follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #43
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

Who's seriously saying an 86 is faster than the Supra?
Did Toyota lie about 4.1 seconds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
https://jalopnik.com/the-lowest-four...-hp-1831734785

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...der-us-market/

They have a 194hp 4cyl (outside the states). The 86 is quicker than a Supra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
We can finally brag
Obviously in response to the 4 cylinder comment. I have not seen that the US is not getting it confirmed yet, but who knows.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #44
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The MT is not dead yet and won't be in the near future. Sure many of the vehicles that still have it are not on this forums wish list but that doesn't mean it is dead. I count around 75 North Americana vehicles that still offer it. There are probably two or three times that many in Europe and Asia.
I think one of the things that will be the "final nail" is the increase in the number of gears to meet mileage regulations and such. There is no way in heck I would want a manual that matches the recent AT gearings of 8 or 10 gears. The F150 I recently had as a loaner had a 10 speed AT transmission. I tried shifting manually, geez what a pain the axle.

I will say though I was sad to see RAM's announcement that they are discontinuing the manual transmission option in their trucks in the next model year. They were the last hold out in the small truck arena.

Besides in 10 years we are all be driving electric vehicles or riding around in autonomous ride shares won't we? Then it won't matter. Probably means I'll have to give up my flying car though, at least that predication came true....oh wait.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #45
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Shifting gears on your own is the very definition of a driver. Pointing the steering column in a direction and mashing a single pedal does not make a driver.

Understanding weather, tire and road conditions, knowing when to down or upshift based on vehicle load and terrain combined with previously mentioned attributes...that, at a minimum, is what makes a competent driver...
I think you are confusing a car with a (good) AT with an autonomous vehicle. I have an AT and I can do everything you mention above, I just don't have to use my left leg (although admittedly I do catch myself at times pushing the phantom clutch pedal when shifting gears manually).

Oh and while we are talking about it, there are a lot of systems between you and the road that put you one level back from "pure driving". Even with the nannies turned off there is power steering, fly by wire gas pedals, 100's of other little things that are to some extent "automated" that isolate you from being your definition of a competent driver.

Look, you are entitled to your opinion but I'm entitled to think you are misguided in your belief. That's OK we can still be friends. I'm glad the MT option is still available for those that want it. Heck, I'd love to have a new CTS-V Wagon with an MT, but I also am realist enough to know that companies are going to sell what the majority of what their customers want. They are willing to feed the enthusiasts if there is money (or marketing advantage that leads to money) to be made.

I think the only way the MT survives long-term is if it is made a premium option. That's what I would do if I ran a car company. I'm guessing at this point it would actually cost more per unit to design and deliver a new MT than a new AT.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 01-18-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-17-2019), Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #46
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you think the Supra is ugly, just wait. If there is a next-gen 86, it will look even worse.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-18-2019), Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
If you think the Supra is ugly, just wait. If there is a next-gen 86, it will look even worse.
And Corolla. And Priuis. And just about all Toyotas until they get away from the droopy nose, fake vent, ultra aggressive phase they are in.
Dadhawk (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #48
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Shifting gears on your own is the very definition of a driver. Pointing the steering column in a direction and mashing a single pedal does not make a driver.

Understanding weather, tire and road conditions, knowing when to down or upshift based on vehicle load and terrain combined with previously mentioned attributes...that, at a minimum, is what makes a competent driver.

If I was simply a fan of shifting gears I'd get a motorcycle. Much cheaper, faster and nearly unlimited options. Yet that's not what I'm interested in. At all. Understanding the dynamics, limitations and mechanical attributes of my car, and myself as a driver, are what matters to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
There must have been something wrong with the AT I had, as I was able to all of the above except use my left foot. LOL, muh "driver involvement" can only happen in an MT. I suspect there are a few AT drivers here who could leave you for dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #49
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I just don't see the 86 continuing for another 3 model years with no changes. It would be a 10 year old platform at that point. They are going to have to either update or let it die before then.
Nah, Toyota should challenge the 370z, which is in the 11th year of production. But hey, it is also the 50th anniversary of the Z nameplate, so it would actually be fitting if Nissan finally pulled the plug this year.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-16-2019), Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Nah, Toyota should challenge the 370z, which is in the 11th year of production. But hey, it is also the 50th anniversary of the Z nameplate, so it would actually be fitting if Nissan finally pulled the plug this year.
And they still have done nothing about those damned bulbous, protruding, ugly as hell, door handles!
Dadhawk (01-16-2019), strat61caster (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #51
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
LOL? From road and Track's interview with Tada about a manual Supra; he mentions the 86. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a25909163/toyota-supra-manual-transmission-future-plans/

Tada explained that the potential for a manual Supra is complicated by the positioning of the 86, which, of course, offers a stick shift. "I don't want to sound too business-y, but I also need to support the 86. Looking at the role of the 86 and the role of the Supra, I want to differentiate, make sure they each have their own identity," he said. "If the Supra had a manual transmission, there's nowhere for the 86 to go."

What? Hey, at least he talks about supporting the 86. Whatever that is worth.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-20-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #52
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
There must have been something wrong with the AT I had, as I was able to all of the above except use my left foot. LOL, muh "driver involvement" can only happen in an MT. I suspect there are a few AT drivers here who could leave you for dead.

I love driving MT. It's not a question of whether or not it makes me a better driver than anyone else, or if MT is better than AT, or any of the other chest-thumping arguments that crop up here and elsewhere. There are great musicians, holding a completely crappy student-line horn, who can play circles around an average musician holding the best instrument in the world; skill is skill. Great players don't always agree what makes a great horn, and to think that one person is "right" is just... well... wrong.

I love driving MT. It's more involving for me, I feel like I have more control in bad conditions (I might not, but I don't care.. I feel like I do), there's less to go wrong mechanically (although that gap's closed a lot, too), more options if things DO go wrong... there's a very long list why I prefer MT especially in cars that are more than appliances. Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate a good appliance.

For me, it will be a very sad day when it becomes impossible to find RWD MT cars. Why? Because I like them. Period.
DAEMANO (01-20-2019), Tcoat (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #53
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Countdown to someone buying A new Supra, yanking out the BMW power plant and sticking a 20-year old 2JZ-GTE in there...

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Countdown to someone buying A new Supra, yanking out the BMW power plant and sticking a 20-year old 2JZ-GTE in there...

or a boxer.
MJones_RB (01-17-2019), nikitopo (01-16-2019), Yoshoobaroo (01-20-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #55
PetrolioBenzina

But is sure is "agressive" in its ugliness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-18-2019), Ultramaroon (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #56
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I love driving MT. It's not a question of whether or not it makes me a better driver than anyone else, or if MT is better than AT, or any of the other chest-thumping arguments that crop up here and elsewhere. There are great musicians, holding a completely crappy student-line horn, who can play circles around an average musician holding the best instrument in the world; skill is skill. Great players don't always agree what makes a great horn, and to think that one person is "right" is just... well... wrong.

I love driving MT. It's more involving for me, I feel like I have more control in bad conditions (I might not, but I don't care.. I feel like I do), there's less to go wrong mechanically (although that gap's closed a lot, too), more options if things DO go wrong... there's a very long list why I prefer MT especially in cars that are more than appliances. Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate a good appliance.

For me, it will be a very sad day when it becomes impossible to find RWD MT cars. Why? Because I like them. Period.
Not my argument, I agree with you. It's the other dude who insists an MT is the sole measure of a driver.
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-18-2019)