follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone Have Lightweight Flywheel + Pulley + Driveshaft?

I have a lw pulley and flywheel. The RPMs rise and drop pretty quickly. I wanted to get a lightweight driveshaft but wanted to see if anyone had all 3 that can speak of how the car is with all 3. It is night and day difference with just the flywheel. It takes getting used to, but it is definitely better than stock.
Is there such a thing as too much when it comes to the speed at which the RPMs rise and fall in your opinion? Does it ruin driveability for you/in your opinion?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Well the LFA revs up and down so quickly that the analog needle can't keep up, which is why it's got a TFT screen with a digital needle. I figure if the engine spinning up and down works for LFA drivers, should work for us too. I thought the pulleys were more of a placebo effect to be honest. Did you do the pulleys before the flywheel?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Well the LFA revs up and down so quickly that the analog needle can't keep up, which is why it's got a TFT screen with a digital needle. I figure if the engine spinning up and down works for LFA drivers, should work for us too. I thought the pulleys were more of a placebo effect to be honest. Did you do the pulleys before the flywheel?
Ya. I want to say it was noticeable, but maybe it was placebo. It felt like it fell .5 to 1 second faster than stock, not much, but something.

I am tempted to buy the driveshaft just cause, but I can't decide if it's worth it. So many different opinions on driveshafts...
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had all 3 at one point. The flywheel makes the most difference. The other stuff, not so much.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (10-16-2017), SuperTom (02-27-2020), Yoniyama (10-28-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
I had all 3 at one point. The flywheel makes the most difference. The other stuff, not so much.
Thanks!

Driveshaft worth it? Just looking for the next part(s) under 1k. I can go with suspension mods instead and maybe consider the driveshaft later. The flywheel is probably plenty fine since it's such a huge difference.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I went from stock to lightweight pulley to a heavier than stock fluidampr and had to try really hard to notice a difference between all 3.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
I went from stock to lightweight pulley to a heavier than stock fluidampr and had to try really hard to notice a difference between all 3.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is what I have heard. I considered the harmonic balanced pulleys, but as always, there is so many differing opinions on them. I have had my cheapo lightweight pulley for almost 2 years now and as far as I know there are no issues. 45k+ miles on the car, at least half were from with the lw pulley.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
mkivsoopra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Thanks!

Driveshaft worth it? Just looking for the next part(s) under 1k. I can go with suspension mods instead and maybe consider the driveshaft later. The flywheel is probably plenty fine since it's such a huge difference.
What's your goal/purpose? If it's just to rev quicker for fun, I'd skip the driveshaft.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
What's your goal/purpose? If it's just to rev quicker for fun, I'd skip the driveshaft.
I was just looking at my next upgrade. I just got a new clutch/flywheel and it's changed the tach significantly. Takes getting used to, but I like it.

So my goal is just figuring out what to buy next.

Suspension mods (minus coilovers)
Brakes (probably too pricey until I get turbo)
Rotors/pads
Rocket bunny stuff (maybe, still up in the air if I want to chop my car up)
Aesthetics...

I'm just browsing for the next small <$1k project.

I have:
Wheels + lugs
Coilovers
Short throw
Pulley kit
clutch/flywheel
full exhaust
OFT
Intake (just cause)
Valentis
mud flaps (looks)
and a couple little things here and there.

So I was considering the driveshaft to keep the upgrades moving along, but was wondering if it's worth it at all, now or later to get the driveshaft.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
mkivsoopra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post

So I was considering the driveshaft to keep the upgrades moving along, but was wondering if it's worth it at all, now or later to get the driveshaft.
Nope :p
Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I did some calculations a while back regarding what kind of inertial losses you can recover by going to lighter weight rotational parts. Translated into hp, I think a cf driveshaft should have the same effect as adding about 2hp in a second gear pull. Less in 3rd, more in 1st. That's just estimated rotational losses with some assumptions. I didn't go back and do the hard math to factor in changes in acceleration and recalculate. I'll look up that spreadsheet next time I get on my PC to confirm.

Edit: cf driveshaft gets you about 1.5hp back in second, a -7lb from stock flywheel gets you 6.

Last edited by Spuds; 10-17-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #12
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have all 3 plus lw wheels and gutted interior, I got the aluminum driveshaft last and yes you can feel the difference!
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. BRZ For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #13
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,303 Times in 4,116 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Firstly. There is a critical mass of flywheel (that is, going too light) when combined with lwcp can result in engine failure. This was posted by a respected tuner on these forums but I can't be bothered looking for it.
Secondly. I am hypothesising that rpm drop is ecu limited. If the throttle closes too quickly emissions go up.
Third. Carbon drive shaft is great for total weight saving not so much for reduced angular inertia.
Fourth. Lighter wheels make a great contribution to everything. Well, not everything but they reduce total mass, reduce angular inertia, reduce unsprung weight. Makes no difference to the GDP of Finland.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-28-2017), gtengr (10-17-2017), Strife26 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Firstly. There is a critical mass of flywheel (that is, going too light) when combined with lwcp can result in engine failure. This was posted by a respected tuner on these forums but I can't be bothered looking for it.
Secondly. I am hypothesising that rpm drop is ecu limited. If the throttle closes too quickly emissions go up.
Third. Carbon drive shaft is great for total weight saving not so much for reduced angular inertia.
Fourth. Lighter wheels make a great contribution to everything. Well, not everything but they reduce total mass, reduce angular inertia, reduce unsprung weight. Makes no difference to the GDP of Finland.
I always try to get the lightest wheels. I had 17.5lbs Kosei's K8R, then got 18x9.5. I think they are 20 or 21lbs each : (. Lightweight wheels get way too pricey at that size for my liking.

I could see the shaft causing trouble. The flywheel drops the RPMs in a split second as opposed to 1-3 (maybe 4) seconds. It's stupid fast now. It also alters the sound because of how quickly it drops. Vrm instead of Vrrrrrm lol.