follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Who has a deposit with your local dealer?

Hey all been quiet here a long while. I was originally going to wait till the end of 2013 to buy a (2014) FR-S but I got a good raise at work and want to try and get one right when they come out.

So I went down to my local dealer to see when they might start taking preorders and also talk about financing options. Well, it turns out they have been taking deposits for preorders since January. Its still too early to pick a color or options, but as soon as they have that information I will get a call. He said they would want me to come down and "build" the order with them.

Just curious if anyone else has done this yet, or even knew they could?

Thanks all,

- J
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I paid my $500 in December, I've ordered an Asphalt manual.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Alex

Drives: Subaru Impreza 2.5RS & Porsche 911
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alex
My brother has a $500 refundable deposit at two dealerships. But it's only to have first pick at what they get in. I don't know why everyone says they have a specific color or trim on "order" when Scion doesn't even know what they are getting, lol. Scion has the flat price and they get whatever colors and trans they get from the shipment. They may not even get the color you want and if they do, it might be auto and not manual.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I too have a deposit. Put $500 down on a Scion FR-S in the middle of January. At my local dealer, I'm 6th in a line of 15. So 6/15 isn't too bad.

But I did not have the choice of color or tranny. Right now the dealer is just going to get whatever they can from Toyota/Subaru and go from there. They expect all the cars to be manual (which is what I want) but they're unsure with what colors are coming.

They basically told me I can specify a color if I really want, but if I want to get the car sooner, I should leave my color choices open. Which of course I have.

That doesn't stop me from sending emails of "Ultramarine" GT86's to my Scion rep though.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
I've got my order in, and I'm the first at my dealer.

The way I've heard it will work is I will get first choice of color/trans from what they get in. if I don't want them I can defer and wait for the next allocation.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Garage
Thanks for the replies folks. As far as I know my buddy are the first and I am the second to get on the waiting list with our deposits. He wants a silver or white one and I am shooting for an orange (lava) one so we shouldn't have conflicting color choices. I am fine to wait till the next allocation if I am to to get the color I want. I plan on keeping this car for a long long time. I want to make sure I am happy with it. Over in the BRZ forums folks are talking a lot more about pre-orders.

Anyway very exciting. Really packing away as much money as I can for my down payment. If I can't get the car I want in the first allocation it just means I have more time to save up a bigger down. Also plan on getting a manual. Been driving a manual for too long to go back to an auto.

- J

Last edited by Kiteless; 03-09-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Verge

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ive got a deposit down and within the top 5 whiteout manual. Cant wait to go see and test drive one .
Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I put down the first deposit at the biggest Scion dealer in our region, which happened to be just a few miles from my house. Then I won the First 86, and moved my deposit over to that

Brett
Old 03-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My dealer told me because there is no price and no official release date they aren't taking deposits yet. If any dealer takes a deposit at this point it's at their own accord and it's some internal list, something organized by the dealer. As soon as Scion opens up pre-orders like Subaru did on the 1st of March at that point dealers will enter their lists into the system officially. Until then they are just holding your money at your risk. (they could mark the price up if they see fit due to demand, like a lot of users have reported their dealers doing) I realize most of these deposits are refundable but with no official pre-order list I can understand why my dealer denied my deposit.

They made it clear there was no waiting list as of yet and they are just taking names and color preferences. As soon as pre-orders open up, whenever they open up, I will get a call and swing by with my check. Some people may see this as a risk considering I don't have a set place in line, but I see it as a risk giving a deposit to a dealer that can't enter pre-orders into the official database.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Garage
Verge: The white looks fantastic. Honestly I think all the colors do. Hot Lava is calling my name though. I also really can't wait to test drive one. My local dealer claims to have the highest volume in the S.F. Bay Area, and they have also been there for 40 years. I dunno if they will but I am hoping that some or most dealers get a test car before they come out so folks on the waiting list can drive it.

Brett: Lucky guy! I am sure you hear this a lot from envious board members, alot but congrats. I have honestly never been this excited about a car, ever.

gt86mods: Fair enough. I figure a 40 year old established proper Toyota dealership is not going to steal my $500. It was all very official, they "coded" my reservation into the computer, I got a receipt signed by the sales manager, and a credit card receipt. If it doesn't work out I will be bummed, but I am not worried about loosing my deposit. They said I could cancel even if I am standing in front of the exact car I want and decide not to buy and still get my deposit back. At this point the only way I won't buy it is if they want too much $$$ for it.

Check out: http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/s...d-pricing.html

The calculator is great because it takes TAX into consideration. I have been putting in a hopeful $27,000 (hoping the car will come in under that with a few options and destination) and then the calculator adds tax. Then fiddling with loan term between 48 & 72 months, interest between 0 and 3 percent with at least $7000 down and the monthly payments are looking really good.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i put a 500 dollar deposit down at my local scion dealership in Canada and ordered a white frs with manual.

basically what they said is that when the orders come in, a white 6 speed will be allocated to their dealership and i will get first dibs on it (no body else gets to test drive it) and then i make my decision.

prior to that, if scion happens to release any options/add-ons, they will be negotiated prior to arrival of the car.

since it's refundable i really have nothing to lose.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Koomoo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I also Put $500 at my dealership for a Asphalt Manual.... and according to the dealers they don't know too much.... i also ask about TRD PARTS,ETA,PRICE.... Dealer said "TRD ADD ons" (What no package deal?) ETA "MAY or JUNE" (the same response i got from Suabru REP on BRZ) Price $25 grand what the guy said for FR-S then the Manager said $35 grand for BRZ at Subaru (i highly doubt that! with all the add ons "Limited version").... i wanted to aruge but too lazy lol
Koomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@7thgear... may I ask you where you live (approx)? I've seen a few of your posts, and I'm wondering if we'll both be getting the same car in the same area!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
my dealer is in Toronto, a block north from dufferin and steeles, a weitzes toyota branch (prolly got the spelling wrong)