follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Djen

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post any serious benefit Heat Tapes?

will help minimize heat soking. whatever heat generate from engine bay? im willing to heat tape warping the whole IC pipes intake pipes with DEI heat tapes dose those work well keeping the pipes cooler??

anyhelp ill me much appricaite it thanks..
Djen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Throttle body has coolant running through it so unless you're talking about a section close to the exhaust or the turbo I dont think there is a benefit.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Here's some reading for you

I know there's more out there, but that's all I found in the first 2 mins of searching.

Honestly don't know how much it would help, but surely it would if you were sitting in heavy traffic. Black absorbs and radiates heat as well, so its going to take the heat from being behind the radiator and on top of the header and radiate it into your intake path... right? Questions like this make me wish I was an engineer or something.
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would put gold reflect tape all over the I/C piping.. heat wrap the headers, turbo blanket and i would vent the hood.
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Garage
I 2nd the vented hood idea as well. Especially because some are experiencing hood lift at higher speeds.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Yes, it helps. Any older forum will have at least one thread where someone throws up some FLIR-type pictures of various tape arrangements in the engine bay, along with a k-type thermocouple in the engine bay to show differences in ambient bay temps.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Well here's a question.

We know the heat tape can overall engine bay temperatures down. Now, the heat has to go somewhere right? Does the heat tape end up trapping heat inside the pipes, making the charge air hotter?
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
Well here's a question.

We know the heat tape can overall engine bay temperatures down. Now, the heat has to go somewhere right? Does the heat tape end up trapping heat inside the pipes, making the charge air hotter?
It doesn't keep engine bay temps down, it reflects heat away from things you don't want hot, like the intake.

Edit: what you're talking about is why someone else mentioned a vented hood

edit 2: not to be confused with heat wrap/exhaust wrap which keeps heat inside of your exhaust and out of the engine bay.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Throttle body has coolant running through it so unless you're talking about a section close to the exhaust or the turbo I dont think there is a benefit.
Checked your coolant temps lately? (They're not cool) Coolant through the throttle body HEATS the air. The coolant will almost always be warmer than air entering the throttle body.

The coolant flows into the throttle body to act as a heater for the throttle body mechanism, in especially cold climates.

If you don't experience these cold climates, removing the coolant flow from your throttle bodys is one of the first mods you should be doing.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diss7 For This Useful Post:
1stGenBRZ86 (02-12-2014), RehabJeff86 (02-13-2014), Sportsguy83 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
Checked your coolant temps lately? (They're not cool) Coolant through the throttle body HEATS the air. The coolant will almost always be warmer than air entering the throttle body.

The coolant flows into the throttle body to act as a heater for the throttle body mechanism, in especially cold climates.

If you don't experience these cold climates, removing the coolant flow from your throttle bodys is one of the first mods you should be doing.
Are you quoting me to tell me coolant is hot? That was the point of my post. Wrapping your ic piping is futile unless its exxceding throttle body temp.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Are you quoting me to tell me coolant is hot? That was the point of my post. Wrapping your ic piping is futile unless its exxceding throttle body temp.

I disagree.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Garage
even if the coolant heats up the intake air, lower input temperatures will ultimately lower temperatures past the TB right?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
The coolant hoses to the TB are to keep the TB from icing over (like previously stated). It has almost no effect on the temperature of the air moving through the TB compared to the amount of heat the black plastic of the intake path/manifold absorbs from the engine/bay.

Heat reflective taping the intake path might help keep the air temp from rising even more, but in reality, you have to look at how long the air spends in the intake path (less than a second, maybe a full second at idle). Reflective taping has a greater effect on keeping heat out of closed systems, like brake lines and coolant lines, because they can absorb heat from their surroundings and trap it in the system. Sure, the coolant system has a way to manage it's own heat, but the more you keep out of the fluid, the less work your radiator/thermostat have to do. The brake system, on the other hand, has almost no method to reduce fluid temps, and is very susceptible to heat transfer from the rotors through the calipers.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

This is getting out of hand. Let me start over.
What im saying is on front mount turbos where the maf pipe crosses over the hotside of the turbo there is a benefit. BUT just wrapping ic piping to shield it from abient engine bay temps when you have coolant running through your TB isnt going to make a big enough differance imo.

Im going to do the back of my fan motor on my fbm kit where its near the downpipe and my intake pipe where it crosses over the radiator hose and near the hotside to prevent heatsoak. BTW dei silver seems to handle more heat than the gold.