follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 06-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #56827
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
word.

the prof has even said this a time or two, "this isn't how it's actually done. it's just how the course wants you to learn it.". and people wonder why our educational system sucks so much.

this isn't some community college. it's the 2nd largest school in my state. plenty of money and resources to go around.

going to talk to the prof after class tonight. I'm almost certain I got a chit grade on my quiz because it the software wants us to put extra lines into our balance sheets that don't have the info in real life.
One of several reasons I quit my engineering degree in 2nd year at a "top university" was when I was struggling in a calculus course. I was basically told "you will never do this in the real world, so just learn enough to pass the course".

I found it almost impossible to focus and study on nothing but theory with no connection to real world scenarios. Dropped out shortly after and attended a smaller technical school to get my associates degree. All of our instructors were part-time teachers who worked their regular industry jobs. Completely different experience, and a lot more hands on "real" work. Graduated with honours, one of the best choices I ever made.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #56828
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
My word of advice is, on the test, just give them what they are looking for.

You can learn/practice doing it the updated way on your own time -

humfrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
One of several reasons I quit my engineering degree in 2nd year at a "top university" was when I was struggling in a calculus course. I was basically told "you will never do this in the real world, so just learn enough to pass the course".

I found it almost impossible to focus and study on nothing but theory with no connection to real world scenarios. Dropped out shortly after and attended a smaller technical school to get my associates degree. All of our instructors were part-time teachers who worked their regular industry jobs. Completely different experience, and a lot more hands on "real" work. Graduated with honours, one of the best choices I ever made.
Learning also teaches you critical thinking, not just technical skills. I was a philosophy major, and the skills I learned there I also use at work and in outside life. So you learn is one way. Then you learn it another way later. The first way you learn prepares you for the second way and the third and fourth.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #56829
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
My word of advice is, on the test, just give them what they are looking for.

You can learn/practice doing it the updated way on your own time -

humfrz
that's the problem. I forgot to add in the redundant BS they want for the quiz and I'm sure it will continue. if I'm lucky it'll stop there. I mean it's just recording info on a balance sheet. I can remember to add the extra line.

technically my work is correct. I am learning the info and doing at a VERY fast pace. the Prof and syllabus stress how they want us to actually learn and given my major I really need to nail this down. beyond me having to maintain a 3.0avg on all my classes from here out. it will have applications in the courses down the road which I'm certain will need me to know how to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post

you're not the first person to tell me about a similar exp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Learning also teaches you critical thinking, not just technical skills. I was a philosophy major, and the skills I learned there I also use at work and in outside life. So you learn is one way. Then you learn it another way later. The first way you learn prepares you for the second way and the third and fourth.
I've ran into a pretty black and white issue. it's basic X's and O's. this class just grades me on adding a Y. :p
Old 06-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #56830
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Learning also teaches you critical thinking, not just technical skills. I was a philosophy major, and the skills I learned there I also use at work and in outside life.
Hey small world! My undergrad is Philosophy with a Math minor. At the time I graduated I was the only graduate in the 150 year history of my college that had a B.S. in Philosophy (I had enough math/science credits to qualify for a B.S. instead of a B.A.).

Had planned to go to law school but saw the errors of my way. Ended up in computers and got a Masters, Information Systems while working in the field.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #56831
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
NEVER GO LOOKING FOR OIL LEAKS

humfrz

Schrödinger's cat?
The Twins make me smile
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-03-2019), humfrz (06-03-2019), ScoobsMcGee (06-04-2019), Ultramaroon (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #56832
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Pass couple days, I'm having weird allergic reaction to something... which cannot figure out what's causing it. Of course to answer to that is "Go to Doc..." yes, yes indeed I need to go to doc & prob be going. Just weird getting some allergic reaction randomly.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #56833
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Pass couple days, I'm having weird allergic reaction to something... which cannot figure out what's causing it. Of course to answer to that is "Go to Doc..." yes, yes indeed I need to go to doc & prob be going. Just weird getting some allergic reaction randomly.
What type of reaction? Also, have you taken anything that has been fine in the past?

I ask because about 10 years ago I suddenly developed an allergy to NSAIDS (aspirin, Motrin, that type of thing) after having taken them regularly with no issues for 50 years. That type of allergy, once it is onset, potentially gets worse every time you are exposed. I went from a mild "what the heck is that" reaction the first time, to the 3rd time I had to go to the ED because my neck and face were swelling up so bad.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #56834
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
And a parsec is a unit of distance, what is your point?

just watched Solo........if you think about it he found a new short-cut......so he did do it in less distance
Old 06-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #56835
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, that cop was a racist POS. I mean, if you got out of the car and started saying racist things, watch out. But if your car broke down, probably the worst you'd have gotten was some shit and a call to a tow truck. Now if people from those neighborhoods went into a white neighborhood, oh boy...
I couldn't tell you. He seemed like a nice honest black man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #56836
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
just watched Solo........if you think about it he found a new short-cut......so he did do it in less distance
As a "han shot first"-type of star wars fan, it bothers me so much that they canonized the stupid EU kessel run stuff.

To me, that line was supposed to establish to the viewer that Han is a bullshit artist just saying impressive-sounding words to dazzle Obi-Wan and Luke into buying his services. Han is supposed to be this fast-talking, self-centered smuggler on the run who only looks out for himself (and maybe Chewie...). It makes sense that he would bullshit about his ship, it makes sense that he'd shoot Greedo before he has a chance to do anything to put Han in more danger.

To make the kessel run quote literal (and making Greedo shoot first), takes away a part of what makes Han's arc special. Han coming back to help the Rebels is special because its exactly the thing the old Han would never do. Truth-telling, only-shooting-in-self-defense, always-been-a-good-guy Han is way less interesting, at least in my opinion.

/nerdrant
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
IceFyre13th (06-04-2019), NoHaveMSG (06-04-2019), ScoobsMcGee (06-04-2019), Spuds (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #56837
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
What type of reaction? Also, have you taken anything that has been fine in the past?

I ask because about 10 years ago I suddenly developed an allergy to NSAIDS (aspirin, Motrin, that type of thing) after having taken them regularly with no issues for 50 years. That type of allergy, once it is onset, potentially gets worse every time you are exposed. I went from a mild "what the heck is that" reaction the first time, to the 3rd time I had to go to the ED because my neck and face were swelling up so bad.
Itchy in joint section, especially armpit & neck. Saturday was pretty bad, had hives around my biceps. It gone away after few hrs.

I’ve somewhat allergic to aspirin, but nothing go crazy & don’t think I’ve taken any aspirin recently.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #56838
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
I have signed up for my first autocross this coming weekend. Super looking forward to it. Don't think I can go wrong for $55 (includes lunch even!), Just need to get a new helmet, find some people who are willing to let me ride with them, and find some people to ride with me. Only know 3 or 4 people who are attending, so maybe I'll be able to make some new friends.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (06-04-2019), humfrz (06-03-2019), ScoobsMcGee (06-04-2019), soulreapersteve (06-04-2019), Spuds (06-04-2019), wolffbite (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #56839
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hey small world! My undergrad is Philosophy with a Math minor. At the time I graduated I was the only graduate in the 150 year history of my college that had a B.S. in Philosophy (I had enough math/science credits to qualify for a B.S. instead of a B.A.).

Had planned to go to law school but saw the errors of my way. Ended up in computers and got a Masters, Information Systems while working in the field.
See, I went the opposite direction. I started full time in tech support at age 16. Then I went to Philosophy, still selling computers. Then I wrote articles about games and computers online for a few years, also editing. I moved into teaching and then into tutoring.

A good friend of mine started with less computer knowledge than me and ended up head of tech for various school districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I couldn't tell you. He seemed like a nice honest black man.
And everybody knows a black man can't be a racist POS. /s
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #56840
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Itchy in joint section, especially armpit & neck. Saturday was pretty bad, had hives around my biceps. It gone away after few hrs.

I’ve somewhat allergic to aspirin, but nothing go crazy & don’t think I’ve taken any aspirin recently.
That sucks.

Since its on your upper body... have you bought a new pillow or bed sheets recently?

About 5 years ago I bought a new mattress pad/cover and shortly after started to get hives all over my back and legs. After a week of going to my doctor and trying to figure out what was going on I remembered the new mattress pad and the hives were gone within a day of removing it. If I hadn't figured that out, it was a 6 month waiting list to see a dermatologist just to get some skin testing done...

I bought a new more expensive mattress pad later and didn't have an issue. There must have been some sort of chemical or additive in the cheaper fabric that couldn't be removed by washing.
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis