follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #4229
FRS-cotty

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.F.c.R.a.S View Post
Anyone with this kit drift?

If so are you on the new updated belt?

I’ve gone through 1 belt an event this season. Last event, belt lasted two laps. I’m still on the 20mm belt, I guess I need to upgrade, but want to make sure it would be worth it.
I guess with the money I spent on belts I could have bought it already but I didn’t want the belts to go to waste.
You probably already upgraded by now but I drift mine with the 30mm setup and I've gone a good 7 or 8 events? No problems yet.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #4230
charley026

Drives: dream frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson1288 View Post
So I pulled the trigger and bought this kit.. Brand new and my belt is giving off a crazy whine, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I've checked the tension multiple times and it's set correctly to the specified tolerance using the Gates app. Checked lines, pulleys, piping, basically anything I can think of. Belt is not rubbing on anything.

I tried to loosen the belt up a bit just for the heck of it, but my tensioner pulley is giving me issues. I have to loosen the tensioner pulley in order to drive the tension bolt in, however it does not drive in nearly as far as what kraftwerks calls for. My tensioner bolt is currently pretty much all the way out, but the belt is still tight. Do I need to play around with sliding the pulley closer to the left side and then tightening it down? The belt seems to come too tight when I tighten the pulley back down, so I end up backing the tension screw back out.. They just kind of seem to be fighting each other. I'm going to try and loosen the pulley back up, slide it far left and tighten the tension bolt in to ~50 hz, because I know when I tighten the pulley back up now it is going to pull my belt even tighter, hopefully to the normal range-ish.

There is also no specified torque for this pulley in any revision of the install manual, not that I would be able to get a socket on the back of it while it's mounted anyway. Only way to access it currently is by removing the upper SC bracket and using an angled 14mm wrench to loosen it.

Has anyone had similar issues or possibly knows a better process to tension this? Or any other reason as to why my kit is currently sounding the way it does? I've already contacted Kraftwerks, still waiting for a response.

Hey I’m new in the krawfwerk owner, and when I install the kit with 30mm upgrade I put one pulley on the wrong side on his pignon and sound like yours check carefully each one be sure all lock pin are on the same side maybe ✌️

Current setup
C30-94
30mm strap
90mm high boost
Dw 700cc injector
Dw fuel pump
Delicious tuning

Last edited by charley026; 10-15-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Correcting fault
charley026 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charley026 For This Useful Post:
Olson1288 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #4231
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just purchased a used KW kit to go with my Ace a350 header. Who's the recommended E tuner for this kit? Delicious?

Also, the kit is the original 20mm pulley set. Is it 100 percent necessary to go 30mm? I do HPDE and a lot of autocross, but if the belt is installed correctly I assume the 20mm should still do it's job.

Last edited by captain awesome; 11-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:50 AM   #4232
MartyMcfly

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Just purchased a used KW kit to go with my Ace a350 header. Who's the recommended E tuner for this kit? Delicious?

Also, the kit is the original 20mm pulley set. Is it 100 percent necessary to go 30mm? I do HPDE and a lot of autocross, but if the belt is installed correctly I assume the 20mm should still do it's job.

Can't go wrong with Delicious. I highly recommend them.

A replacement 20mm belt is what, around $150? The 30mm upgrade kit is on sale right now for $315 and it includes the belt.
https://kraftwerksusa.com/150-12-9300.html
Great time to snag it.

I've been running the 20mm for a few years and haven't' had a belt break. But then again, I don't track this car, and I don't autocross it either. I barely put any miles on it. If I did, I'd probably pony up for the upgrade kit.

MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyMcfly For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #4233
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Can't go wrong with Delicious. I highly recommend them.

A replacement 20mm belt is what, around $150? The 30mm upgrade kit is on sale right now for $315 and it includes the belt.
https://kraftwerksusa.com/150-12-9300.html
Great time to snag it.

I've been running the 20mm for a few years and haven't' had a belt break. But then again, I don't track this car, and I don't autocross it either. I barely put any miles on it. If I did, I'd probably pony up for the upgrade kit.

Delicious tune was ordered yesterday with the Black Friday deals they had. Great time to order up! Are most of you guys getting tune revisions after the Flash N Go to get it more ideal for each setup?

I was going to just buy some cheap spare belts I found for the 20mm, but then for some reason the 30mm upgrade kit dropped price to $164.97 on Amazon last week. It was the last one in stock, so maybe that's why? Anyway, I snatched that up quick, and found a $30 spare belt just in case as well. So basically it was fate. I did sit paranoid before it arrived Monday that it was a typo, or they would just cancel the order all together.

Got some viton o-rings on order for the oil cooler sandwich plate. Probably just going to get a Derale inline thermostat. RacerX is no longer making the tall sandwich plate setup a couple forum members have purchased. They didn't get enough interest in the setup, so are no longer going to produce them.

The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Sgtfluffy16 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #4234
MartyMcfly

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Delicious tune was ordered yesterday with the Black Friday deals they had. Great time to order up! Are most of you guys getting tune revisions after the Flash N Go to get it more ideal for each setup?

I was going to just buy some cheap spare belts I found for the 20mm, but then for some reason the 30mm upgrade kit dropped price to $164.97 on Amazon last week. It was the last one in stock, so maybe that's why? Anyway, I snatched that up quick, and found a $30 spare belt just in case as well. So basically it was fate. I did sit paranoid before it arrived Monday that it was a typo, or they would just cancel the order all together.

Got some viton o-rings on order for the oil cooler sandwich plate. Probably just going to get a Derale inline thermostat. RacerX is no longer making the tall sandwich plate setup a couple forum members have purchased. They didn't get enough interest in the setup, so are no longer going to produce them.

Nice find!

I could never get the sandwich plates to work no matter what I tried. They always ended up leaking on me. I found a great solution for it in the Skun2 sandwich plate. Solved all my woes.
https://skunk2.com/brz-frs-oil-filte...ooler-kit.html

MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #4235
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Nice find!

I could never get the sandwich plates to work no matter what I tried. They always ended up leaking on me. I found a great solution for it in the Skun2 sandwich plate. Solved all my woes.
https://skunk2.com/brz-frs-oil-filte...ooler-kit.html

The kit I bought has the skunk2 plate just heard there were issues with the o-rings so I bought 10 viton ones in hopes that will help. I also pulled the trigger on the Derale thermostat kit. Unfortunately I can’t install anything for a couple weeks.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #4236
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Is anyone having pulley alignment issues? My crank pulley looks to be too close to the block or the idlers are too far away by quite a bit. I can see everything isn't following straight to the crank pulley, it's a bit crooked. The belt is riding over the edge about an 1/16".

Quick background, the kit I bought was used. It came with the 20mm pulley set, so I bought the 30mm upgrade seen above. I have massive belt whine, but the belt is tensioned properly. I think the whine is due to the pulley alignment.

So should I put some spacers/shims behind the idlers to get it all in spec? I can't be the only one whose run into this.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Last edited by captain awesome; 12-25-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #4237
captain awesome
Wears Pants

So I went and readjusted the belt just to make sure nothing funky was going on. I get a solid and repeatable 64.9-65Hz cold adjustment. After running the car about a 10 mile loop the Gates app reads a consistent 79.9Hz. The belt still sits slightly off of the crank pulley. Furthermore I noticed some grease weeping out of the top idler pulley. The second image is a video of the noises. Maybe everything is copacetic and I'm freaking out for nothing?

Old 01-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #4238
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I went and readjusted the belt just to make sure nothing funky was going on. I get a solid and repeatable 64.9-65Hz cold adjustment. After running the car about a 10 mile loop the Gates app reads a consistent 79.9Hz. The belt still sits slightly off of the crank pulley. Furthermore I noticed some grease weeping out of the top idler pulley. The second image is a video of the noises. Maybe everything is copacetic and I'm freaking out for nothing?

IMO I would loosen the tension a bit. With the wider belt I have been running mine closer to 55-60Hz cold. I like to keep it just tight enough to not rattle/vibrate when cold. The video sounds like noise from a pulley.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #4239
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
IMO I would loosen the tension a bit. With the wider belt I have been running mine closer to 55-60Hz cold. I like to keep it just tight enough to not rattle/vibrate when cold. The video sounds like noise from a pulley.

I'll loosen tension a bit and see. I ended up shimming the idler pulleys out 2mm to get the belt to get full engagement with the crank pulley. Have you run into this issue at all? Has anyone? I feel like this thread is empty now, should I start a fresh one for others to chime in? Not complaining, just curious.

I also noticed my pulleys have way too much play in the bearings towards the engine and back towards the radiator side. Honestly I wanted to have this kit work out but it appears quality/function is as bad as reported by others. I should have listened to my gut and went with the Jackson kit. Kraftwerks has yet to get back with me, and I assume a phone call will leave me on hold for another hour like before. I'm tempted to pull the kit and sell it on.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #4240
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:
I'll loosen tension a bit and see. I ended up shimming the idler pulleys out 2mm to get the belt to get full engagement with the crank pulley. Have you run into this issue at all? Has anyone? I feel like this thread is empty now, should I start a fresh one for others to chime in? Not complaining, just curious.

I also noticed my pulleys have way too much play in the bearings towards the engine and back towards the radiator side. Honestly I wanted to have this kit work out but it appears quality/function is as bad as reported by others. I should have listened to my gut and went with the Jackson kit. Kraftwerks has yet to get back with me, and I assume a phone call will leave me on hold for another hour like before. I'm tempted to pull the kit and sell it on.
I used to have this kit and went in DEPTH about why I sold my kit and went a different route many times in this thread, in my build thread, and in other threads. you are experiencing EXACTLY what i experienced.

Incorrect belt tension will turn into premature bearing failure in the pulleys. Bad bearings create wobbling pulleys. Wobbling pulleys will turn into aggressive belt wear. Aggressive belt wear will just cause the belt to snap. and oh. even better. Kraftwerks Customer Service? What a fucking god damn joke they are....
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #4241
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I used to have this kit and went in DEPTH about why I sold my kit and went a different route many times in this thread, in my build thread, and in other threads. you are experiencing EXACTLY what i experienced.

Incorrect belt tension will turn into premature bearing failure in the pulleys. Bad bearings create wobbling pulleys. Wobbling pulleys will turn into aggressive belt wear. Aggressive belt wear will just cause the belt to snap. and oh. even better. Kraftwerks Customer Service? What a fucking god damn joke they are....

Yeah, but in this instance, the system has been set to proper tension spec since day one. That's even worse in my book.

I finally got someone on the phone. He's supposed to review my pics and info then get back with me. I don't expect it to be in quick manor. If I was just planning to run the kit on the street I wouldn't be as worried, but for track abuse I'm just not comfortable with this being a good fit. I knew that going in, but just assumed I could make it work by keeping an eye on things and getting the larger belt.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #4242
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:
Yeah, but in this instance, the system has been set to proper tension spec since day one. That's even worse in my book.

I finally got someone on the phone. He's supposed to review my pics and info then get back with me. I don't expect it to be in quick manor. If I was just planning to run the kit on the street I wouldn't be as worried, but for track abuse I'm just not comfortable with this being a good fit. I knew that going in, but just assumed I could make it work by keeping an eye on things and getting the larger belt.
lol track abuse? good luck. I survived two years with it i don't know how. I'm so glad i went turbo. 3-4 broken belts later and a new set of pulleys twice a year. it was a pain in the ass. oh i know you've set it to proper spec/tension. the problem is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep it there. temperature swings make this impossible. I don't care what people say about the 30mm kit. it's still trash and always will be trash. and if people are reading this and think i'm coming out harsh, that's fine because it's the truth. I've tried to provide input to kraftwerks directly when these kits came out, but they never listened to me. the 30mm is NOT the answer. it still will have the same problems, but the issue is delayed. not having an auto tensioner is the Achilles heel to this kit.... Honestly, ever since the customer service rep, CJ left, this company has been the absolute worst to deal with. And i'm more than happy to air my dirty laundry here because it's the truth. people coming in here saying they tracked theirs a few times and it hasn't broken or went through a couple drift sessions is only the start. Daily it, drive it to and from the track. run the 20-30 minute sessions for three days straight.

like i said, this kit is only good highway pulls and cool factor points at car shows, and that's pretty clear on their instagram in my opinion. it's all stance nation BS. Zero track.

/end rant.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote