follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #57
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So has anyone fabricated slits in their OEM hood other than robispec? I do like the idea, but was wondering what the labor/head ache of doing this. I just don't want it to look too ghetto.

It sounds like the Seibon/Vis CF hoods are a hit or miss, what other options are there? Also, are vented hoods effective with heat dissipation or bigger rad/oil cooler/tranny cooler a more effective way of approaching this issue?

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #58
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZPDX View Post
So has anyone fabricated slits in their OEM hood other than robispec? I do like the idea, but was wondering what the labor/head ache of doing this. I just don't want it to look too ghetto.

It sounds like the Seibon/Vis CF hoods are a hit or miss, what other options are there? Also, are vented hoods effective with heat dissipation or bigger rad/oil cooler/tranny cooler a more effective way of approaching this issue?
I personally go for custom work done on my oem hood to make it look like the TS hood, I'm much of a fan of all the little slits like Robispec.

Yeah, Seibon is hit and miss not sure about VIS. Some have said with Seibon fitment was nearly like oem and others have had some pretty bad experiences with theirs.

From what I can understand a vented hood is quite effective, with a nice sized rad and oil cooper and a vented hood, I don't think heat would be too much of an issue
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #59
TRD_07

Drives: Firestorm 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There's also these front fenders which @stevo_12v has them already and he stated that could feel the heat dissipate through the vents. I can see how some people might or might not like them though.

http://www.ings-net.com/products/n-spec/86/

Last edited by TRD_07; 12-16-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
TRD_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRD_07 For This Useful Post:
stevo_12v (01-08-2014)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #60
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_07 View Post
There's also these front fenders which @stevo_12v has them already and he stated that could feel the heat dissipate through the vents. I can see how some people might or might not like them though.

http://www.ings-net.com/products/n-spec/86/
Not a fan of the fenders, but their hood "Aero Bonnet" seems to look like it would be pretty effective and doesn't look half bad, just wonder how fitment would be..
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #61
Anthonytpt

Drives: '13 Argento 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I can't wait to run this on my car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
CSG is working on a cooling solution.

I believe we will be the first, if not one of the first, to offer this type of solution. Drawing on our background in... cooling computers (as well as that of industry partners), we are developing a copper finned brass core radiator, which will be more efficient in pulling heat out of the engine coolant. Combined with a more powerful fan (which we are planning on packaging the radiator with), cooling issues should be solved.

We have been testing the cores on other cars, (Supercharged NSX, Supercharged S2000), and will begin validation testing on our 2014 BRZ (also going to be supercharged). We will NOT release the solution until we are sure that it works.

To add to the mix, we are NOT utilizing a vented hood. The only cooling modification will be the radiator and fan.

Testing will be performed both on track, and on back roads.

By the way, I love Palomar tight side.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #62
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Ironically, I used to have a Zalman on my P4... I use a Thermalright now.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #63
Anthonytpt

Garage
Zalman always played nicely in my setups, but lately I've been going through Apple's MacBook Pro lineup refreshes. I've been wanting to build another PC rig, but you keep selling me stuff for my FR-S. Stawp it. A thousand apologies for going off topic.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #64
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
I live in the PNW, we see a shit load of rain. The vents are usually ok with rain weather correct? I do like that robispec vents on the OEM hood. I think Prova makes the functional fender garnish, but seems like I can DIY at home with this. Luckily its cold as F*** right now, but want to square it away before spring/summer!

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #65
toekneehair

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ/FBM turbo flexfuel
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
when you say mountain run... you literally mean push it up to the top? Spirited driving? Most engines will overheat in this situation. Not only are you working your engine to it max, but you are also adding a very big load by going uphill. If you go too long without letting the engine breathe in between WOT it will undoubtedly heat up... And CF hoods w/ scoops are rice IMO
Yes spirited driving up palomar here in Cali. I have gone still N/A before and made it fine without over heating but that's understandably different from being boosted. From the other comments on here I can see now that the scoops are not as effective as I would have hoped. It wasn't about the look for me as the efficiency of getting colder air into the engine bay. It sounds like they cause a lot of back pressure against the air coming in through the radiator. Stagnant air around the radiator or less air passing through it will really take a toll on the cooling efficiency. Looks like a new thermostat and a vented good and possibly full blowns shroud may be the way to go.

I did notice that my intercooler pipe coming into the intake sits atop of the radiator hose and gets a lot of heat from there. Any one running into the same situation and are there any solutions you have found? I was thinking maybe a bracket to hold up the intercooler pipe off the hose might work to help.
toekneehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #66
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post
Yes spirited driving up palomar here in Cali. I have gone still N/A before and made it fine without over heating but that's understandably different from being boosted. From the other comments on here I can see now that the scoops are not as effective as I would have hoped. It wasn't about the look for me as the efficiency of getting colder air into the engine bay. It sounds like they cause a lot of back pressure against the air coming in through the radiator. Stagnant air around the radiator or less air passing through it will really take a toll on the cooling efficiency. Looks like a new thermostat and a vented good and possibly full blowns shroud may be the way to go.

I did notice that my intercooler pipe coming into the intake sits atop of the radiator hose and gets a lot of heat from there. Any one running into the same situation and are there any solutions you have found? I was thinking maybe a bracket to hold up the intercooler pipe off the hose might work to help.
What's your setup? I might be able to assist with your cooling issues; we run FI cars on track in summer heat without issue, but we do plan for it ahead of time too.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #67
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Who sells a good radiator?
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #68
toekneehair

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ/FBM turbo flexfuel
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What's your setup? I might be able to assist with your cooling issues; we run FI cars on track in summer heat without issue, but we do plan for it ahead of time too.
Full blown motorsports stage 1 turbo kit
Full blown radiator
Mishimoto oil cooler
Full blown oil catch can
exhaust wrap over headers and down pipe
braided lines for turbo coolant and oil lines
toekneehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #69
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post
Full blown motorsports stage 1 turbo kit
Full blown radiator
Mishimoto oil cooler
Full blown oil catch can
exhaust wrap over headers and down pipe
braided lines for turbo coolant and oil lines
No cooling mods? I'm not surprised you're overheating. What was your baseline dyno, and your post-turbo dyno?

Is the turbo oil cooled or water cooled?

Whats your long term power and sustainability goal?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #70
Anthonytpt

Garage
Am I a terrible person for only thinking about the Full Blown Aids skit?