follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #43
pillbox

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
Anyone spending $30k to mod this car is
1) an utterly clueless moron
2) has never been on a track (does not even know what driving fast means)
3) is stupid with money
4) belongs in a Mustang
5) All of the above

Learn to drive the car before you go broke ruining it.

Here's some reading
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130121
I hope you're trolling
pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #44
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Not really. If you can really afford mods over time, you can finance a more expensive car and afford higher monthly payments over time.

Furthermore, a vehicle that costs $30K to buy and $30K more to build is significantly more financially risky than an unmodded $60K car. If someone hits your highly modified cheap car, it's more likely to be totaled. You're not going to get $60K from the insurance company, and the value of the work you put into it will simply vanish.

A $60K car would be much less likely to be totaled out, since the cost of repairs would total to a smaller percentage of the value of the vehicle. So you're more likely to get your car back whole, lose less money out of pocket and not have to start all over.
Agree with the totaling scenario but in that case there will be parts that I can salvage and sell. It's also a game of calculated risk and probability. Furthermore, I can choose to buy a mod every month or go a whole year without modding anything, depending on my budget, whereas I will be forced to make those payments every month no matter what if I'm financing a more expensive car.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #45
ChRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ SP
Couldn't agree more with #6.
This a great discussion, but the main point is that you mod cars because it's fun, and you're probably a tinkerer/engineer type.
If you are just after getting a faster car then yeah, you might complain about having to spend all the money to upgrade this car.
If that's you, then really you're just pissed because you can't afford to buy something that meets your baseline level of performance.
Upgrading a cheap car is like getting an extra interest-free loan on a bunch of upgrades that you can do whenever it's convenient for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
To all those saying "instead of modding, buy X car", there are a few considerations:

1. the financial impact of buying an expensive car outright is quite a bit more noticeable than gradually modding a cheaper car.

2. a more expensive car is usually not a great proposition for daily drivers. I drive my car in the winter, through ice and snow

3. Some people don't have money for a second car

4. Some people don't have space for a second car (crammed driveway/live in a condo and only have 1 parking spot and another one costs 50-75K)

5. Some people would still mod that more expensive car and mods for more expensive cars are umm... more expensive.

6. Modding a fairly basic car into something that's a bit more serious is extremely gratifying. Like watching a child grow from something that's babbling and stupid to an intelligent individual.

7. A more expensive car usually drinks more gas and insurance is more expensive, not to mention servicing costs

8. I think it's safe to say that if there was ever a car created with the mod market in mind, it's this one
ChRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChRZ For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #46
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Just buy an Alpha 4C.
speaking as someone who has driven a 4c , i still chose the brz.

floppy paddles and auto-rev-matching is no match for the glee that i get out of a clutch pedal and perfecting a manual rev-match.
extrashaky (01-08-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #47
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
speaking as someone who has driven a 4c , i still chose the brz.

floppy paddles and auto-rev-matching is no match for the glee that i get out of a clutch pedal and perfecting a manual rev-match.
Good to know
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #48
jrb363

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
you can always just keep it stock......
This is exactly what I'm doing. Recently picked up my first FR-S (2015, dark grey, manual, 51k mi, 3rd owner)

I got lucky since, in my area, most were either previously wrecked, clearly ridden hard or modified in some way. Finding a clean manual with under 50k miles and under $18k took me nearly a year and having to drive across the state...but I got it and am in love.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrb363 For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #49
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
I have a better idea.
Go buy a tricycle and spend $60k to mod that to your satisfaction.

The saddest part of all this is that rice modders don't even have the driving ability to harness what the stock car can do. Get a Mustang, people !
I don't think you belong on this forum if modding this platform (or any platform) offends you lmao.

You sound like a fickle man.
Drakiv (01-07-2019), weederr33 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #50
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post
As a two year owner who loves his 86 I sometimes think that people really miss the intent of this car as built by Subaru and largely designed and thought out by Toyota. It is a affordable sporty fun to drive 4 cylinder that gets good gas mileage. A throwback to the Toyota Celica's and Corollas of the early to mid 1980's. In those terms it is great. If you intend to spend 50-60K on it total I would have started with a different car but it is a free country (as of now ) so do as you wish.

22R
This.

But don't sign your posts :P
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #51
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
or $50k.........*cough*

purpose built racecars aren't cheap.....or at least quality ones aren't cheap. And for the small handful that are crying about how people who spend that much belong in a different car or are stupid blah blah blah, cry more. Don't get mad at me because I chose to stick with the FA20 to breach the 600 RWHP club. I could have easily spent mcuh less just throwing an LS into it and swapping the trans, but I didn't want to throw the balance off and I wanted big power as a goal. Eveyone has the freedom to spend their money the way they wish, granted we all have different opinions on if that way is smart or not. It's still just your opinion.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #52
AD55

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Another thing to consider is how long you intend to keep the car. I can almost guarantee you will never even get close to recovering the cost of the mods if you decide to sell it. The odds are slim to none that you will even find a buyer looking for a car with the exact same upgrades, much less give you what you are asking.

If you are thinking you might trade it for something new, you can probably forget about that altogether. Unless they have a particular buyer already lined up, most new car dealers would likely not want the car at any price. The vast majority of people shopping for a used car on their lots are just not interested in buying one that has been heavily modified. Most are just looking for something with relatively low miles that costs less than buying one new. I know in my own case that was exactly the criteria I used when I bought my 2014 BRZ.

That all being said. If there is little or no chance the money you spend is going to take the food off your table or the roof over your head, then by all means spend what ever it takes to modify the car to your liking and then drive the wheels off it. Just remember there is little chance you will recoup even a small amount of what you have invested.
AD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #53
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This car is thre cheapest of my hobbies.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-08-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #54
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How to tell if your car needs more HP
1) Go to track with your unmodded car

2) Use stopwatch and record a few lap times.

3) Have an instructor do a lap.

4) If your time is equal or faster, then add HP
Otherwise, your car doesn’t need horsepower.
It needs the driver mod.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #55
ndsleep612

Drives: Thee Argento Cricket
Driving fast in a car on a track requires lots of skills acquired from practice. The parts modification do help, but if you can't drive, you won't know how to work your car.

Driving fast on the street is reckless and stupid. Leave that for the guys looking to enhance their jail record.

Take your car to autocross. You must understand how to handle your OWN car to get an idea of what needs to be done.

I would prefer handling and suspension over power any day on the race track.
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #56
Mr Breeze

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2018 Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
cars don't ruin anything. we do it to ourselves.

i've got a wishlist with ITB's on it... the car doesn't need it. i don't need it. but i sure want it!
Those Greddy ITB's keep calling out to me, must resist!
Mr Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Breeze For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-21-2020)