follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thread is relevant to my interests. Carry on!
@GSpeed I really appreciate your dedication to options for this chassis, and I like that it seems the interior could be modified minimally to retain most of it with this bar in place.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
MaximeT is right. You're looking at the total kinetic energy in the system, and applying that to one single point in the car all at once. Your numbers aren't wrong, that's just not the right equation for this situation.

Jake
In the example of the Mustang flipping over, the force is even worse since the car has gravity helping it as it comes down on its roof. The point is that if you are going well over 50mph, and flip like the Mustang, then you will see a force much greater than the above. Even spread over the roof, and the four points of the roll bar, the force will be enough to punch at least one of the points through the sheet metal.

Anyway, its all a matter of balancing compromises between full on race cage and nothing. For the most part, you are right that the roll bar is very unlikely to see such forces as the one on the Mustang scenario which is a worst case scenario where the car flips and lands perfectly upside down with the full force remaining from having hit the tire wall.

So far, you bar looks better than the Cusco and worse than the Autopower. However, the latter does require welding in the front footing plates which a lot of people are not willing to do. I went with a custom bar to meet my balance of compromises

It would be nice to see how the front bars are attached. It looks it is sandwiching more than the just the floor, which I think is a key selling point and might put it closer in strength to having used the rear seat shelf.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Right, you see where we're coming from. No one will argue this is as strong as a fully welded cage. That's common sense. This is for the people that want a little more safety to augment aftermarket seats and harnesses. If you think you'll be in an environment where flipping is a very real possibility (wheel-to-wheel, rally, etc.) you need a fully welded cage. Which is why that's what our shop development car has.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #18
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Any updates on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byun View Post
Any updates on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. We have a member on this sites' car in the shop to use for interior measurements. Should be getting started this week. Our guys are finishing up some other projects before they get started on this car, and we'll have some pictures put up once work begins.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
BatStig (08-16-2016), Brzzee (08-16-2016), byun (08-16-2016), Jonsey (08-16-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #20
batlwagn

Drives: 2016 Outback 3.6R, 2016 BRZ(ordered
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Subbed for updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #21
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
In the top picture the bar leans forward in the bottom picture it leans backwards which is it.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #22
FRS Justin

OK, so I just sat in my car and basically your design is close to what I have.
Looking at your drawings and comparing it to mine I see a few issues you might want to address....
1: you say not to use them with a factory seat but your bar does not include a harness bar.
2: I would consider moving it back for 2 reasons. 1st reason is someone will buy this bar and use a factory seat and kill themselves hitting their head on the bar.....2nd reason is its a bolt in bar that has maybe 2/3 the strength as a weld in bar. So knowing this I would move it back to be safer to the driver and still add protection. Yes it could punch thru but its a extra layer of protection. Mine with a harness bar weighed 47 lbs.
In February this year my nephew was driving a jeep and got t-boned by some asshole who wasn't paying attention and ran a stop sign.... He was hit so hard he shattered his skull on the roll bar and it killed him instantly... This isn't a mod for coolness points at a stance car show. A roll bar will kill you or save your life and you only get one chance to do it right.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
OK, so I just sat in my car and basically your design is close to what I have.
Looking at your drawings and comparing it to mine I see a few issues you might want to address....
1: you say not to use them with a factory seat but your bar does not include a harness bar.
2: I would consider moving it back for 2 reasons. 1st reason is someone will buy this bar and use a factory seat and kill themselves hitting their head on the bar.....2nd reason is its a bolt in bar that has maybe 2/3 the strength as a weld in bar. So knowing this I would move it back to be safer to the driver and still add protection. Yes it could punch thru but its a extra layer of protection. Mine with a harness bar weighed 47 lbs.
In February this year my nephew was driving a jeep and got t-boned by some asshole who wasn't paying attention and ran a stop sign.... He was hit so hard he shattered his skull on the roll bar and it killed him instantly... This isn't a mod for coolness points at a stance car show. A roll bar will kill you or save your life and you only get one chance to do it right.
Could you explain how to kill ourselves with the oem seat vs race seat ? Is that related to tilting seat back ?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #24
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
Could you explain how to kill ourselves with the oem seat vs race seat ? Is that related to tilting seat back ?
The oem seat offers no head protection at all if you are in a crash or roll especially if you lean it back. A race seat with shoulder harnesses will hold you down into the seat.
With the placement of the bar you would have to wear a helmet on the street or roll the dice in a oem seat.
Maybe MRK1 can explain it better...
Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
MaximeT

Garage
Quote:
The oem seat offers no head protection at all if you are in a crash or roll especially if you lean it back. A race seat with shoulder harnesses will hold you down into the seat.
With the placement of the bar you would have to wear a helmet on the street or roll the dice in a oem seat.
Maybe MRK1 can explain it better...
I understand that, but it looks like the seat back is in front of the rol bare. You think it's still too close ?

The point of a half cage is to drive on the road to the track. That would make it useless if it's as unsafe as a full cage on the road.

(Not that I plan to use oem seat, but I plan to drive the car on the road without helmet)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #26
FRS Justin

I guess we will have to wait until we see a picture with someone sitting in the car.
In all fairness its hard to speculate from 2 different drawings...
Old 08-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
MaximeT

Garage
Quote:
I guess we will have to wait until we see a picture with someone sitting in the car.
In all fairness its hard to speculate from 2 different drawings...
Yes probably.

At the moment I think I may use a reclining seat like a Bride Gias 2 and full OEM safety.

Properly using the 3 point belt with a fixed back bucket on the road is looking more and more painful to setup.

Dunno if Gspeed got a solution to properly mount the seat belt receiver to pass inside the bucket seat opening ?
FRS Justin (08-20-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #28
MaximeT

Garage
I guess with this design, the harness pass should follow the second graph ?

What's your position guys related to using a 6 point harness, no helmet and oem airbag on the road ?

I don't care at all about it being legal. Just the safety side.

It's pretty hard to find an answer so far.