follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
See, now we're making sense. If you want to pity me anything it's that I'm in Houston where the curvy bits are few and far between. My biggest kick lives in the on and off ramps which thankfully are smooth, banked and made for speed.

But therein lies the difference. The FR-S is my DD. I don't have anything else to "take". So I let it do what it does well, which is be mild-mannered and thrifty during the day to day commute, and loads of tire-squealing, tail-happy fun on the track once a month. Burning fuel just for the sake of it doesn't seem like fun to me; I feel like one of the things that makes this car so special is you can have the best of both worlds.
I hear ya on the lack of nice roads!
I manage to have some fun here and there but most of my drive is stuck on a 2 hour stretch of highway so I still average 32MPG even with my high rev shifting during the rare occasions I actually am not in 6th and on cruise.
It has been so long since my mileage indicator changed I actually reset it the other day to make sure it was working.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #86
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wanting fuel economy when you can't drive fast does not mean you drive slowly!

If I have a car in front or am at 60ish in a 60 limit what the **** is the point sitting in 3rd gear?

If I'm in slow moving commuter hour traffic and I can keep up with traffic at 1.5k rpm, why would I waste fuel and drive around like a **** at 5k rpm?

If I can in these situations where speed is neither appropriate nor possible, I save fuel and amuse myself trying to get as high an MPG as I can.

Give me clear road and I'll usually, though not always get the rev light on until I get to the speed limit (ish).
Dake (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #87
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my rough averages i worked out over my ownership. about 60/40 hwy/city under normal driving circumstances. (maybe 1-2 wot runs, otherwise just normal cruising around)

27 mpg stock,
26 mpg 18x9.5 wheels w/ r-compound tires
18 mpg w/ same wheels but running e85-90
21 mpg w/ supercharger on 91