follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #827
neilvosko

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
one more thing, saw this thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42927

and http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=81839&page=15
post 198

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2234058

and i got the CEL after i engaged the cruise control
neilvosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #828
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post

remove the spacer you don't need it.

check for leaks

make sure the 02 sensor with GREY plug is the first 02 sensor ie before cat and the black plug one is after cat.

edit the stage 1 tune with romraider and disable the P0420 CEL or try the stage 2 tune, but check for knock
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #829
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I recently installed the Crawford BPB intake manifold spacers. I got them from another user, and he didn't have the little plaque that allows you to install the third (lower) bolt on the Denso fueling ECU. Some people said that it would cause a grounding issue, and the car wouldn't start, but i tried it without the plaque and it started perfectly.

I tuned the car with OFT with the BPB map changes, and as always right after flashing, the AFR was going all over. After a few miles, the AFR were stable, and the car run great.

A couple days later, on a cold morning, the car stuttered to start, and once it did, i noticed the car didn't run great, and taking a look at the AFR, it was going all over again, so my thought is the "fuel trim learning" was reset?

Why did it happen? Does it really have anything to do with that third bolt on the Denso ECU? Or could it happen from a loss of power during startup due to a bad battery?

Thanks!
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #830
MurderousPandas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
I recently installed the Crawford BPB intake manifold spacers. I got them from another user, and he didn't have the little plaque that allows you to install the third (lower) bolt on the Denso fueling ECU. Some people said that it would cause a grounding issue, and the car wouldn't start, but i tried it without the plaque and it started perfectly.

I tuned the car with OFT with the BPB map changes, and as always right after flashing, the AFR was going all over. After a few miles, the AFR were stable, and the car run great.

A couple days later, on a cold morning, the car stuttered to start, and once it did, i noticed the car didn't run great, and taking a look at the AFR, it was going all over again, so my thought is the "fuel trim learning" was reset?

Why did it happen? Does it really have anything to do with that third bolt on the Denso ECU? Or could it happen from a loss of power during startup due to a bad battery?

Thanks!
Check seals. I have the BPB and never had an issue, and i'm not running the third bolt on the Denso box, no need to, just there for extra structure.
There must be a leak, which would explain the fuel trims and/or poor AFR. Or check the vacuum lines that you had to extend, i'm not sure if those could play a role, but if not, it's still something good to check.

"Chasing speed with patience"
MurderousPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #831
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
If by 3rd bolt, you mean the lower one. That is the grounding bolt for the DI ECU. If it's working without it, it's luck. I ran mine without it for ages, then I lost a bolt to the injector covers and my DI stopped working.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
tato.valverde (11-23-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #832
MurderousPandas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
If by 3rd bolt, you mean the lower one. That is the grounding bolt for the DI ECU. If it's working without it, it's luck. I ran mine without it for ages, then I lost a bolt to the injector covers and my DI stopped working.
Everyone i know running BPB isn't using it. I think there's even a tutorial that leaves it out somewhere. It may be grounded through your DI covers as well, as it is all connected.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #833
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
Everyone i know running BPB isn't using it. I think there's even a tutorial that leaves it out somewhere. It may be grounded through your DI covers as well, as it is all connected.

The lower bolt is bolted directly to a bar on the engine block, which is the main ground for everything The injector covers may be grounding it, but the best guaranteed connection is the bottom one that bolts to the engine and it may improve the DI performance by doing so. I only suggest this as I found out the hard way.

This has just solved an issue on @ajcarson11's Sprintex who was using only the 2 upper bolts.... hesitation is now gone after installing the lower bolt.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #834
MurderousPandas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The lower bolt is bolted directly to a bar on the engine block, which is the main ground for everything The injector covers may be grounding it, but the best guaranteed connection is the bottom one that bolts to the engine and it may improve the DI performance by doing so. I only suggest this as I found out the hard way.

This has just solved an issue on @ajcarson11's Sprintex who was using only the 2 upper bolts.... hesitation is now gone after installing the lower bolt.
Well damn, i enjoy the current performance and no one has seen issues or roughness, but i'll try and see if it smooths any more. Not sure if i have that braket piece still, but i know Lowes has those flat aluminum bars that are perfect for making brackets.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #835
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

Is there something besides low quality/low octane fuel that could be causing me to have such a low adv multiplier? This is on the OTS 91octane tune running Safeway 91 octane fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #836
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

Is there something besides low quality/low octane fuel that could be causing me to have such a low adv multiplier? This is on the OTS 91octane tune running Safeway 91 octane fuel.
Besides the quality of gas, it might be due to the OFT needing to be updated and for you to run the latest map(s).

Check this thread out.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81518

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #837
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Thanks for the reply. I connected the OFT to my computer last week and it let it run through all of it's updates. I also loaded a template file which is what allowed me to use the realtime data display.

The actual OTS 91oct tune I'm using is old, but according to the revision/release notes, the newer iterations of the tune are just to accommodate different ROM IDs or whatever for newer model twins, no actual changes to the performance elements of the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Besides the quality of gas, it might be due to the OFT needing to be updated and for you to run the latest map(s).

Check this thread out.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81518

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 11-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #838
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

I'd only go with top tier. Shell in most cases isn't much more than Safeway where I'm at. Sometimes they are the same price.
I'd definitely try that and check your logs to see if it helps. Not saying it will, but I've read its best to go with top tier gas.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #839
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Or you can try higher octane gas?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-30-2016), Strife26 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #840
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Highest available here is 91. There is a special station that I go to sometimes that has 91 through 100 though. Will try going there soon and getting 94.

Will also try switching to Shell 91 after this tank is done.

Edit: The special gas station is conveniently located after a lot of twisty roads. Should I avoid spirited driving with an adv multiplier this low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Or you can try higher octane gas?

Quote:
I'm old and lazy

Last edited by Clipdat; 11-30-2016 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (11-30-2016), Teseo (11-30-2016)