follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Australia Classifieds

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #29
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I used to have the Perrin/unresonated and thought it sounded pretty good with stock manifold but as soon as I went uel that all went out the window beautifully made too.

As for STI - it's early days but it's more than I was expecting, superbly made, beautiful looking exhaust with gorgeous large angled tips bigger is better they look so much better in person & then you start the car and suddenly realise it's louder than I was anticipating @ low revs & tappers off to a light growl after 3Krpm & beyond unlike the Perrin which actually got louder & raspier. I was hoping for a more subtle note @ lower revs but it does sound deep & ballsy just like a Rex - BR86 now sounds as good as it looks.

I'm thinking of making a slight mod to the midpipe only, looking to make a new one & see what that sounds like otherwise I may just leave it. My neighbor reckons it's too quiet then again he got a really loud Skyline.
Stay tuned

Last edited by ZZT86; 06-17-2016 at 04:26 AM. Reason: more than a whisper . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
I'm thinking of making a slight mod to the midpipe only, looking to make a new one & see what that sounds like otherwise I may just leave it. My neighbor reckons it's too quiet then again he got a really loud Skyline.
Stay tuned
I think finding the 'perfect' sound for this car is virtually impossible. When you get a great axle back note, it's fine till 3k rpm then there's drone in the most useable rev range. You pay another $600 for a hi flow catted front pipe and that does very little except throw the tone out again. Then when you add headers, especially uncatted, the whole lots virtually uselessly loud and you have to resort to the OEM rear muffler. That's precisely why you never sell them or get rid of them.

My theory after probably spending near on $4k on exhaust bits is work from the front back. Headers, OP, hi flow front pipe, larger resonated midpipe (to kill the decibel increase from the headers), and AB last. The OEM rear muffler will handle the noise increase of each upgrade till you finally get around to thinking about changing it.

I think with your setup (can't remember if you have a Hi-flow front pipe or not) like mine leaves very few alternatives except replacing and increasing the diameter/length of the resonator which is obviously what you're doing. Can probably go an extra 300mm length wise but not sure about side clearances.

I'll be very interested, given I'm in a similar predicament, to see how you go.

Good luck with it...
Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #31
ZZT86

I have the UEL manifiold & stock everything else plus the STI AB. With the stock AB it sounds almost dead quiet/stock.

I went in & spoke to my exhaust man yester, he was busy & in a slack cbf kinda mood, the other day he said anything was possible then when the car was up on the hoist yester his tune changed to "not much can be done" to improve on what's already there given the good quality & size of the stock midpipe resonator & basically backed out of doing any work to the car ! He did offer to make & install a perfed plate to insert b/w the axleback & the end of the midpipe which also introduces more undesirable back pressure (not good for hi-revs & I'm sure I've lost some top end hp) but since I rarely venture there I thought why not try it. It took him all of 5-10 minutes to make & install & has muffled it some but not much. It sounds pretty good really, I'll see how I go.

Can anyone out there recommend a really good exhaust place in Melb preferably not in the east / south east?

Anyone out there interested in selling their stock mid pipe to me ? I want to experiment with it !
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #32
jpbrz

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the UEL manifiold & stock everything else plus the STI AB. With the stock AB it sounds almost dead quiet/stock.

I went in & spoke to my exhaust man yester, he was busy & in a slack cbf kinda mood, the other day he said anything was possible then when the car was up on the hoist yester his tune changed to "not much can be done" to improve on what's already there given the good quality & size of the stock midpipe resonator & basically backed out of doing any work to the car ! He did offer to make & install a perfed plate to insert b/w the axleback & the end of the midpipe which also introduces more undesirable back pressure (not good for hi-revs & I'm sure I've lost some top end hp) but since I rarely venture there I thought why not try it. It took him all of 5-10 minutes to make & install & has muffled it some but not much. It sounds pretty good really, I'll see how I go.

Can anyone out there recommend a really good exhaust place in Melb preferably not in the east / south east?

Anyone out there interested in selling their stock mid pipe to me ? I want to experiment with it !
Check Midas in Greensborough as they just took off my cat back system on Thursday. They may still have it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #33
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
He did offer to make & install a perfed plate to insert b/w the axleback & the end of the midpipe which also introduces more undesirable back pressure (not good for hi-revs & I'm sure I've lost some top end hp) but since I rarely venture there I thought why not try it. It took him all of 5-10 minutes to make & install & has muffled it some but not much. It sounds pretty good really, I'll see how I go.
So like a perforated exhaust gasket?

If your exhaust with UEL and stock rest is OEM quiet my hi flow catted front pipe must be the culprit. Looks like I'll have to put my OEM front pipe back on. Thank god it's probably the easiest pipe to change over apart from AB.

I see where he's coming from with regard to the 'not being much that can be done with the resonator'. I don't know what sizes resonators come in but as far as I can see 6" on each end would probably be the max you could get. A lot of work and expense for what might be minimal improvement.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #34
ZZT86

@Bodalenko If you have catless header plus an aftermarket catback then it will be LOUD ! Plus an aftermarket front pipe = LOUDER

Shove the stock axle back on & you should be happy.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #35
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
@Bodalenko If you have catless header plus an aftermarket catback then it will be LOUD ! Plus an aftermarket front pipe = LOUDER

Shove the stock axle back on & you should be happy.
Did that and yeah it's a lot quieter but mine, due to the front pipe having a Helmholtz fitted, has a different sound again.

Incidentlty since we're talking about the STI axle back, has anyone noticed that the MXP axle back has a design layout very similar to the STI? By that I mean twin resonators side by side mounted east west?

Apart from the YouTube clips and reading a bit about them, I don't know much about MXP re quality or availability here, but the clips, as much as YouTube clips can, sound pretty good when used with a UEL system.

Anyne have one and care to comment on them?

PS; Just saw this on eBay. Mentions 'Stock Exhaust' as being available and is in Epping, Vic

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT86-FT86...oAAOSw9eVXWH3b

Last edited by Bodalenko; 06-22-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #36
ZZT86

Yep saw that long time ago, similar but not the same. Mars also make a similar setup but horrible quality imo. MXP seems noisier than the STI & where to get from OZ? There were a few others I really liked from GReddy & Fujitsubo but getting them here from Japan made them expensive.

Personally unless you're chasing biggest hp gains NA I wouldn't bother with a front pipe or even an overpipe - just leave them stock.

Thanks to @jpbrz I already have a stock midpipe to test & modify, I will find out Sat am what can really be done with the limited space in the middle of the car. The aim will be to keep stock pipe diameter but have 2 resonators instead of 1. The perfed gasket will come out to rectify hi-flow to system.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #37
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Yeah sourcing the MXP looks like an OS effort and I'm over buying anything dearer than $50 OS.

The eBay guy wants $250 for the OEM exhaust with 14k kms on it if anyone else is interested. There is a mod to the OEM muffler that apparently makes a difference, louder, to them but require cutting and re welding.

QC re Oz sourced for the majority is just rebadged China stuff and QC is well below that of OS manufacturers.

Sad but when you have unskilled workers on $80k and more, a small market, low volume car and a low $A that's the reality. Nobody is going to pay $2k for an Oz manufactured axle back no matter how good the QC or sound is.

I'd still love to see what a decent exhaust builder would charge to make a bespoke AB similar to the STI and MXP with quality stainless resonators and tubing that bolts up to the OEM mid pipe. $800 -1000? Only problem is that until its built you can't really tell how loud it is going to be.

Agree about the OP and FP. Only reason I changed my FP was to get one with the Helmholtz in the hope it would stop or reduce the drone. It didn't!! Replaced the OP because it just made sense to get both the headers and OP HPC'd at the same time if I was going to pull the headers off. Just my reasoning...

Replacing and coating the OP was a $330 exercise so in the scope of things it was relatively cheap to do. Cheap, not easy, especially when trying no to scrape the new coating off.

The OEM FP has a weird resonator behind the cat, What about a bullet resonator replacing it or adding to it? Again room is probably the issue.

Harmonics is a science in itself and why the supercar manufacturers spend millions tuning their exhaust.

If you get your 86 sounding like a V10 Audi A8 let me know!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #38
ZZT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
Sad but when you have unskilled workers on $80k and more . . . . . If you get your 86 sounding like a V10 Audi A8 let me know!

Haha . . . then I should be on $150Kplus . . . which sector is earning that coin, I wana be a part of it

Mate if I get my car to sound like those R8's I'd bottle the secret & sell it to everyone it's the only Audi I actually like & they sound fukn magnificent !
Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #39
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Smile

Quote:
Haha . . . then I should be on $150Kplus . . . which sector is earning that coin, I wana be a part of it

Mate if I get my car to sound like those R8's I'd bottle the secret & sell it to everyone it's the only Audi I actually like & they sound fukn magnificent !
City link upgrade worker, Skyrail workers and Mero Tunnel workers for a start. Plus penalty rates for weekends and night shift. Plus RDO's. Dirty work but well paid.

What, more fuk'n magnificent than the 86 with sound tube? Find that hard to believe!

Agree re the V10 R8. That YouTube clip, I'm sure you've seen it, of the V10 on a dyno running to redline up and then back down the gears as the exhaust glows red is incredible to hear as well as watch.

For a laugh I bought an iPhone app that uses the inertia of the car accelerating and braking on the g force sensor in the iPhone. Makes the sound or a car accelerating and decelerating as the car does the same for real.

Comes with a selection of V8 and, I think, Ferrari exhaust notes. I'll have to reload it and see if the v10 Audi is available. I think it could be set up to play thru the cars speakers. Probably, unless the lotto numbers finally drop in my favour, I'll ever get to experience the sound inside one.

So how'd the mid pipe experiment end up? Positive result?

Last edited by Bodalenko; 06-28-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #40
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Would love to grab one of those. They are really beautiful, and I think perfect for when I go UEL.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #41
ZZT86

@Bodalenko - ahh yes I know about some of those but surely they know what they're doing ? . . . . :| I know of someone who works for the LXRA & he's getting $5K per week !

Anyhow back to the STI & that midpipe . . . yep I now have a new midpipe & yes it's worked ! Not a huge difference but enough to tame the noisy bark @ 100kmph to a purr which I can tolerate, the rest is just sweet Rex rumble which I love. If I want more noise all I have to do is shove the stock midpipe back on & I'm done. The perfed gasket has been removed & flow has been restored. There's now two (2) different sized resonators in the midpipe which are rectangular in shape so I'm not convinced the flow is as good as stock but it's damn near enough. I think I'll just leave it at that
Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #42
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Yes they have uni degrees in shovel use

So you removed the hotdog and replaced it with 2 rectangle shaped mufflers? Brand/dimensions?

That sounds like a good outcome. An enjoyable and legal DB level and you keep the original routing of the exhaust in case you want to go OEM.

Cost in case I want to go down that path? Place you had it done? Attitude and skill of fitter?

No point having a good light axle back that's too noisy sitting around in the garage if there's a relatively easy and cheap fix.

Speaking of cost, are you prepared to disclose the cost? I imagine install would be pretty easy.

Closed Thread