follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #85
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
The whole package is just amazing ,yes the power is lacking..but i've had 350+hp subaru's before, i'm bored of power. I want to have fun
Not picking on you, but I see similar posts all the time and I just don't get it. Some people,and maybe not you, seem to think that this car will be ruined with a turbo or some other way of making this car with 270 hp. As if increasing the power will somehow make it less fun? I've never heard anyone outside this forum make such statements but here people act as if we would be ruining something sacred.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #86
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Of course the 2014/15 model will be different but not always better. Take the 2012 civic as an example. Also what happens is with these upgrades comes a price hike ie. the new genesis, gtr, 370z. Toyota is pretty good with keeping designs for a good 5-6 years with a mid cycle refresh in between so if you're really going to wait for the next gen you're going to be waiting almost half a decade. Like someone else has said its 2012 tests and r&d have come along way so those bugs and kinks you're waiting to be worked out may not even be there. Best choice to me if you're not buying brand new is to get a used one with low miles after several months of release.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #87
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
Of course the 2014/15 model will be different but not always better. Take the 2012 civic as an example. Also what happens is with these upgrades comes a price hike ie. the new genesis, gtr, 370z. Toyota is pretty good with keeping designs for a good 5-6 years with a mid cycle refresh in between so if you're really going to wait for the next gen you're going to be waiting almost half a decade. Like someone else has said its 2012 tests and r&d have come along way so those bugs and kinks you're waiting to be worked out may not even be there. Best choice to me if you're not buying brand new is to get a used one with low miles after several months of release.
You mean the Si? If so I rather the K24 anyday over the K20.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #88
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD View Post
I hate dealerships, my last two new cars had problems under warranty (one Acura, one Honda) and all I got was the "can't duplicate" B.S. Both manual transmission related, unfortunately. The fewer issues I have to deal with the better.
Same happened to me. "Can't duplicate the problem"

A$$holes
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #89
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You mean the Si? If so I rather the K24 anyday over the K20.
Not the Si specifically

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/h...dst-criticism/
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #90
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
the 2012 civic was a complete refresh which is a different story. I don't think anyone is talking about waiting that long.

and while testing and r&d has been greatly improved cars have also gotten significantly more complex. we now have bluetooth and touch screen radios to worry about. While the problems with major components (engine, trans, etc) may have gone down in the last 10 years , the total number of problems is staying about the same. To me, problems are problems and if I have to have it in the shop then I can't drive it so it doesn't make a huge difference what is wrong.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #91
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
[QUOTE=KevinDuMa;133702]Of course the 2014/15 model will be different but not always better. Take the 2012 civic as an example. Also what happens is with these upgrades comes a price hike ie. the new genesis, gtr, 370z. Toyota is pretty good with keeping designs for a good 5-6 years with a mid cycle refresh in between so if you're really going to wait for the next gen you're going to be waiting almost half a decade. Like someone else has said its 2012 tests and r&d have come along way so those bugs and kinks you're waiting to be worked out may not even be there. Best choice to me if you're not buying brand new is to get a used one with low miles after several months of release.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Once I get a handle on my permanant finances, I can see myself buying a very lightly used FR-S from someone who thought they could afford it but really couldn't. Only issue then is finding one with the accessories/options you wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #92
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Boxer 4, 6 and 8 engines are superior to all other engines. Why most use V8 is because they are the most compact engines, and why most use I4 is because they have a better price/performance ratio.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #93
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Boxer 4, 6 and 8 engines are superior to all other engines. Why most use V8 is because they are the most compact engines, and why most use I4 is because they have a better price/performance ratio.
That's simply not true
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #94
Dan Ruddock

Drives: integra
Quote:
Truth spoken here. A 4 cyl boxer is also shorter front to back than a inline because only two cylinders line up meaning less of the engines weight hangs over the front axle. Not only does this boxer layout design lower the CG but it also concentrates more of the mass to the center of the car (mass centralization). Something designers are paying more attention to these days.

It is all about packaging. This car is more expensive to build because of it's layout and engine design than a FWD inline four. The only drawback of the boxer is that it is wider and designing a chassis around it can be challenging. Dan
Dan Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #95
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Not picking on you, but I see similar posts all the time and I just don't get it. Some people,and maybe not you, seem to think that this car will be ruined with a turbo or some other way of making this car with 270 hp. As if increasing the power will somehow make it less fun? I've never heard anyone outside this forum make such statements but here people act as if we would be ruining something sacred.
No. quite the opposite. Id love this car even more if it had 250-260. I also firmly believe that in subaru and toyotas capable hands that the balance this car has would stay intact. This car, in 2013 form is as close to perfect as im gonna get . I have no complaints and agree it can be better.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #96
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
That's simply not true

This is 100 % true and for fact the 911 and the Cayman are the best handling cars, and the Boxer engines are the reason for that. Boxer engines have ONLY advantages if not to talk about cost, because the car has to be built around the engine and the engine itself is more expensive. If the GT86 had a true mid-front 2.5l H4 with dry sump making 300 PS it would be the best car, but it would maybe cost 50.000 € and you as many other would not buy it. Prove me you are right.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #97
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
I have to admit that if this thing cost $50,000+ no matter how good it was I'd be out.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #98
tachi1247

Quote:
This is 100 % true and for fact the 911 and the Cayman are the best handling cars, and the Boxer engines are the reason for that. Boxer engines have ONLY advantages if not to talk about cost, because the car has to be built around the engine and the engine itself is more expensive. If the GT86 had a true mid-front 2.5l H4 with dry sump making 300 PS it would be the best car, but it would maybe cost 50.000 € and you as many other would not buy it. Prove me you are right.
The 911 has always been known for tempermental handling. You are the first I've ever seen use best handling and 911 together. Its woes aren't because of the boxer configuration though.....more about where they located it behind the rear axle. Every Newer vrsion of the 911 keeps handling better than the last as they keep cheating the engine forward.

The cayman is one of the best handling cars money can buy.