follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 AM   #1
nichiolas

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Do u wrap your aftermarket header

I have got HKS EL manifold, Beatrush overpipe and ready to install them over the weekend. Currently deciding if I should wrap them before the install or leave them as is. Searched on the web and found various opinions on this topic.
Car is N/A at the moment but might go down to the supercharge route in a not too long distant future..
Another concern is I have put on a set of aftermarket engine mount and it seems by chance, the heat from the exhaust manifold may melt down the bushings. So, having the header wrap may reduce the risk of this.
Thoughts?
Cheers
nichiolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
BRZHarley

Drives: 69 Firebird, 2015 BRZ
Nickoilis

It's not required but I do it to keep the heat in the header....

Cheers

Ed
BRZHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you are worried then wrap it. Simple!

Also comes down to the design of the header and how efficient it is at extracting gasses. Most of the installs I've read would either wrap or ceramic coat, even if just for the peace of mind.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichiolas View Post
I have got HKS EL manifold, Beatrush overpipe and ready to install them over the weekend. Currently deciding if I should wrap them before the install or leave them as is. Searched on the web and found various opinions on this topic.
Car is N/A at the moment but might go down to the supercharge route in a not too long distant future..
Another concern is I have put on a set of aftermarket engine mount and it seems by chance, the heat from the exhaust manifold may melt down the bushings. So, having the header wrap may reduce the risk of this.
Thoughts?
Cheers
Hi,

Running borla EL header and exhaust (no catalitic) + vortech sc... Wrap would decrease header life, ceramic is nice. Btw no melting on my engine bay so far.
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
OP, I have had my catless Rev Works header on for about 8 months now and haven't noticed really any change as far as additional heat. I daily drive my car, with some spirited driving here and there, so I didn't think wrapping/coating was needed. I think a lot of the decision has to do with how you drive the car. If you track or autocross, it may be worth it because you'd be running the car harder for longer, and seeing much higher temps than you would get from daily driving, or even from spirited driving. I remember seeing a thread on here somewhere when I was researching this topic, and I'm sure there a multiple comparisons elsewhere, but someone did a comparison of a trackday/autocross session of various temps with a coated header vs. an un-coated one, and the coated header temps were significantly lower.

I'm not really sure if forced induction makes a big difference in heat in the engine bay, as I have never owned a FI car before, but I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

-J.B.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
dexter_5000

Drives: brz limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ceramic coating is the best option imo.
dexter_5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ceramic coated
Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I wrapped mine when I installed it. I plan to have it ceramic coated once I have some downtime on it.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
nichiolas

Drives: GT86
Thanks guys
I go to track days occasionally so will prefer either ceramic coating it heat wrap.
Think I will go with ceramic coating at this stage since it seems it does not come with the downside of heat wrap and has not too bad heat handling capability...
Cheers
nichiolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I ceramic coated my Ptuning header, and then wrapped it in DEI Ti wrap.
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We always wrap them with the DEI Titanium wrap, good stuff and much easier to use than the standard wrap.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gear_One_Performance For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (05-09-2016), Teseo (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wrapping/coating. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

I wrapped the header on my race car (CRX) and helped quite a bit. Dropped the oil temps by 20f and allowed the radiator to work more effectively. The D-B-H honda engines have the header that extends forward close the radiator then goes under the engine right up against the oil pan. Stock header had shielding, aftermarket do not.

Chose to wrap because it has the same outcome as coating, it was cheaper and I could do it myself inexpensively. Coating would cost more than the header is worth.

If I got an aftermarket header for the FRS I would probably wrap it too, for the same reasons.. It's effective and I'm "cost-conscious". The under-car shielding on our cars does a very good job on keeping away water and makes good sense to reduce underhood temps. Heat reduces life of rubber/plastic/electronic bits.

FYI for those doing any header wrapping.. Don't get the SS cable ties with the kit or from DEI. They WAY over charge for those. Get the SS cable ties from Harbor Freight. Way cheaper.
DAEMANO (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Wrapped my aftermarket UEL,then silicone sprayed it with DEI silicone spray. Finally coated just the back half of the oil pan (the side facing the header) with DEI Reflect-A-Gold sheet. Gotta keep the heat in the header and away/outside of the oil.

From what I've read (someplace), wrapping a header provides a significant advantage over coating (in terms of heat retention), but coating a header ensures no hot/cold spots from a poor/uneven wrap job which can cause metal/weld fatigue and even failure. Also coating protects against the kind of water damage that can occur if your wrapped header gets wet. This is what the DEI silicone spray helps to protect against. That is unless you submerge your wrapped header driving through an extremely flooded street.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote