follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
Paying $500 for an induction hose and intake were worth it to me, just to clean up the god awful mess that the stock airbox and induction hose with sound generator were.

Still haven't had a chance to dyno it to see if Mishimoto's claims of +16HP over stock are accurate. But I can feel a difference, that's for certain.
That is one solid reason to change to a different intake as it certainly does clean it up.
The claim of +/- 16 or so hp improvement is fairly standard to all the different intake suppliers but the independent dyno numbers I have ever seen never seem to come close to that (not without a tune to go along with the intake at any rate).
What they do actually help with is slightly improved throttle control and smooth out the 4000 dip a hair which can be a noticeable difference.
Frishkorn (12-17-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #44
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don't forget stickers add hp too.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #45
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
A tune on e85 alone will get you close to 200WHP.

Are you sure you want to stand by that statement 'factory header works pretty good', do you mean for emissions? Then I agree. From a performance standpoint....absolutely not. Dynos of a bone stock car adding just a CAI show minimal gains, bone stock and then adding a header shows a great increase in power and torque.

Reaper and others; may want to take a look here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31555

Pretty good compilation of dynos with various setups, focused around headers.
No where in that thread is the dyno doug at topspeed did of his factory manifold that was decatted that made more hp than all those did. Search his sn topspeed. He beat all of that with the factory header with the cat cut out of it and a stock airbox.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #46
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

But hey this community is slowly becoming all about looks and Internet engineering anyway.
campy (12-12-2014), Shark_Bait88 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #47
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
No where in that thread is the dyno doug at topspeed did of his factory manifold that was decatted that made more hp than all those did. Search his sn topspeed. He beat all of that with the factory header with the cat cut out of it and a stock airbox.
Do you mean this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57270

Seems he didn't have just a decatted header...he had an e85 tune and other mods.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #48
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
CAI is pointless unless you are turbo. If you're just dying to dress it up under the hood, it's your money. If you want to do something that MAY be helping, get a 50 dollar (or less) drop in panel filter and call it a day.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #49
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
CAI is pointless unless you are turbo. If you're just dying to dress it up under the hood, it's your money. If you want to do something that MAY be helping, get a 50 dollar (or less) drop in panel filter and call it a day.

I pretty much agree with this statement with the exception of the GrimmSpeed intake.

There was so much R&D put into that unit and it has actually shown gains that are worth while of spending the money on. 15+whp with just the intake and tune isn't bad.

Otherwise, I would definitely just spend the $50ish and get a drop in filter and call it a day.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I pretty much agree with this statement with the exception of the GrimmSpeed intake.

There was so much R&D put into that unit and it has actually shown gains that are worth while of spending the money on. 15+whp with just the intake and tune isn't bad.

Otherwise, I would definitely just spend the $50ish and get a drop in filter and call it a day.
Very important to understand!^^
CatDaddysBBQ (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #51
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
Quote:

Sooo, 14hp from the tune then?
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #52
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Very important to understand!^^
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
Sooo, 14hp from the tune then?
No. It was like 10whp with the intake and no tune. Then another 5-7 or something with the tune.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #53
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've had the Greddy intake for over 2 years and I like it. Before I bought it, I already had the Greddy Evo3 exhaust. I tried the K&N for the hell of it while waiting for the Greddy intake on preorder. The K&N was a slight improvement over stock. The K&N oiled filter in hot climates is a recipe for MAF sensor contamination. I went through that with my Tacoma 4x4 and had to buy a new sensor. But the Greddy dry filter has been better than the K&N drop in. With the GReddy Intake, the car is defitinitely more responsive and sounds a whole lot better than stock or K&N with sound tube. I did remove the intake snorkel when I installed the intake. I connected the sound tube but I didn't drill a hole in the Greddy intake. I left the sound tube installed for future smog checks when I have to switch back to stock for inspection.
The Greddy intake matched with the Greddy Evo3 exhaust and the car breathes and responds way better than stock or with K&N drop in.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Obviously...

I would never ever use the word "obviously here"!
Next thing you know some dude will be posting "got the intake you said and only got 10 hp out of it. I read that it should be 15. Should I take it back/get a different one/beat the crap out of the guy that sold it to me/is there something wrong with my car/etc"
Old 12-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #55
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyoshi82 View Post
I'm planning to go stock with the TRD CAI. Thoughts? It is covered under the warranty since I'm going to have the Dealer install it?

I have the TRD intake. If you want it for performance then don't waste your time cause I don't believe it will give you any. If you want to clean up the bay, get rid of the damn sound tube, and stay with Toyota parts then I say go for it.

PS: I LOL at getting 10 WHP from the Grimspeed intake.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Reaper (12-17-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #56
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
I've had the Greddy intake for over 2 years and I like it. Before I bought it, I already had the Greddy Evo3 exhaust. I tried the K&N for the hell of it while waiting for the Greddy intake on preorder. The K&N was a slight improvement over stock. The K&N oiled filter in hot climates is a recipe for MAF sensor contamination. I went through that with my Tacoma 4x4 and had to buy a new sensor. But the Greddy dry filter has been better than the K&N drop in. With the GReddy Intake, the car is defitinitely more responsive and sounds a whole lot better than stock or K&N with sound tube. I did remove the intake snorkel when I installed the intake. I connected the sound tube but I didn't drill a hole in the Greddy intake. I left the sound tube installed for future smog checks when I have to switch back to stock for inspection.
The Greddy intake matched with the Greddy Evo3 exhaust and the car breathes and responds way better than stock or with K&N drop in.
Damn I thought Victoria Australia had bad EPA rules. You Cali guys can actually get fined for a sealed aftermarket intake?

I have the aFe Takeda (Same as the Greddy), but I drilled a hole for the soundtube. Also removed the snorkel, cos the intructions explicitly recommended it.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold air, intake, k&n, naturally aspirated