follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Stop by Castrol’s SEMA booth for a certificate for a FREE 5qt. jug of oil, celebrity guest appearances and a $10,000 contest! #CastrolSEMA2016
But how do I get that on the plane to get home hmm...
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedFR-s For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-03-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Stop by Castrol’s SEMA booth for a certificate for a FREE 5qt. jug of oil, celebrity guest appearances and a $10,000 contest! #CastrolSEMA2016
You gonna be there?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been to SEMA a couple of times and, even though I am not professionally connected in any way to the automotive industry and got my ticket through a friend of a friend, I was disappointed that there were so many non-industry people there. Yeah, I guess that is somewhat hypocritical...

Seems to me that SEMA is no longer a semi-secret aftermarket parts show anymore. I think they should just go ahead and open it to the public, it's so crowded now anyway. Leave the first one or two days closed to the public and then sell astronomically priced tickets for the rest of the show. They'd probably make a ton of money for a few years, anyway. As it is now, it might as well just be open to the public. They had drifting ride alongs, new car test driving areas, bunch of kids running around, and a whole bunch more crap going on that made me wonder how they can call it "closed to the public". When I asked a simple question about wheels (load capacity?), I usually just got a "hmmmm... not sure." I tried to pick up a wheel to check myself (Volk, Weds, Enkei), and they treated me like... I was some dumb retail customer, "please sir, we don't like people touching the wheels".

It's a HUGE show. We went for a couple days and we still could not cover everything.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-03-2016), swarb (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #18
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
You gonna be there?
Sorry if I made it seem I work for Castrol.
But yes I'm going a bit late but will be there Thursday/Friday.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #19
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Sorry if I made it seem I work for Castrol.
But yes I'm going a bit late but will be there Thursday/Friday.
K, I'll check it out, when I got time. Make sure to have sexy babes & extra oils for me lol
Old 11-02-2016, 02:54 AM   #20
swarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
I've been to SEMA a couple of times and, even though I am not professionally connected in any way to the automotive industry and got my ticket through a friend of a friend, I was disappointed that there were so many non-industry people there. Yeah, I guess that is somewhat hypocritical...

Seems to me that SEMA is no longer a semi-secret aftermarket parts show anymore. I think they should just go ahead and open it to the public, it's so crowded now anyway. Leave the first one or two days closed to the public and then sell astronomically priced tickets for the rest of the show. They'd probably make a ton of money for a few years, anyway. As it is now, it might as well just be open to the public. They had drifting ride alongs, new car test driving areas, bunch of kids running around, and a whole bunch more crap going on that made me wonder how they can call it "closed to the public". When I asked a simple question about wheels (load capacity?), I usually just got a "hmmmm... not sure." I tried to pick up a wheel to check myself (Volk, Weds, Enkei), and they treated me like... I was some dumb retail customer, "please sir, we don't like people touching the wheels".

It's a HUGE show. We went for a couple days and we still could not cover everything.
Yes, that is true. Closed to the public keeps it somewhat less crowded although it already is. And to make people feel more exclusive(you dropped 30 large, here's some tickets! ps can we borrow your car?)... It's a job for some and a hobby/passion for others. Some lucky folk make it both.

They don't want people touching the products because they don't want it stolen or damaged. They aren't behind glass so cameras can take good pics for the media and whatnot. It would be a nightmare to have pics of your damaged product online!! Picking up the wheel.... is your arm scale calibrated in oomphs or hnnngs? Load rating are different in different sizes and depends on what certification/testing they used. I'm sure if you were a dealer they would email the certification to you. The booth people can be anyone,, engineers, sales, drivers, business owners, car owners, or hotties. You need to talk to the right person to get the right answer. I'm not gonna ask a hottie about load ratings(engineer) or cost(sales rep). Always ask before you touch the goods.
Although it does feel like a public showcase and people act that way, it is still industry run. Go to aapex if you want to see a more professional atmosphere, and don't show up in shorts.
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
MrDinkleman (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 02:58 AM   #21
swarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
K, I'll check it out, when I got time. Make sure to have sexy babes & extra oils for me lol
Nobody wants itchy tacos!!
I'll make sure to have some tranny oil for you!
And some for your rear end!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-03-2016), ichitaka05 (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:02 AM   #22
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Haha nice! I need to do tran fluid soon, so perfect!

I'll check it out Thursday
Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #23
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post

It was never meant to be a "semi-secret aftermarket parts show" to begin with.

As was covered by the keynote speech at the opening breakfast yesterday, the show is more industry-focused than ever. The fun stuff isn't meant for the end user, it's meant to showcase what is possible for vehicle platforms, and also meant to show customer appreciation for dealers, resellers, and distributors.

And yes, we do not want people touching the items in the booth unless it was done in a way for you to touch and feel. For every person that "knows what they are doing", there's 100 more that don't, and all it takes is for one person to be careless and your entire show is ruined.

SEMA actually tried a hybrid industry/public show over a decade ago (International Auto Salon). Even with it being in Los Angeles, attendance was absurdly low and they canned it after a couple of years. Opening up this show to the public would not get the revenue that you think will so easily show up, and would really discourage manufacturers and vendors from participating at the event because of the different target market in attendance.

At the end of the day, SEMA is basically two things: 1) large scale targeted marketing, and 2) large scale selling/buying opportunity for exhibitors/attendees... but I agree, they should open it up to the public if you only have been going for a handful of years, or you're not working within this industry.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
MrDinkleman (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #24
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@ Swarb and Mav1178:

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I guess it was just my disappointment in what I was expecting vs. what I actually got...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #25
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Why would I want to spend hella money to look at a bunch of "build" that don't have engines, driveshafts, vinyl wraps that cover door handles/windows, hacked up fenders (because fender flares are SO in right now) or see whatever the fuck else that got half assedly rushed to be able to make the show? Anything worth seeing, I can catch online.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Why would I want to spend hella money to look at a bunch of "build" that don't have engines, driveshafts, vinyl wraps that cover door handles/windows, hacked up fenders (because fender flares are SO in right now) or see whatever the fuck else that got half assedly rushed to be able to make the show? Anything worth seeing, I can catch online.

funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-03-2016), Dark (11-04-2016), go_a_way1 (11-03-2016), Re_Invention (11-07-2016), Tcoat (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #27
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Yo swarb, where's Castrol booth? I was looking but I couldn't find it... I should of DL SEMA app. I'll try to find you tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #28
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Went to Castrol booth... saw Michele, but no swarb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk