follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Whoodoo

Drives: '15 BRZ, Vortech supercharger
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forced induction's affect on the nature of the 86

I just wanted to share my opinion on how forced induction affects the nature of the car. Last weekend I took the car around Watkins Glen as part of their thunder road tour. It was three laps behind a pace car, no passing allowed, but I was able to open it up through a few sections and really got a good feel for the car on the limit. Let me preface this by saying I haven't done the same in a N/A car, but I think the car really needs the extra power. It has so much going for it chassis-wise already, but the extra torque you get from FI makes the car feel so more grown up.

I know there are a lot of people out there that say you'll blow up your engine if you put forced induction on it, but i think there is definitely a right way to do it. Not too much psi, especially at lower RPM, and supporting mods like a catch can will help keep the engine internals happy. Honestly, the car doesn't need a whole lot more power to really liven it up, but a little bump is exactly what the car needs.

If you are on the fence about getting forced induction, go for it already!
Whoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Changing the nature of the engine is a big deal to some. Like how the NA Caymans and Carreras are now smaller displacement FI engines, and for the Cayman with two less cylinders, some will cry foul, even if performance has improved. The current Cayman S is faster than the previous gen GT4, yet no one cares. Many miss their NA flat six. They miss ringing out the power, being forced to wind up the engine, to hold the engine in high revs to keep it in power and maintain momentum.

I’ve gone FI for a number of reasons, but there is an argument not to go FI too, and for many, especially those not needing track, straight-away acceleration, who just want enough power to enjoy on the street, who want the challenge of ringing out all that a car has to offer, pushing it to its limits, the twins have enough power, and the engine’s characteristics are part of the enjoyment.
JazzleSAURUS (06-26-2018), lantsalot (06-26-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Having been in both places I felt with FI I had a self imposed restriction on how hard I pushed my car. Out of fear of going pop. As NA I love wringing it out for power. Both are fun though.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
I must say I was surprised at how good the throttle response is. I was expecting some turbo lag but it wasn't there. I guess the fact the 12.5:1 2 litre limits you to a small and easily spooled turbo and that the static compression stays a high 12.5:1 at low rpms both really help.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Whoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Having been in both places I felt with FI I had a self imposed restriction on how hard I pushed my car. Out of fear of going pop. As NA I love wringing it out for power.
That's a good point. I have owned cars that are easy to get to their limit and one can get a lot of satisfaction from keeping it there. I do tend to leave the traction control on because it keeps me from being too much of an idiot on public roads. I imagine I wouldn't be so apt leave the TC on without the supercharger.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Changing the nature of the engine is a big deal to some. Like how the NA Caymans and Carreras are now smaller displacement FI engines, and for the Cayman with two less cylinders, some will cry foul, even if performance has improved. The current Cayman S is faster than the previous gen GT4, yet no one cares. Many miss their NA flat six. They miss ringing out the power, being forced to wind up the engine, to hold the engine in high revs to keep it in power and maintain momentum.

I’ve gone FI for a number of reasons, but there is an argument not to go FI too, and for many, especially those not needing track, straight-away acceleration, who just want enough power to enjoy on the street, who want the challenge of ringing out all that a car has to offer, pushing it to its limits, the twins have enough power, and the engine’s characteristics are part of the enjoyment.
*wringing

But, yeah... this car needs more power and boost is the cost effective, smart answer.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
Whoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
this car needs more power
I’m not necessarily saying it *needs* more power... more like the whole platform is just *begging* for it. All of the dynamics are there and the engine can take a few pounds of boost no problem. For the price/effort/pay-off I think people should seriously consider it.

I met up with a forum member a little while back who had a series.yellow that was pretty much a track toy. I ‘forced’ him to take my car for a quick spin and I could tell he saw the light. If you can swing the financial end of it, I don’t think there is any better mod out there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whoodoo For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-26-2018), Summerwolf (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Having been in both places I felt with FI I had a self imposed restriction on how hard I pushed my car. Out of fear of going pop. As NA I love wringing it out for power. Both are fun though.
This. I've nearly gone FI a couple of times, but I enjoy being able to really wring the car's neck without worrying about the motor going... or getting arrested

There *are* times where the extra power would be fun, like moving through interstate traffic a bit easier. But in general it gets around just fine, and on the back-roads driving (most of what I do) I find I rarely can be pedal down for very long before I'm at illegal speeds, even NA (just header & tune basically) - so I'd really be frustrated with any more power. YMMV - on track if you're experienced and competing with some 'big boys' you'll certainly want more, just depends on where you are, what you do, and how much you're willing to risk/spend.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I think it depends on how and how much boosted. Since low rpm torque is not that high, I can say after thousands of miles that my JRSC engine with CARB tune is totally fine with wringing out for power from a reliability perspective. But, using the full power on public roads is reckless behavior given that car reaches unacceptable speeds above legal limits so quickly now.

If one wants to keep the nature of 86, I think a centrifugal/Rotrex supercharger is the best method to go FI. I still need to rev up to extract the power. It just gives linearly more power (and torque) as I rev up. It is the same car for me, just magnified. At low rpm, driving experience is closer to stock. Some want quicker throttle response (or low rpm torque) then twin-screw or turbo is what they want. But that changes the nature of 86 closer to a muscle car and increases the risk of engine fail.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Apoc (01-10-2019), BigFatFlip (06-26-2018), CSG Mike (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FI affects the nature of 86, because you 'll drive it in general differently. Not that much of revving the engine, switching to correct gear etc.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
FI affects the nature of 86, because you 'll drive it in general differently. Not that much of revving the engine, switching to correct gear etc.
How will FI make me rev less, or use the wrong gear?

That sounds like a driver error, not a FI problem.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (06-26-2018), tomm.brz (06-26-2018), weederr33 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have it in my head that everything would just come quicker.

Shifting gears, reaching certain speeds, powering out of corners, etc.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I have it in my head that everything would just come quicker.

Shifting gears, reaching certain speeds, powering out of corners, etc.
Because it will! Trust me, I know everything about FI

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The platform definitely needs more power. That said, and just to offer a slightly different perspective, I have bought TWO WRX's (a 2015 and a 2018), and I'm glad Subaru did not put that engine into the BRZ. While more power would be great, there are so many issues with the tuning that engine that I have no doubt it actually would make the car worse. I do hope I find a centrifugal blower and pro tune in my future...
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmxr For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (06-26-2018)