follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
New jack design

So we all know the pinch welds on these cars are about as strong as a box of cardboard that's been left out in a hurricane. I came across this video of a new jack design that could be a pretty great solution, assuming you're jacking the car up one corner at a time and not from a front or rear jack point.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTwHC4tnd7s"]Powerbuilt U-Jack 2 Ton Floor Jack with Jackstand Saddle Slot - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Or buy an insert for your jack. Search "floor jack saddle insert for pinch welds"
Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why would you ever need to jack up the car from any point other than the front and rear spots?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Why would you ever need to jack up the car from any point other than the front and rear spots?
I use the front and rear points, but I'm sure there are people out there who don't. And there are people on here who own cars other than their Toyobaru too.
LOLS2K (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
Or buy an insert for your jack. Search "floor jack saddle insert for pinch welds"
Yeah, I've seen stuff like that before. Certainly works too, this just seems like a more thought out solution.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well In my case my jack is not low enough to reach the front jacking point. What I normally do is drive the front of the car up on ramps. Block the front tires just to make sure it cant come back down the ramps. Jack up the rear. put the jack stands under the rear. Then go to the front and jack it up high enough to get it off the ramp on each side and remove the ramps. Have done it this way a few times. Aside from getting a lower profile jack that can reach the intended jack point thats my safest option. Maybe someone else can chime in ideas?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Well In my case my jack is not low enough to reach the front jacking point. What I normally do is drive the front of the car up on ramps. Block the front tires just to make sure it cant come back down the ramps. Jack up the rear. put the jack stands under the rear. Then go to the front and jack it up high enough to get it off the ramp on each side and remove the ramps. Have done it this way a few times. Aside from getting a lower profile jack that can reach the intended jack point thats my safest option. Maybe someone else can chime in ideas?
Low profile jack is definitely the best option, but even those will have a point at which you get too low and have to employ some sort of block/ramp system.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
granted we call all do it properly at home, but professional garages almost all have the side-lift arms that lift at the pinch welds. They WILL lift your car by these points, even seen dealers do it. The last shop i used to hang an exhaust bent one of my pinch welds because they didn't have adapters. most shops don't have or use them.

So I bought four slotted 'pinch weld adapters' from amazon and mounted them permanently over the pinch welds. Reinforced forever, job done.

post here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ld#post2836130
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canyons For This Useful Post:
8R6 (01-26-2017), Yardjass (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post

yes on ramps but you don't need much. FYI Car lowered slightly on coil-overs. I got two short 1x8 boards from the scrap bin at home depot and beveled the front edges. i drive up on those and my jack now clears the front bumper to reach the jacking point. I guess you could double up on the 1x8s if you need a bigger lift....
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyons View Post
yes on ramps but you don't need much. FYI Car lowered slightly on coil-overs. I got two short 1x8 boards from the scrap bin at home depot and beveled the front edges. i drive up on those and my jack now clears the front bumper to reach the jacking point. I guess you could double up on the 1x8s if you need a bigger lift....
Im lowered enough that I dont think a 1x8 would cut it. my car ramps as it is I need an extra inch before the ramp so that the front does not scrap on the way up the ramp. I really dont like ramps lol. I have a open stall in the garage so may as well just get one of them drive over lifts like they have for motorcycles lol
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

*New Jack*

But in all seriousness, i jack my car up from the pinch welds every time. Its too low to fit the jack under to reach the jacking points.
Would have bought this style if it was available when i got my jack.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
because the car is too low to fit a jack under front/rear lol. the front splitter and rear diffuser makes it difficult also cuz then the handle for the jack has less range of motion to pump even if you can get it under after using a low ramp. i cant raise mine from just the rear anyway. the front splitter hits the ground before i can even get any height to squeeze in a jack stand under the sides lol
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
because the car is too low to fit a jack under front/rear lol. the front splitter and rear diffuser makes it difficult also cuz then the handle for the jack has less range of motion to pump even if you can get it under after using a low ramp. i cant raise mine from just the rear anyway. the front splitter hits the ground before i can even get any height to squeeze in a jack stand under the sides lol
I understand where you're coming from. Mine just barely clears the front and rear, but if mine had less clearance I would just drive up on some wood planks instead of jacking from a less than ideal point.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
8R6 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
I could see this being useful.

My Velox rear diffuser is too low to get a jack under the diff, and front end is kind of the same. So I jack each side by the pinch welds, and would also like to place the jack stand under the jacking point. This accomplishes that. Only prob is that it doesn't look very low profile-ish and it's actuator arm thing is kinda short-ish.

Can't someone make a lightweight super low profile jack with a long arm THING for us? ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
8R6 (01-27-2017)