follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I'm a bit confused on their decisions.

They go with V-bands, which are more expensive than normal flanges.

But then they hit it with cheap, nasty-looking wire-feed?

I don't get it.

Nice wheels, btw.

Wire feed welding (MIG Welding) can be just as strong if not stronger than TIG welding. Ever watch them weld stuff together at a shipyard or Auto Factory? It's all wire feed welding, so strength isn't an issue if thats what you're complaining about. If you're complaining about looks then yea, they may not look quite as nice as TIG welding but who cares? It's under the car, my car isn't going to be a show car, so it wont be placed on a pedestal with a mirror underneath for all to see my underbody.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
why resonated instead of non?
Non-resonated is too loud for me, I don't want to attract unwanted attention, plus this is a daily driver for me so I don't want to have to listen to any drone all day.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
VSGTS14
987 Motorsports

Drives: '13 WO FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
does perrin make a nonresonated version? i always love their exhausts. i had one on my 09 GR sti when i had it, the fit and finish was amazing...i just wanted it louder. there are so many exhausts available for these two cars that i'm so undecided!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Wire feed welding (MIG Welding) can be just as strong if not stronger than TIG welding. Ever watch them weld stuff together at a shipyard or Auto Factory? It's all wire feed welding, so strength isn't an issue if thats what you're complaining about. If you're complaining about looks then yea, they may not look quite as nice as TIG welding but who cares? It's under the car, my car isn't going to be a show car, so it wont be placed on a pedestal with a mirror underneath for all to see my underbody.
Following Perrin's dev here, I would just be disappointed receiving that. Their prototype was TIG'd. They told us production would be MIG for cost reasons, and show a polished system on their site. Fair enough. But now are shipping out un-polished/brushed systems to customers.

But yeah, under the car and makes power. I'm just pretty anal about craftsmanship.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
what rims are those btw?
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
i am really jelly of your garage there.
travace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
what rims are those btw?

SSR Type-C.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen Tuning View Post
Its easier to automate with MIG. Surprisingly these systems hold up to the the salt and sand of the north east pretty darn well!
Well I'd hope so considering they are stainless steel....
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
Just curious what attracted you to the manga flow?

the deeper tone of their mufflers.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
PERRIN_Jeff

Drives: Matte Black STI
Thanked 1,546 Times in 206 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Following Perrin's dev here, I would just be disappointed receiving that. Their prototype was TIG'd. They told us production would be MIG for cost reasons, and show a polished system on their site. Fair enough. But now are shipping out un-polished/brushed systems to customers.

But yeah, under the car and makes power. I'm just pretty anal about craftsmanship.
Quote:
I'm a bit confused on their decisions.

They go with V-bands, which are more expensive than normal flanges.

But then they hit it with cheap, nasty-looking wire-feed?

I don't get it.
Its all a balancing act.

We showed a prototyped Tig part, but as you said we told customers they would be MIG welded for production. Its obvious why we did this, its for cutting cost. TIG is very very time consuming and would have made our system way to expensive. TIG is something people are used to seeing because of all the overseas parts that are made by robots. This is exhaust is 100% made in the USA and that is a huge cost adder for companies like us. For us its worth the added cost for control and for keeping jobs in the USA.

The finish on the prototype, and on the website are all the same as the final product. Its all a 220-ish grit brushed finish (that is what we call it). Maybe we didn't do a good job of pointing this out to customers, but we even made a small "Box" on our site pointing out the finish.

I will have to look into the info on our site to see if we are misleading customers. We never had intentions to do that. We are done with polished systems as its too "over sea's" looking to us.

I am glad you think the V-band flanges are more expensive, that is why we used them! They provide the gasket-less seal, and adjustability we wanted in the system, and not to mention better clearance for things. Yes we could have gone super cheap with some thin flanges and gaskets, but we didn't.

Over the years we have come to find that 70% of the customers out there don't give a crap about what the tubing looks like. Even fewer care less about the welding. Internally we are like the smaller % people that do care about finish, but to a point. It just comes down to being able to hit a price that suites peoples wallets, having features that make people want the system while still having tips that people like and of course good sound.

We say this to a lot of customers, but if enough people ask, we could do a premium type system that is super finished. Tig welded, CNC v-band flanges, CNC main flange, quick release V-band clamps and so on. But releasing a system like this that could be in the $1200+ range steers away a huge customer base.

I hope that helps answer your comments and also keeps onlookers from thinking we "pulled a fast one" or cheapened out on the system. We NEVER had the intentions of EVER doing that.
PERRIN_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Jeff For This Useful Post:
BatStig (03-11-2013), Bcarlos (04-05-2013), DaveyG (09-09-2012), jeebus (09-07-2012), jehu (09-07-2012), JTM (09-11-2012), MindtheGap (12-21-2012), mkiisupra (09-09-2012), RebootWindows (09-07-2012), Soulman03 (09-06-2013), Spartan65 (09-11-2012), Sportsguy83 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
actually i like the brush finish of the cat back. it looks good and quite unique from all the mass polish/burnt finish out on the market.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nardi330 For This Useful Post:
CBR600RR (09-14-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You can call it what ever you want mr perrin rep but no matter what you say I'm not not goin to buy one. Matter of fact I'm going to take the one I already have ordered and shove it up into my existing exhaust! I am going to rock it hard and brag about it to all brz owners rather you like it or not.

Yeah how you feel about that!?!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff View Post
Its all a balancing act.

We showed a prototyped Tig part, but as you said we told customers they would be MIG welded for production. Its obvious why we did this, its for cutting cost. TIG is very very time consuming and would have made our system way to expensive. TIG is something people are used to seeing because of all the overseas parts that are made by robots. This is exhaust is 100% made in the USA and that is a huge cost adder for companies like us. For us its worth the added cost for control and for keeping jobs in the USA.

The finish on the prototype, and on the website are all the same as the final product. Its all a 220-ish grit brushed finish (that is what we call it). Maybe we didn't do a good job of pointing this out to customers, but we even made a small "Box" on our site pointing out the finish.

I will have to look into the info on our site to see if we are misleading customers. We never had intentions to do that. We are done with polished systems as its too "over sea's" looking to us.

I am glad you think the V-band flanges are more expensive, that is why we used them! They provide the gasket-less seal, and adjustability we wanted in the system, and not to mention better clearance for things. Yes we could have gone super cheap with some thin flanges and gaskets, but we didn't.

Over the years we have come to find that 70% of the customers out there don't give a crap about what the tubing looks like. Even fewer care less about the welding. Internally we are like the smaller % people that do care about finish, but to a point. It just comes down to being able to hit a price that suites peoples wallets, having features that make people want the system while still having tips that people like and of course good sound.

We say this to a lot of customers, but if enough people ask, we could do a premium type system that is super finished. Tig welded, CNC v-band flanges, CNC main flange, quick release V-band clamps and so on. But releasing a system like this that could be in the $1200+ range steers away a huge customer base.

I hope that helps answer your comments and also keeps onlookers from thinking we "pulled a fast one" or cheapened out on the system. We NEVER had the intentions of EVER doing that.
Customer product:

I can't link to it on my phone, but the close up pic on your Description page beside the V-Band shows a much better finish (I should have been more clear about 'polish', meant the satin/brushed finish). Also you can still see a bit of the 304L printing (yay 304!) on the customer pic, clearly untouched.

Your pic looks like it was brushed after welding, and the customer's before. MIG welds aren't pretty at the best of times and just hitting the whole thing after welding with however you finish it wouldn't hurt.

EDIT:

I went back to your site and looked through ALL the pics and need to clarify MY ERROR. Seems I fixated on the V-Band pic as it caught my attention pretty good. The other pics, especially the installed ones, are consistent with the piece in this thread.

I still think that satin polishing AFTER welding would be a great value to the customer, though.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 09-06-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Shit, my bad.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Oh hello, just found my favorite exhaust as far as looks go. I don't think I remember liking the sound of it too much. In for a video clip though!

Edit: NVM! sounds great without the front pipe.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote