follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #43
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Since this only appears to be happening when the engine is idling, what you're hearing most likely requires something to be spinning. To narrow it down, the clutch IS spinning, always, because it's attached to the engine; this is one possibility. When you engage/disengage it from the tranny, the only part it's affecting is the input shaft; the second possibility. Since the gears are helical, when one shaft turns it tries to corkscrew itself forward or backward against the mated gear. Since no gears are engaged in neutral, we may be hearing the near-instantaneous force of acceleration on the input shaft, and the drag caused by the thick tranny oil slowing it down quickly. Considering this car has had extreme efforts put into engineering it's transmission "feel", the noise may simply be a byproduct of the bushings or shifter linkages making a normal action become more audible.

I wouldn't necessarily suspect a throwout bearing I'd expect to feel and hear it pitching a fit with the pedal depressed.

When you move the clutch in/out more slowly (say 2sec in, 2sec out) does it still make the noise?
I 100% agree with this, mine does it too, and only if I release the clutch really fast, but if I feather it than I don't get the clunk. Also, while driving you have feather this clutch because of the delay valve causing it to be jerky otherwise. I have a ford ranger with 4.0 SOHC, 5 spd that does the sound as well. And it has 220000 km on it, mind you it's mazda tranny so it could be something the Japanese do when designing. My $0.02
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gords_zenith For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-18-2016)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #44
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
I 100% agree with this, mine does it too, and only if I release the clutch really fast, but if I feather it than I don't get the clunk. Also, while driving you have feather this clutch because of the delay valve causing it to be jerky otherwise. I have a ford ranger with 4.0 SOHC, 5 spd that does the sound as well. And it has 220000 km on it, mind you it's mazda tranny so it could be something the Japanese do when designing. My $0.02
I did some more experimentation, and I'm certain it's the input shaft making the noise (or the oil drag on the input shaft causing the gears to make the noise). Either way, it's not a problem.

Here's a few repeatable tests for anyone interested in verifying this for themselves. If you understand how a transmission works, it makes a million times more sense.

Test 1: Clutch in and immediately back out- the input shaft doesn't have any time to slow down, so when the clutch re-engages, the input shaft (and clutch disk) are already spinning, so you hear no noise aside from clutch movement.

Test 2: Clutch in and wait 5-10 sec- input shaft slows to a stop
Clutch out- clutch disk engages and the input shaft jerks into rotation with the engine and you hear a faint clunk.

Test 3: Clutch in and wait 5-10 sec- input shaft slows to a stop
Clutch out gently (feather engagement) the clutch disk and input shaft are brought up to speed slowly, and you should hear nothing because there's no sudden acceleration on the input shaft.

Test 3- repeat Test 1 and 2 and 3 with the engine off and parked. You will hear no clunk, because nothing is spinning.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
enjoyminutemaid (07-31-2014), Gords_zenith (04-02-2014), JB86'd (01-19-2015), Ultramaroon (10-18-2016)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #45
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I did some more experimentation, and I'm certain it's the input shaft making the noise (or the oil drag on the input shaft causing the gears to make the noise). Either way, it's not a problem.

Here's a few repeatable tests for anyone interested in verifying this for themselves. If you understand how a transmission works, it makes a million times more sense.

Test 1: Clutch in and immediately back out- the input shaft doesn't have any time to slow down, so when the clutch re-engages, the input shaft (and clutch disk) are already spinning, so you hear no noise aside from clutch movement.

Test 2: Clutch in and wait 5-10 sec- input shaft slows to a stop
Clutch out- clutch disk engages and the input shaft jerks into rotation with the engine and you hear a faint clunk.

Test 3: Clutch in and wait 5-10 sec- input shaft slows to a stop
Clutch out gently (feather engagement) the clutch disk and input shaft are brought up to speed slowly, and you should hear nothing because there's no sudden acceleration on the input shaft.

Test 3- repeat Test 1 and 2 and 3 with the engine off and parked. You will hear no clunk, because nothing is spinning.

I agree that I have no clunking when the engine is off, however I still hear a clunk when I do a feather release.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #46
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
clutch Engagement Issue?

I've had this for 25k miles now. When car got check before, the mechanic says it could be the clutch plate. They just told me to monitor it. I just lived with it up until then. So far everything is fine. Hopefully it will be gone after the time it will be change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 AM   #47
Paiser

Drives: Scion FR-S Monogram (Whiteout)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I noticed in the video that the idle was high, to me that meant that you just started it up from either cold conditions or where you live is generally is cold or its the first start of the day for your car. Any ways that sound is definitely not normal, and as a mechanic you should know that its not a normal sound, and clutch does not engage with a clunk sound like that in the video that was posted. What it actually sounds like is that the clutch was not bolted in properly and take it back to the dealer and tell them re-torque the clutch bolts and the fly-wheel bolts, because thats what it really sounds like LOOSE FLY-WHEEL or CLUTCH or BOTH
Paiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #48
Paiser

Drives: Scion FR-S Monogram (Whiteout)
I'm going to post again because my first reply was first initial feed on the video and not going over everyone else's post, and what it sounds like is that this is a 2013 FR-S problem. Luckily I bought a 2014 Monogram and know its a 2014 model and not re-badged 2013 to 2014 because its a monogram so its more likely that I won't see 2013 issue. The point of this is that my 2014 does not make that sound bud
For me I'm noticing 2014 problem that might be engaging gears sometime is an issue because I think either I'm not pushing the clutch enough in so I grind my gears or the transmission fluid is low because of cold weather conditions so the condensity of the fluid is more compact in colder weather.
Paiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #49
GhostGo

Drives: FRS
what if I have a slight clunk when engine's off....
GhostGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #50
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGo View Post
what if I have a slight clunk when engine's off....
You might just be hearing the clutch movement. You're still separating the plates when you depress the pedal, even though the engine is not running.

Another clunk has been found to be caused by the clutch pedal hinge brackets inside the cabin against the firewall. It's apparently more of a slight "pop" sound.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (01-19-2015), Ultramaroon (10-18-2016)
Old 11-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #51
FT86Hypnotic

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Hot Lava
I know this is reopening a thread from a while ago but I am having this issue after changing some of the suspension bushings in the car. If changing the fluid is recommended what have you guys ran in order to help out with reducing the noise and was there anything actually figured out as to what causes this issue? Should i just buy a new clutch and flywheel?
FT86Hypnotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #52
Jehuty77

Drives: AE86
My car makes the same noise as this video here

They just called me to inform me they believe its the clutch springs and the solution is to replace the entire clutch assembly. I'm not entirely sure their correct considering how many different people have this issue with differing causes, what i've read mostly indicates throw out bearing.

When i asked them if its covered under warranty, they informed me clutch is a "wear" item.

Did anyone who has had this issue get it fixed?
Jehuty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #53
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post

They just called me to inform me they believe its the clutch springs and the solution is to replace the entire clutch assembly. I'm not entirely sure their correct considering how many different people have this issue with differing causes, what i've read mostly indicates throw out bearing.

When i asked them if its covered under warranty, they informed me clutch is a "wear" item.

Could be as simple as lubricating the clutch fork.

humfrz - has a simple solution for most things and it's usually wrong .....
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #54
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post

I've read of a few instances of the clutch disc grenading allegedly because of manufacturing defects; specifically, improperly installed/failed rivets. If yours sounds as loud as the vid, yeah, get it looked at before it fails catastrophically.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edit: I'm changing my tune on listening to the clip more carefully. I'll also admit to not reading the whole thread. @wheelhaus was on point. Normal operation.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 10-18-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #55
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
There's a noticeable clunk when putting the tranny in 1st or 2nd at low speeds/stopped. It's been commented on before as simply the momentum of a moving part coming to a sudden stop. I'm not sure of the terms or specific parts as I'm actually not very knowledgeable about how transmissions work but after reading the explanation I was able to visualize what was occurring. It causes not damage and I'm not worried about it. As a matter of fact I actually find it somewhat reassuring to hear/feel the gear engage.

This may not be what you are experiencing. I don't think I've felt or heard this when the vehicle is really moving.
i have that clunk too. if you make sure you hold the clutch down for like 2 seconds before putting it in gear, there won't be any clunks.
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #56
TheeMajesticEagle

Drives: WRB BRZ, 20AE GTI, m50 e30
Digging up an old thread but does anyone know what the culprit of this is? Just got a 13 brz and it clunks everytime I let the clutch pedal out, regardless if I hold it in for 10 seconds or so
TheeMajesticEagle is offline   Reply With Quote