follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #39803
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Changed my avatar to "Confuse a Tcoat"
This was the back of my name tag at a kite conference in '97.
Matsutani Hideo san illustrated it (Japanese living treasure)
I was his driver for the weekend along with his grandson who had some english.
Hope he wasn't calling me a wanker

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzi3k7K0lFA"]Confuse-A-Cat ~ Monty Python's Flying Circus - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by bcj; 02-07-2018 at 08:08 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-07-2018), krayzie (02-07-2018), Tcoat (02-07-2018), Ultramaroon (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #39804
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Everytime I watch Monty Python it reminds me of Madness.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUhSuI_8lU"]Madness - The Return of The Los Palmas 7 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #39805
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Good thing it happened in Alberta.

Either way though, @Clipdat, I doubt it matters. Care and control of the vehicle (for example, passed out inside the vehicle with the keys in reach) is what matters in the end.
Pretty much the same applies anyway.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #39806
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Changed my avatar to "Confuse a Tcoat"
This was the back of my name tag at a kite conference in '97.
Matsutani Hideo san illustrated it (Japanese living treasure)
I was his driver for the weekend along with his grandson who had some english.
Hope he wasn't calling me a wanker

That actually is a striking image of you.
bcj (02-10-2018), Ultramaroon (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #39807
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
IDK about Canadian law, but in the US it is legal to drink and drive on private property. (given it is your property or you have permission)

It is also legal to sleep in your car. But not with the keys in the ignition. And here is where it gets confusing: If they feel you have intent to drive and are in possession of the keys, they can arrest you. Even if you are just walking to your car. NOT COOL!
Not legal anywhere here. Although they did recently change the law to remove impaired operation of a canoe from the list of charges. I am not joking.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...riving-offence
finch1750 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #39808
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
The reason why they have sleeping in the car while drunk in the law I believe is say you were drunk driving but you ended up passed out pulled over on the side with the car still running or crashed and passed out while drunk or any other number of cases similar to that. It allows law enforcement officers to legally arrest and charge suspects with a DUI.

That's the law. But all laws are enforced by an officer and it's up to the officer's discretion really at the end of the day. The officer could have let him go with a warning, put him in a drunk tank for the night, or anything else. It's only a charge so far and not a sentencing. Anything can happen in trial.
The laws are different in different places, there isn't one single law. The law here is not drunk driving but impaired care and control. He had care and control of the vehicle no matter where he was or what he was actually doing. Law enforcement officers (in Ontario at least) do not have any leeway when it comes to these charges. If they suspect impaired they MUST test and charge. They will lose their jobs if they just warn and walk away.
Yes, in this case it seems unfair but what if the guy wakes up, feels fine even though still impaired and drives away to kill somebody? If impaired here just do not have care and control of the vehicle.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #39809
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The laws are different in different places, there isn't one single law. The law here is not drunk driving but impaired care and control. He had care and control of the vehicle no matter where he was or what he was actually doing. Law enforcement officers (in Ontario at least) do not have any leeway when it comes to these charges. If they suspect impaired they MUST test and charge. They will lose their jobs if they just warn and walk away.
Yes, in this case it seems unfair but what if the guy wakes up, feels fine even though still impaired and drives away to kill somebody? If impaired here just do not have care and control of the vehicle.
I'm sorry but regardless of how the bureaucracy came to the idea that it is good to punish someone for trying to wait and sober-up it is still wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #39810
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I mean generally if the keys are on your person and you're sleeping in the driver's seat it's a DUI. But say you left the keys in the trunk or you slept in the passenger seat/rear seats would that still be considered impaired care and control in Canada?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #39811
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
I mean generally if the keys are on your person and you're sleeping in the driver's seat it's a DUI. But say you left the keys in the trunk or you slept in the passenger seat/rear seats would that still be considered impaired care and control in Canada?
Think the keys need to be elsewhere.
@p1l0t, here's a fun story, and it's a short one.

After a long day of work this summer, we decided to sit on the tailgate of our trucks and knock back a few beers in the hotel parking lot, since it was a beautiful day out. We were about 4 beers deep into our relaxing evening, when a fine member of the Ontario Provincial Police who was also staying at the hotel approached us. Here is what happened:

Officer- Now I know you guys aren't having beers outside
Me- (under the assumption that the officer is just pulling our leg) Of course sir, it's a beautiful evening and we're having a nice time shooting the breeze
Officer- In that case, clear out before I start writing tickets
Me- Seriously? Isn't this private property? What would the ticket be for?
Officer- Drinking in public, and don't play stupid with me. It doesn't matter if this is private property, you're still drinking in public. Also, are those the keys to the truck on the tailgate? You better get a move on unless you want this to get a whole lot worse for you.

So, ultimately, the cop decided to flex his power on us. Luckily though, no tickets were written, but he did strongly suggest that a care and control thing was going to happen. And, to add to the "WTF" of that situation, we weren't being loud, we weren't swearing, we weren't disturbing anyone, we didn't have empties laying around.

Man, some cops suck. But, that's in stark contrast to almost the exact same situation at the exact same hotel, but the year before when an OPP officer came up to us and said almost the exact same thing, but made a joke out of it and said "enjoy your night, but don't be too loud"
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #39812
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I'm sorry but regardless of how the bureaucracy came to the idea that it is good to punish someone for trying to wait and sober-up it is still wrong.

The judge may see it that way and be lenient. The officer has no choice but to assume that the guy could have woke up and drove away in five more minutes. Drunks, even those "sleeping it off", are not renowned for good decision making. As a pilot you should know that it can take up to 12 hours to sober up enough to drive. I doubt anybody sleeps it off that long. The right thing to do is to get a safe ride home and come back for the vehicle later. There is nor other reasonable alternative.
Cole (02-07-2018), new2subaru (02-07-2018), p1l0t (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #39813
Tcoat

Quote:
Think the keys need to be elsewhere.
Yes. They must not be accessible to the driver at all. As I just said above drunks don't make good calls and if they can pop the trunk and grab the keys then they just may.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #39814
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
The judge may see it that way and be lenient. The officer has no choice but to assume that the guy could have woke up and drove away in five more minutes. Drunks, even those "sleeping it off", are not renowned for good decision making. As a pilot you should know that it can take up to 12 hours to sober up enough to drive. I doubt anybody sleeps it off that long. The right thing to do is to get a safe ride home and come back for the vehicle later. There is nor other reasonable alternative.
True, the right decision is to call a cab (uber lyft whatever) or a friend. Still, charging someone with a D.U.I. which stands for DRIVING While Intoxicated is inappropriate. I'm not blaming the Officers necessarily if that's how they are told to deal with it but it certainly seems like a prime example of this sort thing needs to handled with more discretion.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #39815
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
True, the right decision is to call a cab (uber lyft whatever) or a friend. Still, charging someone with a D.U.I. which stands for DRIVING While Intoxicated is inappropriate. I'm not blaming the Officers necessarily if that's how they are told to deal with it but it certainly seems like a prime example of this sort thing needs to handled with more discretion.

That's what happens when laws take away a police officer's greatest tool, which is discretion.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #39816
Tcoat

Quote:

Quote:
That's what happens when laws take away a police officer's greatest tool, which is discretion.
This is not the police officers fault and discretion to walk away from a drunk who could then drive is bad at the best of times. The judge will use discretion when hearing the case and will no doubt take the fact that he was not actually driving into account.
Now it looks like Alberta at least may agree that the automatic charges are not "fair" so in this case he may end up just fine.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ence-1.4468021

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis