follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Koolkiid

Drives: 2013 Toyota Gt-86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catless Vs HFC?

Hello, Everyone

I want to go with catless front pipe/ High Flow cat, but I've never done it to any other cars I've owned. The Fr-s is the first car that has inspired me for modifications . I would like to hear from your experiences. I also live in Cali and regulations here are pretty harsh.

I've heard things like catless will make your smell pretty bad, raspy sound, drone, cops will stop you if they are behind you and smell it (3k fine). How bad this things are??

Positives: Better throttle response, Hp gains, and deep exhaust sound I like!!

Lets hear them!!

Thanks Guys!
Koolkiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Already been tested on our cars. At least for N/A, there is no real advantage of going catless. Get a high flow no performance lost, not too bad of a smell, less possibility of rasping.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-28-2013), Opposed (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Koolkiid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Already been tested on our cars. At least for N/A, there is no real advantage of going catless. Get a high flow no performance lost, not too bad of a smell, less possibility of rasping.
Also will I have to get a tune or cause any CEL issues?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolkiid View Post
Also will I have to get a tune or cause any CEL issues?
You wont get any CEL for changing the front pipe Cat. The only one that will potentially throw a CEL is the Cat in the header.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We went catless. We replaced the front pipe with a straight pipe and resonator. + the one that is in our aftermarket catback muffler already. We have zero raspyness. But that may be because our muffler has a deep tone to begin with.
We live in cali as well and considered a high flow cat, but any aftermarket cat that is not carb approved will fail inspection. So we opted to save a fue bucks and go without the cat. We will just put the stock one back on for smog time. If you are sensitive to exhaust odors get the cat, but if you don't care as much like us it should not bother you to much.

Also if you don't have a cat your car may throw a check engine light for catalytic converter fail or something. Ours came on yesterday, but it does not cause any motor problems. You can disable the fault with a tune. And I belive there is a device than you can buy to trick the censor or something.

the tune we got did not prevent the light from coming on, but it may just be something my tuner forgot to disable. going back in a couple of days to check it out.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Please keep in mind that Cats are there for a reason. If everyone went around without catalytic converters we would have serious smog problems.
olorin (05-28-2013), SkAsphalt (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
clayrush

Caring about the environment is so 2000's. :P Ill care more when they stop racing top fuel drag cars at the local raceway.

But he has a point. Also you risk a pretty good sized ticket if you get caught without a "legal" cat or no cat at all.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Koolkiid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You wont get any CEL for changing the front pipe Cat. The only one that will potentially throw a CEL is the Cat in the header.
Awesome thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Koolkiid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
We went catless. We replaced the front pipe with a straight pipe and resonator. + the one that is in our aftermarket catback muffler already. We have zero raspyness. But that may be because our muffler has a deep tone to begin with.
We live in cali as well and considered a high flow cat, but any aftermarket cat that is not carb approved will fail inspection. So we opted to save a fue bucks and go without the cat. We will just put the stock one back on for smog time. If you are sensitive to exhaust odors get the cat, but if you don't care as much like us it should not bother you to much.

Also if you don't have a cat your car may throw a check engine light for catalytic converter fail or something. Ours came on yesterday, but it does not cause any motor problems. You can disable the fault with a tune. And I belive there is a device than you can buy to trick the censor or something.

the tune we got did not prevent the light from coming on, but it may just be something my tuner forgot to disable. going back in a couple of days to check it out.
So none of the Aftermarket HFCs are CA legal? Wow that sucks! Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
clayrush

Quote:
So none of the Aftermarket HFCs are CA legal? Wow that sucks! Thanks for the feedback
Yeah my dad has "49 state legal high flow cats" on his old z. The smog guys looked under his car to check numbers on them. I think EO #. Did not see the proper number so they failed him.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Koolkiid

Quote:
Yeah my dad has "49 state legal high flow cats" on his old z. The smog guys looked under his car to check numbers on them. I think EO #. Did not see the proper number so they failed him.
I can't believe this lol. Why do they claim 50 state legal?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
clayrush

Quote:
I can't believe this lol. Why do they claim 50 state legal?
some companies develop high flow catalytic converters intending to make them legal in all 50 states. But sometimes they won't seek the approval from California unless they are selling a lot of them or have strong interest. The process to make stuff legal in California is expensive and time consuming. I do not have a cat on my Celica because the amount of fuel I dump out the tailpipe with my supercharger would ruin it in less than a year. basically wasting money. My celica is set up so I can bolt my cat on very easily. And I have a piece of strait pipe when I have the cat out.
Hope some of this helps you out.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
Koolkiid

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Please keep in mind that Cats are there for a reason. If everyone went around without catalytic converters we would have serious smog problems.
You're making me feel bad about going catless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Koolkiid For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
Koolkiid

Quote:
some companies develop high flow catalytic converters intending to make them legal in all 50 states. But sometimes they won't seek the approval from California unless they are selling a lot of them or have strong interest. The process to make stuff legal in California is expensive and time consuming. I do not have a cat on my Celica because the amount of fuel I dump out the tailpipe with my supercharger would ruin it in less than a year. basically wasting money. My celica is set up so I can bolt my cat on very easily. And I have a piece of strait pipe when I have the cat out.
Hope some of this helps you out.
I see, I didn't know any of that. Thank you sir