follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #183
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Got mine installed; and im running into some issues.

Sometimes, everything feels awesome. However, after I do a hard pull - sometimes the pedal gets really soft and I cannot shift. When this happens, I pump the clutch again and its back to normal.

Fluids are good, no leaks, slave cyl looks good, brand new ACT Stage 2 & flywheel installed by a local tuning shop that specializes in the 86 platform.

Any ideas? Pointers? We initially tried to bleed the system to resolve and that did not help. New idea is some sort of fork spring assist like on most EJs. - Picture attached for reference of what we're thinking.
I don't see how a spring like that (that is not a strong spring from the picture) would do anything for engagement/disengagement.

How many miles are on the car? Have you checked if the master and slave are solid still? Admittedly I only know the symptoms of a failing main/slave (clutch pedal changes engagement points) but do not know how to test if they are leaking? That is my thoughts.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #184
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
28K miles on the car. And yes, that spring picture was just a reference point.

It's blizzare. fluids are new-ish and system was just bled. Mechanic checked slave/master and it seemed ok.

ACT stage 2 with the heavier flywheel option (lighter than stock, but not super lightweight). I just can't seem to get consistency out of the setup.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #185
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
28K miles on the car. And yes, that spring picture was just a reference point.

It's blizzare. fluids are new-ish and system was just bled. Mechanic checked slave/master and it seemed ok.

ACT stage 2 with the heavier flywheel option (lighter than stock, but not super lightweight). I just can't seem to get consistency out of the setup.
Clutch physically getting stuck engaged/disengaged? Bleed it again?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #186
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Clutch physically getting stuck engaged/disengaged? Bleed it again?
It's just super sloppy feeling engaging after a strong pull. then it's back to normal. does not feel like a physical stop, it feels like a bubble in the system, but it's been bled.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #187
RallySTI

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Got mine installed; and im running into some issues.

Sometimes, everything feels awesome. However, after I do a hard pull - sometimes the pedal gets really soft and I cannot shift. When this happens, I pump the clutch again and its back to normal.

Fluids are good, no leaks, slave cyl looks good, brand new ACT Stage 2 & flywheel installed by a local tuning shop that specializes in the 86 platform.

Any ideas? Pointers? We initially tried to bleed the system to resolve and that did not help. New idea is some sort of fork spring assist like on most EJs. - Picture attached for reference of what we're thinking.
FYI, That fork assist spring is only used on the pull type clutches on the WRX and STI. The spring keeps tension on the fork so that the release bearing doesn't come dislodged from the pressure plate assembly.

If you are losing pedal pressure it is most likely an issue with the clutch hydraulic system. If it were a pressure plate issue the clutch would slip when your experiencing the soft pedal.
RallySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #188
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySTI View Post
FYI, That fork assist spring is only used on the pull type clutches on the WRX and STI. The spring keeps tension on the fork so that the release bearing doesn't come dislodged from the pressure plate assembly.

If you are losing pedal pressure it is most likely an issue with the clutch hydraulic system. If it were a pressure plate issue the clutch would slip when your experiencing the soft pedal.
Yup, understood and agreed. Shop has it back and the trans dropped. They're checking all torque specs on the clutch, making sure the Velox fork/pivot 100% matches OEM, etc.

The spring idea was more of a thought to keep items aligned w/tension, as you described.

I'll update once I get some news. I just dropped off the OEM clutch fork / pivot so everything can be checked.

Im highly doubting a problem exists with the clutch hydraulics. I had 0 issues before the clutch swap, and the vehicle is very low mileage.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #189
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
I don't see how a spring like that (that is not a strong spring from the picture) would do anything for engagement/disengagement.

How many miles are on the car? Have you checked if the master and slave are solid still? Admittedly I only know the symptoms of a failing main/slave (clutch pedal changes engagement points) but do not know how to test if they are leaking? That is my thoughts.

Thanks,
Eric
Wanted to get back with you (and the thread) on this.
- Shop dropped the trans, the pressure plate from the clutch (ACT) had very uneven pressure plate teeth.
- Sent to ACT for RMA replacement; the replacement pressure plate we got back was just as bad, maybe worse.
- Refunded the clutch and moved to an Exedy stage 2. Problem solved.

Everything is butter smooth. Now I just need to get used to the Exedy clutch catch point (basically with 0 pressure on the clutch pedal).

Shifts, engage/disengage via the fork is easy and improved. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #190
VerusEric

Quote:
Wanted to get back with you (and the thread) on this.
- Shop dropped the trans, the pressure plate from the clutch (ACT) had very uneven pressure plate teeth.
- Sent to ACT for RMA replacement; the replacement pressure plate we got back was just as bad, maybe worse.
- Refunded the clutch and moved to an Exedy stage 2. Problem solved.

Everything is butter smooth. Now I just need to get used to the Exedy clutch catch point (basically with 0 pressure on the clutch pedal).

Shifts, engage/disengage via the fork is easy and improved. Thanks!
Glad to hear you got it all ironed out. Something I need to look at next time my trans is off it sounds like...

Thank you,
Eric
Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #191
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what were the conditions that cause the original item to fail?

i am running high power, with a twin plate clutch on a modified gearbox but an OEM fork and pivot.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #192
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
what were the conditions that cause the original item to fail?

i am running high power, with a twin plate clutch on a modified gearbox but an OEM fork and pivot.
What ultimately matters is the clutch, not power. You could be running a de-tuned NA and if you're running a high pressure pressure plate, the clutch fork is likely moving quite a bit.

So to get to the point, yes, you likely are seeing some movement and the clutch fork may potentially fail. Patrick, earlier in this thread, goes through his experience with an Exedy twin. It was very difficult to drive before the fork, after the fork the twin disc acted like a normal clutch again.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
Eric

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #193
Surok
Wise old man

im running this guy here.
http://www.xtremeclutch.co.uk/produc...3/KSU20526-2B/

Clamping Force 1000kg
Torque Rating 1200Nm
Bearing Contact Diameter 44-52mm
Bearing Load (@ 48mm) 218kg
Release Travel Required 6mm
Assembly Mass (without flywheel) 7.4kg
Disc Set Static Mass 2.15kg
Friction Thickness New 7mm (0.275")
Friction Thickness Worn 6.48mm (0.255")

sounds like im going to have to get one from you guys.
my clutch is an absolute c*nt to drive.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #194
VerusEric

Quote:
im running this guy here.
http://www.xtremeclutch.co.uk/produc...3/KSU20526-2B/

Clamping Force1000kg
Torque Rating1200Nm
Bearing Contact Diameter44-52mm
Bearing Load (@ 48mm)218kg
Release Travel Required6mm
Assembly Mass (without flywheel)7.4kg
Disc Set Static Mass2.15kg
Friction Thickness New7mm (0.275")
Friction Thickness Worn6.48mm (0.255")
Anything stronger or heavier than stock, I'd *highly* recommend installing our fork with it. I've heard and seen far too many stories with every brand of clutch for this platform either fail completely or bend in the bell housing (vague pedal feel, engagement point that changes, random gear lock out, etc).

Thanks,
Eric

Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #195
Surok
Wise old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Anything stronger or heavier than stock, I'd *highly* recommend installing our fork with it. I've heard and seen far too many stories with every brand of clutch for this platform either fail completely or bend in the bell housing (vague pedal feel, engagement point that changes, random gear lock out, etc).

Thanks,
Eric

yeah i get locked out of reverse sometimes... i thought it was the upgraded PAR gearset, but perhaps all these issues are in the fork and pivot.

it says the fork is rated for 1000lbs pressure plate? I have a 2200lbs pressure plate. is that a problem?

Last edited by Surok; 12-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #196
VerusEric

Quote:
yeah i get locked out of reverse sometimes... i thought it was the upgraded PAR gearset, but perhaps all these issues are in the fork and pivot.

it says the fork is rated for 1000lbs pressure plate? I have a 2200lbs pressure plate. is that a problem?
No, it will not be a problem.

Being locked out of reverse sometimes is not uncommon though, just a part of reverse gear. I think it has something to do with the extra gear in there (idler) which doesn't allow the gear to move to allow you to select it at times when you aren't moving.

Thanks,
Eric