follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #29
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This has come back hard for me and I'm getting really tired of it. I'm fine with keeping it in manual mode forever, but after a year of it, if the easiest fix is to start in M and not use cruise control, etc., I might as well have saved a bunch of money and bellyaching over this and just bought a manual or used s2k.

Going to the dealer this weekend to harass them over this. Quickly the honeymoon period is ending for me with this stupid transmission.
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-14-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-22-2015), MechEGR (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
This has come back hard for me and I'm getting really tired of it. I'm fine with keeping it in manual mode forever, but after a year of it, if the easiest fix is to start in M and not use cruise control, etc., I might as well have saved a bunch of money and bellyaching over this and just bought a manual or used s2k.

Going to the dealer this weekend to harass them over this. Quickly the honeymoon period is ending for me with this stupid transmission.
My dealership has basically told me to fuck off with this. They'll only look at it if the car is entirely stock as well. Maybe over the winter.

I'm in the same boat as you, though I bought the car when my situation was different than it is now, but I just wish I had have gone with a manual from the start. Oh well, not much I can do, except for be at the mercy of Toyota for now.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #31
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
My dealership has basically told me to fuck off with this. They'll only look at it if the car is entirely stock as well. Maybe over the winter.

I'm in the same boat as you, though I bought the car when my situation was different than it is now, but I just wish I had have gone with a manual from the start. Oh well, not much I can do, except for be at the mercy of Toyota for now.
I'm literally taking everything non cosmetic right off my car before I go in. If they tell me to fuck off I'm probably going to sell the car. Just paid it off and I'm having visions of a shitty 4 or 5 years before resale tanks and I'm really not interested in that future.

I'd probably take it to another dealership to sell bc I'm sure if I harass them about this the last thing they want is the next owner coming back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-14-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #32
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post

A quick update in case you probably didn't see the other post- after taking a video of the issue for my dealer, on my way home a truck backed into my front end while I was at a red light so it's gonna be at the shop until the end of the month at least. Hood's toast, bumper gone, maybe fenders. So until I have it back nothing's going anywhere near the dealer but when I do get it there I'll post here again.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'm starting to feel this now, I keep it in manual mode nearly 100% of the time now and realize no one else drives the car other than me contrary to what I originally though when I bought it. It's making it slightly regrettable getting the auto
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-24-2015), fatalelement (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #34
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'm starting to feel this now, I keep it in manual mode nearly 100% of the time now and realize no one else drives the car other than me contrary to what I originally though when I bought it. It's making it slightly regrettable getting the auto
That was me. After about a year of 100% manual mode I finally have enough early morning stop and go where I want to drink a coffee and relax in D and I realized that this predictably happens now.

Super peeved. If I'm gonna be in manual mode 100% of the time I might as well be much faster at the expense of pushing my left foot down sometimes.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
That was me. After about a year of 100% manual mode I finally have enough early morning stop and go where I want to drink a coffee and relax in D and I realized that this predictably happens now.

Super peeved. If I'm gonna be in manual mode 100% of the time I might as well be much faster at the expense of pushing my left foot down sometimes.

Yea it's predictable now for alot of us, I'm gonna make a poll thread and gauge how widespread this issue is, alot of people are complaining about it but nothing is happening. My logic is I don't mind the auto if it works correctly all the time as it should, but if it screws up like it does now it isn't enjoyable at all
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
fatalelement (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #36
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96615
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
fatalelement (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #37
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Thanks for doing this - my dealer seems (?) reasonable so the more I can furnish them at the end of the month when I have my car back (assuming it's not totaled) the better.

If anything comes of it, I'll post all the details here. My father was a pretty successful attorney in the US and I do patent litigation, so neither of us are interested in being taken for a ride by the dealership so one way or another it's either getting fixed or given a pretty good trade in lol. We are both reasonable until we need to be highly obnoxious

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #38
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thanks for doing this - my dealer seems (?) reasonable so the more I can furnish them at the end of the month when I have my car back (assuming it's not totaled) the better.

If anything comes of it, I'll post all the details here. My father was a pretty successful attorney in the US and I do patent litigation, so neither of us are interested in being taken for a ride by the dealership so one way or another it's either getting fixed or given a pretty good trade in lol. We are both reasonable until we need to be highly obnoxious

Good to know, in the past there were issues when the car came out and Toyota was super receptible to widespread issues and released TSBs immediately. This has been an issue with people for some time and there hasn't been any fix only because dealers seem to like saying its "normal" or "not repeatable" even though a tech says that's not right. Hopefully, they take care of it, I have a TCM sitting in my basement from a 2013 FR-S I would totally swap that in when I get time but I wanna see what the current TSB does.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #39
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My dealership is still waiting to hear back from Toyota about the data logging they sent them, but both the dealership and the local Toyota rep were able to repeat this issue and they all agree that it's a problem and they're doing a good job of documenting it. Hopefully we'll have an answer to this soon. They also had trouble flashing my TCM so I have no idea if the new TSB fixes this or not.
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
My dealership is still waiting to hear back from Toyota about the data logging they sent them, but both the dealership and the local Toyota rep were able to repeat this issue and they all agree that it's a problem and they're doing a good job of documenting it. Hopefully we'll have an answer to this soon. They also had trouble flashing my TCM so I have no idea if the new TSB fixes this or not.
Damn, first oil change for me is during thanksgiving I'll bring it up then and try and make them flash the new TCM logic and see if it's reproducible after that.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #41
dazob

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
**UPDATE**
Good news young man... I wouldn't sell my ride if the shift issue is all that you're worried about. I believe your transmission problem will eventually deminish, mine did. Don't waste your time at the dealership or with corporate (I already have for about 4 months ) the bottom line from corporate.... "This is a characteristic of this vehicle and there's no fix or recall available at this time". So Enjoy my friend, and keep it in MM.. cause it's the only way to drive an 86 with an autobox!
dazob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #42
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's way too early to say anything for certain but...for now, I had the TSB done for the idle hunt issue, and after a few days, NO hard shifting (so far). I want to give it at least a week before I consider the problem gone.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V_86 For This Useful Post:
MechEGR (11-09-2015)