follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #43
Grosbard

Drives: 2022 BRZ coming
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here's another thing I noticed, and I'm curious if other have noticed this:

When I turn the car on, but don't start it (i.e. hit the start button twice, but don't have the clutch and brake depressed, so it won't start the car), the Aircon is on, but it doesn't blow very cold. If I sit in the car for a minute in this state, I get a good sense of what the Aircon temp is at in this state. Then, when I start the car (no other variables changed), all of a sudden the air blows much colder. I know various belts are driven off the running engine, but surprised at the magnitude of the cooling difference since I haven't noticed a difference in any previous car I've driven. i.e. on those other cars when the Aircon is on, it gives the same amount of cooling regardless of whether the car is running or not.

Wondering if knowing this info triggers some thoughts from somebody about what's causing the weak Aircon in my car!
Grosbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #44
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosbard View Post
Here's another thing I noticed, and I'm curious if other have noticed this:

When I turn the car on, but don't start it (i.e. hit the start button twice, but don't have the clutch and brake depressed, so it won't start the car), the Aircon is on, but it doesn't blow very cold. If I sit in the car for a minute in this state, I get a good sense of what the Aircon temp is at in this state. Then, when I start the car (no other variables changed), all of a sudden the air blows much colder. I know various belts are driven off the running engine, but surprised at the magnitude of the cooling difference since I haven't noticed a difference in any previous car I've driven. i.e. on those other cars when the Aircon is on, it gives the same amount of cooling regardless of whether the car is running or not.

Wondering if knowing this info triggers some thoughts from somebody about what's causing the weak Aircon in my car!
The BRZ's A/C has a compressor driven by belts. Without the engine running, it does not function (aside from the cabin fan). Some cars use an electric powered compressor and will still function when the engine is not running. The BRZ does not.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Grosbard (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 06:07 PM   #45
Grosbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
The BRZ's A/C has a compressor driven by belts. Without the engine running, it does not function (aside from the cabin fan). Some cars use an electric powered compressor and will still function when the engine is not running. The BRZ does not.

Ah, I suspected something like this. Thanks for the clarification on this difference.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:31 PM   #46
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
In the right conditions, it would snow in the plane I used to work on in the navy. Was always a hoot.
Some of your Navy's planes are cold AF. There was a time where I would stay near electronic equipment just to stay "somewhat comfortable".

Wish I had "A/C" like that on my car. That, or that my car could fly.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (08-16-2022), Jdmjunkie (07-19-2022), Ultramaroon (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #47
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosbard View Post
Ah, I suspected something like this. Thanks for the clarification on this difference.
This is exceedingly rare for a street car that is not an EV or Hybrid. Curious what cars you use to owned that had cold AC with the engine off..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #48
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
This is exceedingly rare for a street car that is not an EV or Hybrid. Curious what cars you use to owned that had cold AC with the engine off..
For me, 2017 911. I think it's more common on many cars with auto-stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Decep (08-10-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #49
Grosbard

I think I experienced this on a Lexus LS430 recently, but maybe I'm misremembering.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #50
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
For me, 2017 911. I think it's more common on many cars with auto-stop.
It must only be capable of running for a minute tops or killing the battery would be a real possibility.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #51
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
It must only be capable of running for a minute tops or killing the battery would be a real possibility.
I never timed it, but it did vary based on demand and temps. Sometimes it would not cycle back on for quite a while. It seemed to work well. If I were to guess, I'd say on average the engine would be off for 3 minutes and on for 1 (or less) during parked A/C operation.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #52
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Drives: 2023 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now that I've picked up and been driving my '23, I've also noticed that the AC is very weak at idle. This pretty much means that you'll be disappointed during stop and go traffic, as I'm guessing the variable compressor runs at very low pressure. Anyway, as soon as you're cruising, it wakes up and cools down nicely... Problems with having a tiny engine I guess : ) Instead of bumping idle RPM like most cars, it bumps down the compressor. Perhaps it was made to gain another MPG in EPA loop that requires AC on, who knows...
'19 Corvette Z06 Z07 (Track Build Thread)
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote