follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #29
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Today is the day. Calling up Texas Speed and Performance after their lunch break to order the engine. Talked to them this morning and they can help me out getting the front sump pan, and baffle kit pre-installed before they send it.

Chosen the TSP 418 630hp Engine. In the end it seemed worth it for some more N/A power. Should take 4 weeks to get to me. Also ordering:
ACT Street Clutch w/ LW Flywheel.
Fuel Fittings to adapt the two stock metal lines into one single -6 AN hose.
Steam Port Adapter.

(Shout out to @wutsaiu for his parts list that has part number for fuel set-up and steam port adapter)
Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #30
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Today is the day. Calling up Texas Speed and Performance after their lunch break to order the engine. Talked to them this morning and they can help me out getting the front sump pan, and baffle kit pre-installed before they send it.

Chosen the TSP 418 630hp Engine. In the end it seemed worth it for some more N/A power. Should take 4 weeks to get to me. Also ordering:
ACT Street Clutch w/ LW Flywheel.
Fuel Fittings to adapt the two stock metal lines into one single -6 AN hose.
Steam Port Adapter.

(Shout out to @wutsaiu for his parts list that has part number for fuel set-up and steam port adapter)

Decided against the factory crate motor then

I hope TSP treats you like every dealing I had with them!
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #31
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice!!! I'll be a few months behind you on a pretty much the same set up. I ordered a 2017 BRZ last week and I'm talking to Texas Speed about that same engine.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
DustinS (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #32
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
Nice!!! I'll be a few months behind you on a pretty much the same set up. I ordered a 2017 BRZ last week and I'm talking to Texas Speed about that same engine.
It's good to note they can include the front sump for a good chunk of change cheaper than what can be bought separate. You can also request the improved racing baffling. I ordered it with the stock valve covers so I could mount the coils on them just in case.

They said it would be about a four week wait. Which doesn't bother me as I don't expect the Vorshlag kit to be released for a couple more months and I know there is about a 2 week wait for the transmission. Currently waiting on my winter car to get out of the shop so I can start tearing down the FRS and get the FA20 parts sold.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #33
DustinS

Trying to figure out if I want to spend the money on an aftermarket fuel rail. Looking at the Radium Engineering Kit with a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #34
ILLSMOQ

I like the look of them. The red fuel rails on this car looks pretty cool http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111575. I think tucking all the wires and cleaning up the hoses would look even better.

As far as adding the gauge in the rail, is it really going to be useful? It's adding another location for a possible fuel leak. You can't see it when you're driving. For testing you'll probably be using a real gauge anyway?

Speaking of fuel, what's the plan for a fuel system?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #35
DustinS

Quote:
I like the look of them. The red fuel rails on this car looks pretty cool http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111575. I think tucking all the wires and cleaning up the hoses would look even better.

As far as adding the gauge in the rail, is it really going to be useful? It's adding another location for a possible fuel leak. You can't see it when you're driving. For testing you'll probably be using a real gauge anyway?

Speaking of fuel, what's the plan for a fuel system?
Seeing as my car is blue and I am doing my best to change everything to blue (red stitching is the only thing red left). Blue or Black would be preferred. I do plan on trying to do a semi-wire tuck to make it look as clean as possible.

Fuel Pressure Gauge in the Rail was more for piece of mind and monitoring while it is on the dyno. I imagine I will upgrade the fuel system down the line. I am waiting to see what radium is about to release for the Twins as well as Visconti. So I will use it set the regulator.

I have a DW300C Pump already installed. I'll be running the same sort of set-up as @wutsaiu and merge the two factory fuel lines down to one line to feed the engine. Plan is the move the merge down further out of sight and run a -6 AN Hose up to the Fuel rail.

I am also pricing out what running a -6 AN line straight from the tank to the engine would cost. Though I would only really want stainless braided line under the car just in case.

Brain Storming:
Russells Push on EFI -6 AN Adapter on Fuel Pump Assembly -> -6 AN Stainless Line -> Russells -6 AN Fuel Filter -> -6 AN Stainless Line -> Hose Adapter at the back of engine bay switch from Braided Stainless to Braided Nylon -> Russell Push On EFI -6 AN adapter on fuel rail.

Last edited by DustinS; 10-28-2016 at 11:25 AM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DustinS For This Useful Post:
wutsaiu (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #36
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-16...6027b-kit.aspx
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #37
ILLSMOQ

I agree with you on the blue or black on a blue car...I'd lean toward everything black. I'm not crazy about the red stitching either(almost went with a new 86 instead because of it)...but that's a lot of stuff to change, I'm hoping the stitching grows on me.

Yeah I can see it useful for dyno sessions...as long as it's a high quality gauge...some of those things are cheaply made.

I use this for making fuel and brake lines. http://www.surrauto.com/documents/Ul...ine-Tubing.pdf

They offer metal line up to 3/8" (-6 AN) It bends easy and their flaring tool works perfectly.
http://www.surrauto.com

You can't buy directly from them though. I buy their stuff through Carquest auto parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
DustinS (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #38
DustinS

I went ahead and settled on just sticking with factory rails at this point. Clutch kit and fuel system fittings are ordered. Did the factory lines into a single Vibrant -6 AN line. Greddy Evo GT 3" Exhaust also ordered.

Last edited by DustinS; 10-28-2016 at 04:41 PM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #39
ILLSMOQ

Probably a good idea...you can always change them later.

Why did you pick this exhaust? Looks good. Kind of uncharted territory though with a V8. Looks similar to the exhaust layout RS-R used on their car. One thing that drives me nuts is exhaust drone. Hopefully it sounds awesome and doesn't drone. Only company I've seen that's figured out how to eliminate exhaust drone is Corsa. I may try to modify one of their systems to fit the BRZ depending on your experience with this Greddy system.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #40
DustinS

Quote:
Probably a good idea...you can always change them later.

Why did you pick this exhaust? Looks good. Kind of uncharted territory though with a V8. Looks similar to the exhaust layout RS-R used on their car. One thing that drives me nuts is exhaust drone. Hopefully it sounds awesome and doesn't drone. Only company I've seen that's figured out how to eliminate exhaust drone is Corsa. I may try to modify one of their systems to fit the BRZ depending on your experience with this Greddy system.
I wanted a good quality full 3" Dual exit exhaust that fit well and wasn't overly expensive. This will work well with my turbo FA20 until I can rip it out and replace it with the LS. It will also allow some fine tuning of the exhaust as the mufflers aren't too large or too small, so I can use different resonators/smaller muffler to get the sound I want/like. I also wanted something I could weld on dual tips to make a quad tip exhaust eventually.

I need something to get rid of the terrible drone from my current custom 2.5" which is pretty much a resonated straight pipe. Sounds amazing outside, but too loud inside.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #41
ILLSMOQ

Good plan. What about the Vorshlag system? They are going to offer one right? Isn't that what @cf6mech has on his car? How does it sound?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #42
DustinS

Quote:
Good plan. What about the Vorshlag system? They are going to offer one right? Isn't that what @cf6mech has on his car? How does it sound?
They may offer an exhaust, I am not sure though. The exhaust they made for the Alpha car was a one off.