follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Jesus christ, none of you read the question.

Quote:
So my question to you all is, whether having the rumble and smoother torque on the daily worth the PAX hit during autocross season?
Putting the kid gloves on is nice and all, but the OP didn't exactly come off as someone who doesn't know how competition works.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Jesus christ, none of you read the question.

Putting the kid gloves on is nice and all, but the OP didn't exactly come off as someone who doesn't know how competition works.

The short answer is no. It isn't worth giving up something you will enjoy on your car, or otherwise changing/conforming your car to win at something that you have almost no chance in winning anyway.

Last edited by Yardjass; 02-10-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the tips... as with any forum it got sideways in the middle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
It isn't worth giving up something you will enjoy on your car, or otherwise changing/conforming your car to win at something that you have almost no chance in winning anyway.
But I think your comment hit home the most...

Thanks again!
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (02-13-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Quote:
So my question to you all is, whether having the rumble and smoother torque on the daily worth the PAX hit during autocross season?
Quote:
The short answer is no. It isn't worth giving up something you will enjoy on your car, or otherwise changing/conforming your car to win at something that you have almost no chance in winning anyway.
PAX speaking, the current DS PAX is soft for the <16 FRS/BRZ, in my opinion. STX is a little tougher.

The original question you are asking is a value question. What do you value?

It seems strange that you bought the car as an autoX toy and would be considering a setup for the car that would make it less competitive (without a lot more setup). If you are not interested in doing the full STX setup, and this is an autoX toy, then NO, you should not do the UEL.

In this specific instance, all or nothing. If this is just a car you enjoy, then do as you wish.

- brian
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-27-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
jwisjw

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
Hey guys,
LOOOONG time lurker. I'm picking up a new to me BRZ for a daily driver and autocross toy. I'm looking forward to our upcoming but short autocross season this year (Alaska problems). With the group of cars that compete here I'm not going to be fighting for the top spot in raw times, so PAX is where I think I'll be competitive.

With this new car I'm really interested in doing a UEL and OFT tune, frankly just for the little bit of noise and torque dip reduction. But I have no desire or plan for coilovers, wide tires and all the other things that STX'ers typically do. I will be replacing the stock tires! (as soon as it finishes snowing)

About me:Last season I co-drove a friends early C4 corvette (and beat him at every event), and long before that I was in HS with my trusty sentra. So I generally have fun with driving 'slow' cars fast.

Thanks for the input!
FWIW, this is a video of my STS CRX vs my FR-S that was on stock suspension, bars, springs, shocks with 17x9 BFG Rival-S. Car had all the bolt on engine mods without a cat or a tune. As the grip went up on the concrete side, the car started feeling more sluggish when changing directions, which was expected.

As others have stated, the wheels/tire combination offer a lot alone.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jJ8xcY6Eg"]STX Lite vs STS - YouTube[/ame]
jwisjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #20
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
FWIW, this is a video of my STS CRX vs my FR-S that was on stock suspension, bars, springs, shocks with 17x9 BFG Rival-S. Car had all the bolt on engine mods without a cat or a tune. As the grip went up on the concrete side, the car started feeling more sluggish when changing directions, which was expected.

As others have stated, the wheels/tire combination offer a lot alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
PAX speaking, the current DS PAX is soft for the <16 FRS/BRZ, in my opinion. STX is a little tougher.

The original question you are asking is a value question. What do you value?

It seems strange that you bought the car as an autoX toy and would be considering a setup for the car that would make it less competitive (without a lot more setup). If you are not interested in doing the full STX setup, and this is an autoX toy, then NO, you should not do the UEL.

In this specific instance, all or nothing. If this is just a car you enjoy, then do as you wish.

- brian
Thanks for the insights, but I think now that I know exactly which car I'm going to be driving... I'm just going to do brake pads and tires and get to know the car this season. I'm getting super excited for some warm weather!... in 2 months
dowroa (03-01-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #21
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
I'm not promoting cheating, but the oft stage 1 tune (Oem header mapping) gets you easily halfway there in the quest to rid yourself of the torque dip. Most people don't talk about this, as they often buy the header then tune, or both at the same time. I ran the stage 1 tune for a year and really liked it. The power and dip reduction was more dramatic from all stock to the stage 1 tune than it was going from that to header and stage 2.

It's unlikely that would be noticed at an autoX unless you're gunning for nationals or something. Again, not promoting cheating, just saying.

In the end I wouldn't stay stock on a DD when it drives so much better tuned with or without a header. Not for a handful of autoX runs per year.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I'm not promoting cheating, but the oft stage 1 tune (Oem header mapping) gets you easily halfway there in the quest to rid yourself of the torque dip. Most people don't talk about this, as they often buy the header then tune, or both at the same time. I ran the stage 1 tune for a year and really liked it. The power and dip reduction was more dramatic from all stock to the stage 1 tune than it was going from that to header and stage 2.

It's unlikely that would be noticed at an autoX unless you're gunning for nationals or something. Again, not promoting cheating, just saying.

In the end I wouldn't stay stock on a DD when it drives so much better tuned with or without a header. Not for a handful of autoX runs per year.
I've thought about that, especially since it just takes a few minutes to swap back to the factory tune, but I'm gonna wait to see some dyno'd results on the 2017 cars before I do that.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
It's not just that - sometimes the reflash can do what I can only describe as a "awful" throttle response for 1-200 miles before it feels right. Happened quite noticeably the first time, and a bit after I went to stg2 (after I got a header). It isn't permanent, but definitely not something i'd do the morning of an autoX event.

just a heads up, your mileage may vary.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #24
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
It's not just that - sometimes the reflash can do what I can only describe as a "awful" throttle response for 1-200 miles before it feels right. Happened quite noticeably the first time, and a bit after I went to stg2 (after I got a header). It isn't permanent, but definitely not something i'd do the morning of an autoX event.

just a heads up, your mileage may vary.
Thanks! I'm just gonna have fun with her! I just picked her up from port this morning and now she's getting a PPF applied...

CatDaddysBBQ (03-13-2017)