follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
Moe

Drives: Lexus IS250, Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lots of paranoid owners here - LOL
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What's funny is the $ value of the car has no bearing on this OCD, I see people with Versa's doing the same thing.

I park away from people when I can but if it's a hassle finding a spot I don't waste time and just park it. If it gets hit it gets hit...
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #45
TCHawk

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm guilty of a lot of this too. Granted I keep telling myself to stop thinking the world is just going to missile in on my car as soon as I step out of it when I park. I've gotten better about it too but I still won't go to certain places because I know parking is too tight.

I still park away from the main clump of cars. I just hate that when I park away from people I come back and there's two giant trucks parked right next to me. Which I don't understand why people do that. A lone car is away from the others for a reason. Not a truck companion.

I'm also paranoid not because it's an FR-S but rather this is my first car I've ever bought new.
TCHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #46
(fr-s)

Drives: 2013 fr-s 6sp
parking paranoia

Seems like the harder I try the more random dings I get.

I had a buddy with a s2000 that used to be real bad about it. Drove me crazy!! I would always say "dude you have insurance, it's a honda not a Ferrari. If something happens you're not without recourse!
(fr-s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #47
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

I do agree with most of the things you said though, however with Minivans, you have less chance of someone opening a door on your car since they have sliding doors ;-)

Nick C.
Depends on what comes out of those sliding doors.. I frequent a walking/bike trail that has parallel parking on the street and a parking lot. I parallel park on the street to avoid door dings. But those SUVs and vans carry bikes, kids, carriages and whatnot.. So I avoid those spots with a van nearby. I look for an enthusiasts type car, most probably has OCD like myself and apparently you guys too.. Expensive cars aren't necessarily any safer to park next to than a beater car.. Some people just don't care..
I treated my beater car the same way when I drove it.. Help me...
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #48
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Regardless of the car, the problem is :
Do you really want to pay $$$ for something that wasn't your fault (most autobody & PDR guys are talented but ridiculously expen$ive)?
The car looks like crap because the damage becomes the focal point until it's fixed.
Try matching metallic & pearlescent paints.
Insurance is a headache and they seem to work against you.
People are so egocentric and selfish they have no regard for anybody else (or property).
If metal is exposed expect rust to follow.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #49

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
^^^^^ EXACTLY. someone hits your car, you lose whether you care about cosmetic appearance or not either by paying for repair or in reduction in the value of the car. Really the only thing that we can do is to be door Ding conscious, acknowledge the level of risk in each parking spot and pick the one that minimises chance of damage. A dash cam can provide extra piece of mind knowing that even when something does happen, there will be some hope of catching who did it to save your wallet. Wrapping your vulnerable areas in clear bra will protect the paint and distribute the force from a point load to a more uniformly distributed load to minimise and potentially even eliminate the dent from occurring.
Personally I think wrapping the side profile in Xpel ultimate would pay itself off over the years because pdr isn't as cheap as it sounds and once the paint gets damaged, you're in a world of pain.
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 504 For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (10-10-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #50
Daleo

Drives: 03 Celica GT-S & 13 FR-S
Just had it the other day! Washed the car, ran to the store and parked AWAY from others and came out to this. On top of that the cart was only a few feet away!
Attached Images

Daleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #51
86_Otaku

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited-SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also have parking paranoia, but I always park far and in the corner to avoid possible dings and overall traffic around my car every time. When you leave cars in areas in less traffic, make sure it's visible and in open space, last thing you want is someone messing with your car while you are away. PS. Parking paranoia is not a reason to double park and act like a jerk. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384167877.917865.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  138.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #52
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_Otaku View Post
I also have parking paranoia, but I always park far and in the corner to avoid possible dings and overall traffic around my car every time. When you leave cars in areas in less traffic, make sure it's visible and in open space, last thing you want is someone messing with your car while you are away. PS. Parking paranoia is not a reason to double park and act like a jerk. Attachment 56886

Careful, some people get mad when you take 2 spots and go out their way to fuck with your car :\
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
batmobilefrs

Drives: Raven FRS
I was parked at least 250 ft from the walmart entrance to come out and find this.
Attached Images

batmobilefrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #54
Tfrase

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Funny. True. I tend to go for back-of-the-lot ... -oh-this-one-has-a-median-beside-it when parking. As a friend of mine says, it reduces your damage chances by 50%. Assuming said median doesn't have a big tree beside it. Speaking of which, twice now I've been driving and literally ducked when I heard what sounded like a gunshot. Both times I was driving under trees so I have to think it was an acorn or pecan. But it was LOUD enough to be a gunshot!
Call me paranoid, whatever.... But I do live in Memphis - lol.
Tfrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #55
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_Otaku View Post
I also have parking paranoia, but I always park far and in the corner to avoid possible dings and overall traffic around my car every time. When you leave cars in areas in less traffic, make sure it's visible and in open space, last thing you want is someone messing with your car while you are away. PS. Parking paranoia is not a reason to double park and act like a jerk. Attachment 56886

I would worry that you're extending an invitation for someone to develop some attitude and key your car.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #56
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainManFR-S View Post
And then there are these people.

This guy is obviously going out of his way to park beside the Porsche.
There is no other explanation other than a$$h0le (except maybe small pen15 (as the video suggests)).

I am shocked and amazed that he was able to not ding the Porsche as he rolled himself out of his truck.

The only thing worse would be if he parked ultra-close on the other side.

Seeing this makes me think violent thoughts because it is rampant throughout North America.

WTF is wrong with people?!

Rant over, sorry, couldn't help myself.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote