follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Your thoughts of the Ford Mustang

So, my cousin wants to by a stang, as you say!

What about are your thoughts about this car?!

I think itīs a nice cruiser, without knowing this car.

He wants it because of that and because of the image!

Mustangs are very rare where I am coming from because itīs not in the official FORD portfolio (because of the mpg I think) and you can only get it by an import.
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
They offer a great bang for the buck, especially the V6. Just depends really what model one wants and what you will use it for. I think the GT500 is one bad ass car and would be hard pressed to take other cars over it for the money (new cars). The new Mustangs do have an issue with their transmissions (manual) and I don't believe they have sorted that out yet. If your cousin wants a FR heafty car that has modding potential the Mustang could be a good fit. It is a bit on the heavy side, one of the reasons I don't care for it and the cockpit feel just doesn't give me the feel of a true drivers car.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
They offer a great bang for the buck, especially the V6.
I think so, too

[/QUOTE] Just depends really what model one wants and what you will use it for. I think the GT500 is one bad ass car and would be hard pressed to take other cars over it for the money (new cars). The new Mustangs do have an issue with their transmissions (manual)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info! I think getting parts for the mustang could be an issue too here

[/QUOTE] and I don't believe they have sorted that out yet. If your cousin wants a FR heafty car that has modding potential the Mustang could be a good fit. It is a bit on the heavy side, one of the reasons I don't care for it[/QUOTE]

so, heīs not going to modding it and this weight thing is secondary too for him.

[/QUOTE] and the cockpit feel just doesn't give me the feel of a true drivers car.[/QUOTE]

this is what I see, too! Honestly and without offense, american, oh well US cars interior nowadays is by the way the crappiest I ever see!

OT: the Hummer H2 interior for e. g. for this amount of money

Last edited by Abflug; 08-12-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm a huge fan of the new Mustang GT. If I had the cash, my car search would be over and I'd already be driving one, honestly. I just can't swing 34k right now. The MY11/12 Mustang interior is nicer than the older SN195s. It's not the nicest in its price range which imo is VW, but it's not bad. In terms of performance, the GT is the best new car bang for the buck if you have 30k for a vehicle (in US pricing).
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a lot of respect for Ford lately, but their cars don't really interest me. I actually like the looks of the Focus hatch, but would need AWD to get me to contemplate a test drive. Mustangs aren't my thing (probably from when I was in high school and all the 5-point-Oh douchebag owners, even though they are supposed to be pretty good sports cars these days.

But look out for the Chinese transmissions... (I can't believe those are made by a joint project with Getrag, same company that made the almost indestructible V160 Supra trans...)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind a clean example from the 60's and early 70's, and a Fox Body V8 is a cheap straight-line car with a plethora of aftermarket parts and knowledge available.

The latter is pushing it because it's not really my style. It's the same with the new Mustangs. You have to consider that they're literally a dime a dozen here, I can see his interest if they're a bit rare where you are situated.

I should add that I also have a bit of personal vendetta against Ford because of the piece of junk I rode around in as a kid. I have the front emblem as a handy reminder after it fell off when my father slammed the hood when it attempted to suicide on route to the wrecker (insert well known FORD acronym here).

But that's another story...
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
great cars. both the gt and v6 are amazing values. people are gonna hate on the transmission issues because its the thing to do on the internet but there hasnt been an official recall while thousands of civics are having tranny issues and nobody says a thing. a forum is a dangerous place to ask questions because so much junk it thrown in with facts and valuable opinons. they are the current best new car value in my opinion and while i havent driven one hard enought to make a conclusive statement they seem like a drivers car right between a nice gt and sports car
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
It doesn't really strike me as an image car here - unless we're talking a BOSS or GT500... GTs here are a dime a dozen and the V6 (especially drop tops) are everywhere in Florida. I guess I can see that might be different elsewhere. It's not a terrible car by any means and quite fun to drive.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
Until it gets IRS, I don't know.. I'd have a hard time buying one. : /
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree fingers View Post
Until it gets IRS, I don't know.. I'd have a hard time buying one. : /

I'm not a fan of Amurrican cars at all but I will say this....At least american car fans have an affordable car they can be proud of. 300hp (from the v6) for what...23k? That's amazing. Long as you never ever ever ever ever take a turn.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Long as you never ever ever ever ever take a turn.

Well, that's the thing. American car enthusiasts never take a turn. They floor it through the quarter mile and then go home.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

That's a bullshit excuse today though. Look at the article I linked above and see how it stacks up with an M3. While it's true that old muscle cars weren't known for handling, the newer American cars do quite well.

Or watch this. Granted, it's a higher trim, but still shows what the chassis can do.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
It doesn't really strike me as an image car here - unless we're talking a BOSS or GT500... GTs here are a dime a dozen and the V6 (especially drop tops) are everywhere in Florida. I guess I can see that might be different elsewhere. It's not a terrible car by any means and quite fun to drive.
It sounds like the Mustang over there is kind of like our Skyline. I remember kids creaming themselves over an imported R32, even though it had a bone stock RB20 and RWD.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
It sounds like the Mustang over there is kind of like our Skyline. I remember kids creaming themselves over an imported R32, even though it had a bone stock RB20 and RWD.
All thanks to Gran Turismo.