follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #43
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@jwstaton thanks, but now I'm thinking @White64Goat 's technique of shifting straight to 3rd trumps all my other suggestions.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #44
stueck9356

Drives: 2015 VW GTI SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I do all of the above mentioned methods depending on my mood. The 1st to 3rd method is good but you have to either rev the engine up in 1st or bog it in 3rd which both I try to avoid when cold. You can clutchless shift very easily in this car though, and that seems to have the smoothest movement since you are using the synchro's the least amount.

It bothers me a lot because its my DD and work is only 4 miles away, so the car is never fully warmed up before i shut it off, so the stiff 2nd is pretty much all I know it to feel. TBH, I have the lifetime powertrain warranty, so I should just 'firmly' put it in 2nd and replace the box if/when necessary.
stueck9356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #45
Itsjusdame

Drives: Asphalt
Mine is notchy sometime during a hard pull regardless of temp, what I do on cold days is after the rev drops or if I have time a few min longer , I push the clutch (hand break up still) and shift it in to 1st to 2nd back and forth couple 5-6 times and it works out any hard shifts . It suck to pull out on someone and have a hard second shift .... u be lookin gettin looked at all crazy
Itsjusdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #46
jwstaton

Drives: WR Blue BRZ
I'm a fan of 1st to 3rd and was actually doing it...and not even realizing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jwstaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #47
Thrilled

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Skipping from first to third works OK under low speed conditions, but I've had trouble with first as much as second. Double clutching helps, but I've found that it also helps to blip the throttle a little and as the rpm's drop, ease it into gear. This is time consuming, so it's more practical just as a backup to double-clutching.

Another post includes an interview/report from Toyota engineers:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31929

In short, they indicate that the design tolerances were focused on proper shifting at operating temperature, not low temperature.
Thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #48
Norton 850

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilled View Post
Another post includes an interview/report from Toyota engineers:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31929

In short, they indicate that the design tolerances were focused on proper shifting at operating temperature, not low temperature.
I'd like to believe this explanation, but I don't. For instance, this does not explain why some cars shift buttery smooth even when the gearbox is not warmed up.

Instead I believe it's a stack-up tolerance issue. For instance when two or more of the components in the gear box are machined to their worst- tolerance-condition, the result is a notchy shifting gearbox. I also believe that AISIN knows how to correct this problem. However, they have elected not to because it would cost too much to manufacture these gear boxes to tighter tolerances. So in the end, it's about money.
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #49
Thrilled

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 2013
Norton850: Good points and something that might help my case with the dealer.

The cost might also be why I just can't seem to get anyone at the dealership to pursue this at all.

I had a nasty surprise today as I was navigating tight traffic on a slight incline. Went for second after just jumping into a busy lane and it required a second attempt to get it into gear. Wound up just forcing it as I didn't have time to nurse it into gear.

So, for me, if it keeps this up even in the warmer weather, it's a safety concern.
Thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #50
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've noticed that shifting has gotten much smoother as the weather has gotten warmer. The first shift into 2nd is still notchy without a double-clutch, but after that, all shifts have been smooth. Even 3rd, which has been problematic in the past, is fairly nice now.

These transmissions are very temperature-dependent in my experience.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #51
TriumphScott

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
FRS=TROUBLE

The 6spd. trannys are crap. Scion gave me a free platinum warranty for the same cold shift problems.that was at 2,200 miles. At 5,000 miles the Toyota dealership where I bought the car had to open a case, they couldn't figure out my check engine light problem. they ended up replacing the reflash ecu moduel, the oil control valve and the V V T I drum which is the cam shaft end caps. As soon as I can get the depreciation on the car payed down to equal what I owe on the car, it will be someone elses problem, as I will trade it asap!!
TriumphScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #52
TriumphScott

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
FRS=TROUBLE

Forgot to mention Scion blames the viscosity of thier gear oil on the cold shift problem. There is supposed to be a new oil being developed for the Scion 6 speed manual gear box, i've been waiting seven months, check with the dealership regularly and still nothing. what a piece of work.Presonally I hate the car.
TriumphScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #53
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have 2012 86 - one of the first 2500 to be built for nearly 2 years and the tranny issue from 1st to 2nd is a bitch when it's cold eventhough we don't get to much more than -5 degrees celcius here in ZA. One mod I recently tried was a transmission brace/insert similar to the below:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-seri...sert/2180.html

The immediate improvement in shift quality in normal driving has left me astonished at the expense of some refinement with regards to transmission whine (my other 2 cars are classic Mini's so doesn't bother me) and sounds similar to the Innovate Supercharger in 1st gear... I'm going to to do the diff inserts next that will really tighten things up. I have nearly 35000km on my baby so far. Sometimes I also get lost in the gate but I blame that on my driving!

The guy who fitted it for me showed me the amount of play in the stock setup - scary!
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote