follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #183
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P@ul View Post
This is blasphemy, you take that BACK! http://www.homercar.com/
Wow...Thank you for sharing. That...is....awesome!

Also, so is the PorcuBimmer at the bottom. I wouldn't get too close to that car!

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #184
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Yes, if you don't care about safety and are focused on weight reduction I suppose you could rip out airbags, delete the backseat, etc and get the weight down on our cars.
If that was the case I don't think you'd get an 86 at all... Kit cars ftw

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #185
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Its 2013, the sedan market is competitive today.
I edited my post above to address that, but you must have quoted it before I did. A 200hp, 3klb sedan version would have a better power to weight ratio than an A4 or a 320i, and would be pretty close to a 328i. Even in today's sedan market, it really wouldn't be anywhere close to underpowered. That having been said, they'd probably want to rethink the gearing a bit on the auto - the current gearing is a bit too tall for a 3klb sedan (arguably, it's a bit too tall for the coupe even - it would feel significantly faster with shorter gears)
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #186
lemonspeakers

Drives: blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All I see is Camry all over this 4-door sedan. Their aesthetics blend too much. It's a nice car, but I can't help but to be reminded of a Camry.
lemonspeakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #187
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonspeakers View Post
All I see is Camry all over this 4-door sedan. Their aesthetics blend too much. It's a nice car, but I can't help but to be reminded of a Camry.
How is that different from the coupe? I usually get a ton of shit for it but I don't think the aesthetics of the 86 stand out very much.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #188
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Adding 4 more inches of leg room by lengthening the wheelbase will do the trick. It will still be fairly tight but closer to a sub-compact such as a Yaris rather than the current Mini.

If they add a hatch, I'll be on a waiting list. 2 doors is enough for me though. My ancestors did fine with 2 doors and proper backseats.

Name:  bluesubhatch.jpg
Views: 4147
Size:  264.3 KB
Name:  hatchback GT86 by ichitaka05.jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  61.5 KB
Name:  liftback by ichitaka05.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  90.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #189
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Adding 4 more inches of leg room by lengthening the wheelbase will do the trick. It will still be fairly tight but closer to a sub-compact such as a Yaris rather than the current Mini.

If they add a hatch, I'll be on a waiting list. 2 doors is enough for me though. My ancestors did fine with 2 doors and proper backseats.

I always thought the 2+2 gave these cars too much wheelbase. A tiny 2 seater hatch with 100mm shorter wheelbase would be awesome imo.

As far as weight whether we like it or not comparisons will be made to 80s cars, this is supposed to be a modern AE86. My 2009 Yaris is 2300 lbs and the 2005 MR2 was even lighter...

It would be cool if they made a tossable tiny lightweight hatch out of this platform. even if they could shave 150 lbs it would be a huge improvement. If not: turbo!

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #190
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I always thought the 2+2 gave these cars too much wheelbase. A tiny 2 seater hatch with 100mm shorter wheelbase would be awesome imo.

As far as weight whether we like it or not comparisons will be made to 80s cars, this is supposed to be a modern AE86. My 2009 Yaris is 2300 lbs and the 2005 MR2 was even lighter...

It would be cool if they made a tossable tiny lightweight hatch out of this platform. even if they could shave 150 lbs it would be a huge improvement. If not: turbo!
I hear you. There were rumors of just such a vehicle 3 years ago. They called it a Baby FT-86 and it was going to be closer to the $20k mark. It is supposedly still in the works. I never heard whether it was going to be a roadster or a coupe though. The prototype was based on a Daihatsu hatch but they showed a Roadster at TAS.

Here's one of the latest rumors on it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28508

Quote:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #191
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonspeakers View Post

Oddly enough, I considered that if I ever grey-market imported my Chaser to the States, I'd slap a Camry badge on it to confuse street racers and any curious customs officers.

1997 Camry with body kit:

JZX100 Chaser Tourer V:

Very similar looking Toyota sedans....worlds apart in performance and sportiness. As for "people want sedans for comfort. Comfort = weight." Not necessarily true. Some people want sedans to have the *space* to physically fit more people and stuff without the unattractive (IMO) hatchback body style. That doesn't mean we want leather everywhere and power seats that massage your ass cheeks. My 1997 Evo IV (in my avatar pic) was a sedan but I'd argue it's even more spartan than the FR-S.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noble713 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (10-19-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #192
edboc

Drives: 1999 10AE MX-5, 2010 CX-9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fate of the Sedan may be in the hands of Subaru.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/fate-of-...om-subaru.html
edboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #193
Allch Chcar

It's always better to go to the original source of the rumor. A few rumors started here before they went full circle and ended up being posted here from another source as "confirmed." Not that this is anything but a rumor.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/scio...b-in-2015.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
Scion has been "pushing hard for a sedan variant of the FR-S, but Subaru has been dragging its heels on it," said a source who asked not to be identified. Subaru's version of the coupe is the BRZ.
As for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlanenews
A small, affordable sport sedan could help Scion build off the momentum created by the FR-S, but it’s possible that Subaru is worried about cannibalizing sales of the WRX, which is similar in size, price and mission to the proposed four-door, with its own version.
I don't buy this suggestion at all. The WRX is a class bigger, better optioned, more powerful, faster, and come with AWD. I have seen a few people cross shop them, but in the end they are distinct enough to not directly compete.

I mean just look at them side-by-side!
Name:  YMllZ.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  118.2 KB
@Spaceywilly

Quote:
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #194
jcblown13

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
It's always better to go to the original source of the rumor. A few rumors started here before they went full circle and ended up being posted here from another source as "confirmed." Not that this is anything but a rumor.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/scio...b-in-2015.html

As for this:

I don't buy this suggestion at all. The WRX is a class bigger, better optioned, more powerful, faster, and come with AWD. I have seen a few people cross shop them, but in the end they are distinct enough to not directly compete.

I mean just look at them side-by-side!
Attachment 54636
@Spaceywilly

Blah Blah Blah. This is all a fluff to get you guys to respond. The FR-S/BRZ is a sports coupe. Not a sedan. There won't be a 4 door corvette. There won't be a 4 door Camaro. There won't be a 4 door FR-s/BRZ. Porsche made their mistake. You like the Impreza with fancy name badge and AWD, fine. Not all of us live in a snow state. This car is not that.
jcblown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #195
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblown13 View Post
Porsche made their mistake.
I was with you up until this point, the Panamera is doing quite well, outselling Boxsters and Caymans so far this year and for some months outselling it's Audi and BMW competition (A8 & 7 series). And I don't think I need to mention that the Cayenne is Porsche's best selling and most profitable model.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

There are many worse business decisions to make besides turning a successful platform into another vehicle with broader appeal. Just like that Camaro you mentioned shares a platform with the Chevy Caprice and soon to be Chevy SS as well as the old Pontiac G8 (Zeta platform if you want to look it up), Corvette platform was indeed only used for the Corvette and the Cadillac XLR, at least if you count the last 30 years, before that it shared a lot with Chevy's sportier sedans like the Skylark.

Edit: Besides this car started development as a modified Impreza, it's not like this idea is sacrilegious, plenty of Genesis owners aren't as bitter as some of the guys around here are.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (10-18-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #196
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblown13 View Post
Blah Blah Blah. This is all a fluff to get you guys to respond. The FR-S/BRZ is a sports coupe. Not a sedan. There won't be a 4 door corvette. There won't be a 4 door Camaro. There won't be a 4 door FR-s/BRZ. Porsche made their mistake. You like the Impreza with fancy name badge and AWD, fine. Not all of us live in a snow state. This car is not that.
Actually the new Camaro will share the same platform as the caddy ATS. Look at the 370z it shares the same platform as the Infinity. Thers a 4 door Genesis platform.

Ours is just unique in it was sports car chassis first rather than the other way around.

But Subaru does hold all the cards in this. I mean the WRX is just not going to lose sales to this sedan, to most buyers the WrX is superior in everything but an occasional curvy road . So Subaru doesn't need this sedan at all.

Only thing Subaru needs it to get out from under Toyotas thumb so they can sell the BRZ with their FA20T.

So there may be a deal struck where Toyota gets the Sedan and Subaru gets the coupe.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote