how much I can push into a corner anything above 55 – 60 got me slipping and some 45ish were like eeeeee a bit hahaha. I was having a blast! A part of the trip there’s a straight road online. I want to say I finally hit my first triple digits in this car 100 – 105 mph. The car was floating a bit? I had my windows down air going through it may have cause the effect I don’t know! There was a little slump in the road when I was driving at that speed it felt like a roller-coaster just dropped bit and that feeling in the stomach it gave me the chills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Simpleviet (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #1546
Simpleviet
Right Foot Flat

Drives: Asphalt Lucille
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
nice story man. throw some paragraphs in there. i'm dizzy lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER WRX View Post
No no no, don't change anything
That's his unique writing style
Not only what he writes, but how it looks - instantly recognizable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
LOL I get what you're saying, but ... I encourage anyone to write stories and be creative and practice their expositional skills. However good writing skills are a must for many well-paying jobs these days, and if you're practicing writing I think it is a good thing to learn to write better. It will not only get you better understood by others but will get you better paid.

Lawls, I appreciate the advice. I like writing out my experience that deem appropriate to the forum. It's like an AAR --> After Action Review. A term used in the Army. Basically, a review of the experience and what can I learn from it or improve upon it. That's where sometimes the forum can pitch in and maybe help me out why the car acted that way.. The unexplained hahaha. However it isn't always there. I preferably want to share the experience for those maybe never driven there or perhaps something we could all learn from it. Who knows.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #1547
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

It sounded like that noise you were describing was the front tires understeering or skidding slightly as they struggled to respond to where you just told them to go in the corner.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Simpleviet (09-25-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #1548
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleviet View Post
Lawls, I appreciate the advice. I like writing out my experience that deem appropriate to the forum. It's like an AAR --> After Action Review. A term used in the Army. Basically, a review of the experience and what can I learn from it or improve upon it. That's where sometimes the forum can pitch in and maybe help me out why the car acted that way.. The unexplained hahaha. However it isn't always there. I preferably want to share the experience for those maybe never driven there or perhaps something we could all learn from it. Who knows.
I personally like the narrative, kinda like just hearing your thoughts out loud (I always picture a "Simpleviet's log, stardate 2013..." intro, lol). Content is great, composition could use some work, I personally have a hard time reading it, being a former editor, but hey, its your self expression, so more power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
It sounded like that noise you were describing was the front tires understeering or skidding slightly as they struggled to respond to where you just told them to go in the corner.
Drew beat me to it: sounds like you're under-steering into those corners (not safe), focus on slowing down ALOT on your entries and setting up your corner exit, keep those eyes up to see what's up ahead and just have fun with your exits when it looks clear. Don't mean to sound preachy, just have personal experience with friends getting hurt this way and would hate to see it happen to others
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-23-2013), Simpleviet (09-25-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1549
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Simpleviet I personally love your writing style, always gets a laugh out of me and the gf because of the huge block of text and stream of conscious narrative. Whenever I'm with the gf and checking the boards and come upon one of your weekend updates, I just have to show her for one second and she instantly knows it's a post from you and asks for some excerpts.

Keep it up!
Clipdat (09-23-2013), Simpleviet (09-25-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #1550
BRZkitty
RIP Buzz 8/5/14

Drives: a moneypit
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
17 Mile Drive

Drove 17 mile drive, Pebble beach today. It was perfect weather and less traffic/people on a weekday. I think we should invade the beautiful place with 86s and photo shoot!... What do you think @PMok? Also found a fiero on the side of the road.. too bad it was an automatic :<

Last edited by BRZkitty; 09-24-2013 at 01:37 AM.
BRZkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BRZkitty For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (09-24-2013), Clipdat (09-24-2013), crouchingpinoy (09-28-2013), mike_ekim1024 (09-24-2013), MyRx (09-25-2013), PMok (09-24-2013), pumice (09-25-2013), Simpleviet (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #1551
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZkitty View Post
Drove 17 mile drive, Pebble beach today. It was perfect weather and less traffic/people on a weekday. I think we should invade the beautiful place with 86s and photo shoot!... What do you think @PMok? Also found a fiero on the side of the road.. too bad it was an automatic :<
Looks awesome! I haven't visited 17 mile drive in years... it's not cheap to enter, but yeah we should do it at some point, the photos would be great.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #1552
PMok

Time for my own stream of consciousness story... with all due respect to @Simpleviet for popularizing the form.

I had lunch with some friends today at Vesta in Redwood City and afterwards stopped by Massdrop's HQ in Palo Alto to pick up the Carsmo spoiler they so generously donated for our prize raffle party this upcoming Saturday. Hung out a bit and chatted with andysaurus at Massdrop about some of the offerings for our cars they are working on. I can't really say what some of them are yet but very cool stuff and I look forward to seeing more of their drops coming soon.

After that I had nothing really going on so I decided to head up into the hills via the nearby Oregon Expwy to Page Mill Rd. Traffic sucked donkey balls through Oregon but cleared up as I approached Page Mill. Up the hill I go, traffic was fairly light but I took it easy. There is several miles stretch near the top as you near Skyline that are all super gravelly due to repaving work. Once I got to Skyline it was smooth sailing and I headed north to Alice's. A brief stop at Alice's to pump a few gallons of gas at the pump there as I was running low. God that pump is slow, I stood there for about 5 minutes and got about 3 gallons in. That was enough to cover my planned route so I stopped it and called it good.

Firing up the engine I pull out of the Alice's lot and wait. A few cars had just passed by heading W on 84 towards the coast and I wanted to give them some time to get further down before I started my attack. It's a delicate game of balance and patience, you don't want to wait too long and then more traffic comes along and you have to reset your waiting period once again. But you go too soon and you find yourself catching up to the slower traffic ahead within a few turns and that's no good either. Dammit here comes a truck towing a trailer and a sedan following it. I wait a few more minutes and as I see another car approaching, I decide it's time to go. I pull out in front of it and head west on 84.

It's a familiar road to me, 84 to La Honda. One of the best and smoothest roads in the area. I drive it every few weeks. But something is not right today. I see orange pylons at the edges of the road, one after another. And then off on the shoulder of the road, I start seeing large trucks and other construction equipment. Almost before I can curse mentally in my mind, the sound of gravel and rocks starts clattering in my wheel wells and off the body of the BRZ. I slow down and start wondering why the hell all of a sudden all my favorite roads are all being repaved, making them virtually undriveable with all the loose gravel that fills the road. Page Mill. La Honda. Stage Rd. Mines Rd. Redwood Rd. Nothing gold can stay. I enter a kind of dark mood of despair and dismay. Summer is over, it's getting colder, it's getting darker. All my favorite roads have gone to shit. I should sell my car and buy a freakin Prius. Or a Nissan Leaf. Someone shoot me.

After a few more miles of this the road clears up and the gravel is gone. I pick up the pace and within a few turns have caught up to some very slow traffic. The truck with a trailer and right behind it an Acura sedan. We continue on in formation until we reach the small town of La Honda. The 2 vehicles kept on going so I pull off into the small La Honda country market to take a break and get a drink. It's a nice little market and they don't gouge you on a bottle of water or a snapple, just reasonable prices and friendly people. As I get out of the car one of the locals is circling my car on foot and admiring it. He asks me, "isn't this one of those new Scion G37s?"

I said "no, that is the twin to this car, this one is the Subaru Skyline GTR." Of course his next question was "how much HP?" "Not much", I replied, "just about 500 at the wheels -- it's not really about the power though, this is more of a handling car." He nodded in agreement, saying "it's a beautiful car, none of those exotics I always see on these roads can beat the value of this car". We exchange the knowing looks of mutually discriminating car connoisseurs and go our separate ways.

oops time to go to bed... to be continued...

Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #1553
B2FiNiTY
JDM JUNKY

Drives: NSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice story!
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #1554
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I know exactly what you are talking about! It's great to master this trick. I like to do this where Pinehurst meets up with Redwood. There's not a lot of room to see who's coming though so I usually roll down the passenger side window and try to listen for a car that's coming before I will pull out.

Really works well to put a big gap in front of you!

I liked the part about the Subaru Skyline GTR! hahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
It's a delicate game of balance and patience, you don't want to wait too long and then more traffic comes along and you have to reset your waiting period once again. But you go too soon and you find yourself catching up to the slower traffic ahead within a few turns and that's no good either.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy