follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Haha

I guarantee you that wasnt a stock trans...
Stock, possibly no, but it is likely a beefed up OEM transmission. ST class is meant to use much of the original car. The Irish Mike's Genesis' were running stock mechanics (read: just ECU changes) drivetrain from airbox to exhaust tip.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I guessed that to be the reason but I believe that there are now cars FT86 cars racing with good success. Some are even competing for 24 hours and winning in Europe. Maybe they are not tuned to the extent of the DT cars but they certainly should be able to do the Pirelli World Challenge TC class where they only run for about 40 minutes twice per weekend. I wonder if that chassis is for sale.
ST Rules run the engines close-ish to OEM setups and they were trying for 300HP NA on these engines. That's no simple thing to do reliably when you consider most of 3 hours at a time will be spent at WOT.

I can't seem to find a build rulebook (just the generic one). Ernie, do you know if those are made public?
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Insanely envious of your position sir. @ErnieFrancisJr
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwallblakmail View Post
DI SEALS FTMFW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
ST Rules run the engines close-ish to OEM setups and they were trying for 300HP NA on these engines. That's no simple thing to do reliably when you consider most of 3 hours at a time will be spent at WOT.

I can't seem to find a build rulebook (just the generic one). Ernie, do you know if those are made public?
Yeah in ST they have to go 2.5 hours but the secret to DI seals longevity is engine cooling and a proper tune. These motors run extremely hot. A oversized oil cooler is imperative.

If they raced the car in Pirelli then they would only have to go 40 minutes which would solve much of the reliability issue. The SkullCandy Nissan Altimas just switched to Pirelli and they are much more competitive there than they were in Conti ST.

I would be surprised if anyone in ST is getting 300HP out of their engines. I read an article in Road and Track or GRM a couple years ago where they were reviewing a competitive ST car and it was producing under 250HP. I don't think they have advanced to 300HP in just a couple years. I suppose I could be wrong but that seems to run contrary to the cost containment philosophy type of racing that these classes are known for.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Yeah in ST they have to go 2.5 hours but the secret to DI seals longevity is engine cooling and a proper tune. These motors run extremely hot. A oversized oil cooler is imperative.

If they raced the car in Pirelli then they would only have to go 40 minutes which would solve much of the reliability issue. The SkullCandy Nissan Altimas just switched to Pirelli and they are much more competitive there than they were in Conti ST.

I would be surprised if anyone in ST is getting 300HP out of their engines. I read an article in Road and Track or GRM a couple years ago where they were reviewing a competitive ST car and it was producing under 250HP. I don't think they have advanced to 300HP in just a couple years. I suppose I could be wrong but that seems to run contrary to the cost containment philosophy type of racing that these classes are known for.
The SkullCandy Nissan Altimas did win the BMW 200 or whatever it is called at Daytona a couple years ago. I don't think there is any way you are going to get 300 HP NA out of the FA20. I don't know the fuel restrictions or fuel cell size limitations for the ST class though since it is enudrance racing.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
Stock, possibly no, but it is likely a beefed up OEM transmission. ST class is meant to use much of the original car. The Irish Mike's Genesis' were running stock mechanics (read: just ECU changes) drivetrain from airbox to exhaust tip.
Sounds like straight cut gears to me.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Also sounds like a Twin Screw SC is equipped. Innovate? I wonder if the infamous heat soak was causing issues with power delivery? Or that tip in knock specific to the Innovate SC that some tuners were previously having issues with could have eaten up the DI seals. Just guessing now since RRR will probably never release info about their reliability issues.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
forwallblakmail
Troll Level: Expert

Drives: '13 BRZ, '18 F150 3.5EB, '07 Cayman
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Also sounds like a Twin Screw SC is equipped. Innovate? I wonder if the infamous heat soak was causing issues with power delivery? Or that tip in knock specific to the Innovate SC that some tuners were previously having issues with could have eaten up the DI seals. Just guessing now since RRR will probably never release info about their reliability issues.
I don't think you're allowed to run FI on non-FI equipped cars in ST per the conti rulebook.
NASA ST5/TT5 #130
Southeast Region
forwallblakmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
ddeflyer

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you might be hearing the straight cut gears in the race transmission. I don't think they are allowed to change the aspiration mode of cars. I talked to some of the teams running Civic SIs and they were saying they had sealed engines and tuned them to get about 250HP to the wheels. This was in comparison to the cars that came stock with turbos which they put restrictor plates on.

Of course maybe they changed the rules or they were blowing smoke after loosing to some Miatas? (this was after the race at MRLS in 2013)

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwallblakmail View Post
I don't think you're allowed to run FI on non-FI equipped cars in ST per the conti rulebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
I think you might be hearing the straight cut gears in the race transmission. I don't think they are allowed to change the aspiration mode of cars. I talked to some of the teams running Civic SIs and they were saying they had sealed engines and tuned them to get about 250HP to the wheels. This was in comparison to the cars that came stock with turbos which they put restrictor plates on.

Of course maybe they changed the rules or they were blowing smoke after loosing to some Miatas? (this was after the race at MRLS in 2013)
Hum, I must be wrong then. The car just seems really torquey in that video. I'd love to see under the hood, or even better a full build sheet.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
ddeflyer

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Hum, I must be wrong then. The car just seems really torquey in that video. I'd love to see under the hood, or even better a full build sheet.
I would guess that the torqueyness might have to do with no emissions requirements, little noise requirements, much shorter required lifespan, substantially reduced weight, customized gearing, 100 octane fuel, etc.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #26
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Well, I'm a fan.

I hope to see this car on TV.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #27
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
Sounds like straight cut gears to me.
Haha

My point exactly....
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #28
ErnieFrancisJr
Race Car Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
They told me it was a stock tranny, but with a short shift kit. It was very nice to shift though.
ErnieFrancisJr is offline   Reply With Quote