follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #6945
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Took the frs for a log run right after the 4.67 fd install, feels pretty damn good... the whp and trq curve are identical to the stock 4.1 fd when it's corrected for final gear ratio change.
But i also did a comparison of "what is the equivalent whp and trq" If the 4.67 was still a 4.1 and the curve is at a equivalent of 268whp and 245trq if it was a 4.1

Note: I'm not saying that the new fd added whp and trq. I'm only saying that it's 268/245 equivalent,,,,if that makes any sense.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (08-02-2014), DAEMANO (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #6946
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
Took the frs for a log run right after the 4.67 fd install, feels pretty damn good... the whp and trq curve are identical to the stock 4.1 fd when it's corrected for final gear ratio change.
But i also did a comparison of "what is the equivalent whp and trq" If the 4.67 was still a 4.1 and the curve is at a equivalent of 268whp and 245trq if it was a 4.1

Note: I'm not saying that the new fd added whp and trq. I'm only saying that it's 268/245 equivalent,,,,if that makes any sense.
Video or it didn't happen
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #6947
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Glad y'all are having a blast with it. Unfortunately it sounds like it's not what I'm looking for.
I will be going the traditional supercharger route. This seems too much like a turbo setup.

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad86 For This Useful Post:
MmmHamSandwich (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #6948
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Video or it didn't happen
Video of gtec run will come soon. As for the hp comparison it's just from the openflash tablet log using virtual dyno. Vd may not be super accurate but it's a good tool to used for before and after mod comparison.
For example. Pre fd install the logs showed 220whp 196trq
After fd install the logs showed 268whp 245trq.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #6949
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
I will be going the traditional supercharger route. This seems too much like a turbo setup.

Chad where are you at. It's hard to describe the linear feel of the system. Maybe someone can give you a ride.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #6950
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:

You do realize that WOT can happen at 2k RPM, giving you full boost at the very bottom of the power band, right?

The big difference between this kit and either a turbo or a supercharger traditionally is zero boost lag. It's power on demand, wherever you want it and whenever you want it. Both turbos and superchargers build power non-linearly (more or less) and hit max power at the top of the power band.

I'm not sure how that is "too much like a turbo setup."

I was in the same boat as you -- was interested in the Vortech kit originally. Bought this kit for funsies to try out for a month or two, never looked back at the Vortech kit since.

Either way, let us know if we can answer any further questions to help with your decision. You can't offend us at least not very easily -- I would just feel bad for you if you choose against this kit without quite knowing what this option is. But I also won't ever blame anyone for going traditional FI. Different strokes.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (08-02-2014), DAEMANO (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #6951
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
You do realize that WOT can happen at 2k RPM, giving you full boost at the very bottom of the power band, right?

The big difference between this kit and either a turbo or a supercharger traditionally is zero boost lag. It's power on demand, wherever you want it and whenever you want it. Both turbos and superchargers build power non-linearly (more or less) and hit max power at the top of the power band.

I'm not sure how that is "too much like a turbo setup."

I was in the same boat as you -- was interested in the Vortech kit originally. Bought this kit for funsies to try out for a month or two, never looked back at the Vortech kit since.

Either way, let us know if we can answer any further questions to help with your decision. You can't offend us at least not very easily -- I would just feel bad for you if you choose against this kit without quite knowing what this option is. But I also won't ever blame anyone for going traditional FI. Different strokes.
100 percent agree. This system is not for everyone and I have no problems with people choosing full time FI if it meets their goals.

You will never be able to make everyone happy that's why it is great that we have so many options.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #6952
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

To each, their own choices.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #6953
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
Video of gtec run will come soon. As for the hp comparison it's just from the openflash tablet log using virtual dyno. Vd may not be super accurate but it's a good tool to used for before and after mod comparison.
For example. Pre fd install the logs showed 220whp 196trq
After fd install the logs showed 268whp 245trq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Chad where are you at. It's hard to describe the linear feel of the system. Maybe someone can give you a ride.

Speaking of rides. @shif7i7down, don't suppose that you'd be close enough for a meet and ride sometime down the road. I do make an annual journey to visit relatives in Janesville and wouldn't mind a detour.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #6954
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
100 percent agree. This system is not for everyone and I have no problems with people choosing full time FI if it meets their goals.

You will never be able to make everyone happy that's why it is great that we have so many options.
This kit fits my needs perfectly and I'm thrilled it was available. What great timing. Bought my BRZ after driving a piece of crap for 14 years and, just a few months later, "Oh, look, I can get more power with this new-fangled thing". Just what I need without what I've now come to learn can sometimes be an unending hassle of full time FI.

I do a ton of city driving. That's where I live, work and play. Once, maybe twice a day, I need the extra zip to negotiate traffic. This kit has been a Godsend. I remember reading a thread about the twin's stock power (one thread of maybe 1,000), and somebody wrote that stock is just fine for passing on the highway. I disagree. To me it felt like it was taking forever to pass going uphill. Haha, not anymore!
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winjr For This Useful Post:
robwbright (08-03-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #6955
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjr View Post
This kit fits my needs perfectly and I'm thrilled it was available. What great timing. Bought my BRZ after driving a piece of crap for 14 years and, just a few months later, "Oh, look, I can get more power with this new-fangled thing". Just what I need without what I've now come to learn can sometimes be an unending hassle of full time FI.

I do a ton of city driving. That's where I live, work and play. Once, maybe twice a day, I need the extra zip to negotiate traffic. This kit has been a Godsend. I remember reading a thread about the twin's stock power (one thread of maybe 1,000), and somebody wrote that stock is just fine for passing on the highway. I disagree. To me it felt like it was taking forever to pass going uphill. Haha, not anymore!
So do you have to click a switch to turn on the extra power? How does this system work?
Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #6956
fenton

Quote:
So do you have to click a switch to turn on the extra power? How does this system work?
It is connected to the throttle and engages at 80 percent physical throttle.

This is very similar to how a turbo would work....you can never get a turbo to go full boost with half throttle...hell even getting a turbo to do half boost at half throttle is challenging... Most often a turbo likes to spool to 0 and then to its max psi. It is very hard to get a turbo car to stat at 7 psi if 10 is the max. This is of course dependent on the car and turbo.

I had a 2011sti stage 1 for two years and it was like switch. You would either have no boost or full boost....and it was a blast

Right now my FRS is as fast as my sti was but it has much more linear torque.... Go WOT and within half a second you have all your torques and it tappers to redline just like a standard NA or positive displacement engine would be.

My sti was go WOT, nothing, nothing, nothing....bam 320tq.
DAEMANO (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #6957
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm certainly not the most qualified here to answer, but

1) Switch under the accelerator is thrown at approximately 80% WOT.
2) Signal is sent to controller.
3) Controller sends signal to compressor, telling it to spin.
4) Compressor spins at approximately 30,000 rpm (or is it 50k?), creating up to 5 psi of air flow blowing into the engine.
5) Car rockets off.
6) Ease off on accelerator and batteries quickly recharge. almost always quicker than you deplete them, unless you're tracking the car heavily.

The best description is at the Phantom website:

http://www.phantomsuperchargers.com/tech.html

Oops, Fenton already answered.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winjr For This Useful Post:
fenton (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #6958
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjr View Post
I'm certainly not the most qualified here to answer, but

1) Switch under the accelerator is thrown at approximately 80% WOT.
2) Signal is sent to controller.
3) Controller sends signal to compressor, telling it to spin.
4) Compressor spins at approximately 30,000 rpm (or is it 50k?), creating up to 5 psi of air flow blowing into the engine.
5) Car rockets off.
6) Ease off on accelerator and batteries quickly recharge. almost always quicker than you deplete them, unless you're tracking the car heavily.

The best description is at the Phantom website:

http://www.phantomsuperchargers.com/tech.html

Oops, Fenton already answered.
The 250 is about 43k rpm

I don't even know what I'm running anymore...
Winjr (08-02-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive