follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #71
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I wouldn't bring techniques (like that) you pick-up in Forza/GT5 to the real road. The tire model in Forza/GT5 suffers (? might be deliberate) from inadequate tire break-away characteristics. The grip goes away too progressively, and that gives you the ability to correct the understeer the way you describe, in the game. On a real tarmac that might not work if your front tires are already sliding, weight transfer and less gas might not be enough to regain traction. That said, if you're understeering in the snow - absolutely turn the wheel more. The larger pile of snow that bigger steering angle will help create on the side of your front wheels will help you turn
It's been a LONG time since I tried any performance driving in a FWD "in real life". (early 90s - man I feel OLD!).

The problem with understeer is that while it's easy for novice drivers to get under control, there's usually not a lot of space left on the road to straighten the wheel and then apply brakes - but I guess if you do it "rally style reflexes" quick enough, then sure.

In my normal driving (say FWD car in the rain), if I got understeer in a turn, I'd lift off the gas. Turning the wheel more wont help BUT as you're totally off course, you'd need to turn the wheel more just to get back to your lane. So I lift and turn more until I gain traction - at which point my wheels are pointing the car in the direction I need to go.

In racing games, if I'm understeering towards the sand on the outside of a turn after a long straight (and missed my braking point completely), I'll throw the hand brake just to get the car to rotate and attempt to drift through the turn. Then again, I really suck at racing games! Hahaha
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #72
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
My girlfriend is from Minnesota, so I know what you're talking about. She had a Pontiac there that she drove here (SoCal) when she moved in 2008, and I think that her control arm snapped in 2010.

Ironically, her best friend (who I believe currently lives in Minneapolis as well) had the same issue with her Honda Civic within the past few days, but a little worse.
Did she have them rust checked? My old mans 2000 f150 looks brand new and we use salt and now a calcium. I'm more worried about the other drivers not the weather and salt.
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #73
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Did she have them rust checked? My old mans 2000 f150 looks brand new and we use salt and now a calcium. I'm more worried about the other drivers not the weather and salt.
Likely not. Consider the demographic of the two drivers.

My girlfriend bought the car when she was 17 (and by then it was already 10+ years old). And at 23, she still doesn't pay too much attention to her 2010 Corolla. Thank goodness for the free maintenance, otherwise a lot of stuff wouldn't get done, though being in CA, we don't really worry much about those issues.

Her best friend still living in MN didn't maintain her car either. Her car was also purchased used, but I remember when riding in it around this time in 2010 (when I went with my girlfriend to visit her friends and family back home), there was already a hole rusted into her exhaust pipe to the point where it sounded like an aftermarket exhaust, since pretty much nothing was going through the muffler.

So in both cases, I'm not surprised about what happened to the parts.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #74
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Having lived in Detroit with huge snow storms for a while now, my e46 M3 was worthless in the snow until putting just good all season tires. I plan on doing the same to my BRZ or maybe dedicated snow tires either way with good tires and a capable driver, RWD cars are fine in snow/ bad weather
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #75
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Practicing on Ice

When I was just a youngster we used to practice skidding on the local (small town) outdoor ice rink late at night. It gave me a sense of what skidding and braking on ice was all about. I don't know how TCS would operate in these conditions but I don't live in that small town anymore (where we always knew where the copper was).
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #76
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
All four wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
Having lived in Detroit with huge snow storms for a while now, my e46 M3 was worthless in the snow until putting just good all season tires. I plan on doing the same to my BRZ or maybe dedicated snow tires either way with good tires and a capable driver, RWD cars are fine in snow/ bad weather
It is my understanding that snow tires, for best effectiveness, should be on all four wheels, RWD, AWD or FWD. Just an FYI FWIW for all of us.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #77
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
It is my understanding that snow tires, for best effectiveness, should be on all four wheels, RWD, AWD or FWD. Just an FYI FWIW for all of us.
Definitely. I tried having just the back ones a few years ago and it got going just fine...but stopping was a different story.
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #78
Le86

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
I also live in WA state. When I was 15 and had my learners permit, my father MADE me drive in the snow so I can have the experience and be prepared for it when I'm "on my own" with my license. Ever since then, I've had absolutely no problems driving in the rain/snow, But then again, I was also driving an AWD Legacy lol.

I have yet to take the FR-S out in the rain but I know I'll dump clutch a few times just for some kicks. After all, what is RWD good for if not for a little "spirited" driving in the rain?

EDIT: I just realized that I wandered into the BRZ section of the forums... oops!

Last edited by Le86; 10-28-2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spelling fail
Le86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #79
ESC POD

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Portland Here!! Rain damn near from October to June...reason why we are moving next summer to SoCal...Anyhow, the BRZ has done Great in the Wet Stuff...even the Really Heavy rain too...There is nothing about this car that cant handle the rain! Seriously...it's just Rain?? Now Snow?? She is RWD...but so where Model T, Model A, Fleetlines of the 40's, Bel Airs of the 50's, Thunderbirds of the 60's, Newports of the 70's...You see where I'm going with this??? FWD, RWD, AWD...people have doing it for years. I'll be mounting the Nokian Hakka studs come December? Hoping that Farmer's Almanac is right about it being a "Warmer and Drier" winter here in the NW??

Anyhow...Good Luck!!

Activating: ESC POD...let's Drive!!
ESC POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #80
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le86 View Post

EDIT: I just realized that I wandered into the BRZ section of the forums... oops!
No worries, we are all in the same car family 86-BRZ for life!
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #81
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
Definitely. I tried having just the back ones a few years ago and it got going just fine...but stopping was a different story.
As @ashtray corrected, - Your best tires should ALWAYS be placed on your rear wheels. Even on FWD cars. Having traction at the rear prevents spinning out when losing control.

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!

Last edited by JonnyRocket; 10-29-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Brain fart
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #82
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post
Your best tires should ALWAYS be placed on your front wheels. Even on RWD cars. Having traction at the rear doesn't do shit if your front tires can't steer adequately.
Actually, they suggest (and some tire shops won't do it any other way) that new tires (if not changing all 4) should go on the REAR, even in FWD cars. Reason being if the rear loses traction, the car will spin. If the front loses traction, it stays in a straight line.

Obviously, 4 new tires would be ideal.

On my wife's fwd car, the front tires were toast after 25k miles. Rears still could have gone another 20k if kept on the back. Tire shop wouldn't let me just buy 2 front tires. (I could have swapped them at home if I cared to.). Decided just to put on a full fresh set - even though we don't get much rain anyways and the car isn't driven to the limit. The 4 new tires ended up being a good idea, as the car rides and handles better than it did on the OEM rubber.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
JonnyRocket (10-29-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #83
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
We like seeing the photos from @chanomatik up there in Alaska not afraid of a little inclement weather.

These are fine cars for winter weather!
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #84
SalM

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My FRS is a garage queen.. She has never seen rain and wont and snow is a big NO.. I have a nice big Toyota Tundra for daily driving and winter beating.. My Frs has 600 miles since I bought it 3 months ago lol.
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote