follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin owners...

Hi guys, I recently fitted a Perrin 2.5" resonated catback to my GT86 and I have to say I'm really pleased it, sounds great, no drone, just a nice deep rumble and I can barely hear it on the motorway, however I can't help but feel its incomplete and would benefit from the catted front pipe too. My question is will it be much louder? Is there anybody who went from just the catback to the full system (header or overpipe back)? I know the Perrin system in general is pretty quiet compared to others on the market but I'm concerned at how much louder it will be.

If it makes minimal difference (sound wise) then I plan to have a tune along with the cosworth panel filter thats fitted to get the most out of the setup.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Jtbirchfield

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just got a Invidia 2.5" catless front pipe and bolted it up to my 3 inch resonated Perrin cat back. It sounds amazing and isn't much louder. No drone when cruising on highway either. I recorded it on my iPhone so the quality isn't the best. MUCH deeper in person.

[ame="http://youtu.be/CZ19mEhGNLE"]http://youtu.be/CZ19mEhGNLE[/ame]
Jtbirchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jtbirchfield For This Useful Post:
Readytoxplod (09-11-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you're going to get a header it's going to be loud with a catless front pipe.
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I went from the 3 inch cat back to the over pipe and 3 inch front pipe (which they don't make any more) and a UEL header. Fucking loud doesn't even begin to describe it. Now it has a dual resonated and catted 3inch front pipe. It's still damn loud but quieter than before. I'm toying around with having the Perrin resonator in the mid pipe replaced with a muffler to tone it down but keep the flow.

If I were to do everything over I'd go with a header, and 2.5inch header back. Preferably a large resonator and a cat in the front pipe.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
My car got much louder going from Perrin CBE to a full headerback system (JDL catless UEL header, JDL OP, catted/NR front pipe, Perrin resonated CBE).

I'm currently running just a catted/NR front pipe and Perrin resonated CBE. I miss the UEL rumble and top-end pull, but my wife still thinks it's loud as is, so I'm stuck.

If I were you, I'd go with a catless header first if you want gains and more sound.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
Varelco

Thanks for the input guys. I think I need to reiterate my first post, I dont want it to be any louder reallu, I had no intention on going catless or replacing the header. The stock header will stay, its just replacing the front pipe with Perrin's catted one. If its going to be dramatically louder then I will leave the stock one on, I didnt think it would make much of a difference, the resonator on the front pipe is tiny and the cat would be just a highly flowing one.

EDIT: Or am I misunderstanding that I'd benefit the most from changing the header rather than front pipe?

Last edited by Varelco; 09-09-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
EzyBrzy

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
From what I understand, you get the most gains from a header. Well bolt-on wise. I've heard the FP is a little restrictive but you won't get much power from changing it out. If you're looking for more HP, then there is nothing else besides FI and flex fuel.
EzyBrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I think I need to reiterate my first post, I dont want it to be any louder reallu, I had no intention on going catless or replacing the header. The stock header will stay, its just replacing the front pipe with Perrin's catted one. If its going to be dramatically louder then I will leave the stock one on, I didnt think it would make much of a difference, the resonator on the front pipe is tiny and the cat would be just a highly flowing one.

EDIT: Or am I misunderstanding that I'd benefit the most from changing the header rather than front pipe?
have a read of the Basic bolt on Mods guide link below.

Perrin's are great catbacks by themselves, but combined with catless header and catless frontpipe its going to be loud.

If you want to add catless headers and frontpipe/overpipe for max power then put your stock catback back on. It will be quiet and you can sell perrin catback.

with the catless headers ect stock catback will be louder than stock (but likely as quiet as perrin is now) but not ear bleading loud like perrin will be with catless header and hi flow front pipe, their is virtually no power in catbacks its just sound
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
cat back might add 5hp as does a manifold. Front pipe generally adds less.

People go on about 20WHP gained with a manifold and tune, but forget that just a tune would have added 15WHP in the first place.

Cat back also adds about 20WHP with a tune over stock.

JDL do an ultra quiet front pipe with a big resonator which shouldnt add much noise.

https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...et-front-pipe/
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
A header without cats+op+catted fp+perrin cbe= Super duper loud and a tad raspy/droney. Same setup with the HKS dual resonated FP=Still loud but not obnoxious. Sounds amazing outside of the car, a bit tedious at constant RPM such as interstate driving.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post

Yeah most of the gains are going to come from deleting the primary cat and going with a header. The problem is how much sound it adds. Probably best to start there and pair it with the stock exhaust for the most gains with the least sound.

That said, catted/NR FP + Perrin resonated CBE isn't too loud. Still very smooth, but moderately loud when you get on the throttle. Go for it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Varelco

Ok I understand, interesting to find out that the catback doesn't really do much for power in general. It looks like I should of started with the front first. So if I went with a catless header and front pipe but kept the catback stock I could achieve a similar sound level but potentially release more bhp than the other way round?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Correct. In general, to increase bhp mod closer to the engine. Header, over pipe, front pipe.

Going full catless will give you a raspy exhaust note also.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #14
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I like that A few old timers have contributed to this thread.