follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #71
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
For me I wanted this car from the beginning....waited for 2 yrs before i decided to take the plunge to buy it.....mid life crisis...life's too short....so I bought it....it's a fun car to drive...i get the thumbs up from peeps who drive pass me or wave to me from the street...i also get peeps in other cars who rev their hyundai sonata engines at me....i just LOL!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #72
rxlynn

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP - I drove the Accord Coupe MT when shopping, but ended up with the BRZ. Similar to you, I felt the drive was boring. Also, I HATED the interior - too many buttons and screens. From your post, it sounds like you would be fine with the low tech interior of the twins. You might also consider a Mazda 6. Not the same type of car exactly, but model has just had a redesign and I felt it was much better than the Accord in terms of interior, driving feel, and visibility.
rxlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #73
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'll chime in too. Look around for a better dealer that will let you take a BRZ/FRS for an extended test drive. Even if it's used - shouldn't matter. I'd suggest to go with a BRZ, not an FRS, simply because haggling is easier (from my experience). Scion wouldn't really haggle with me, while Subaru was much better. I was looking at all trims - Premium, Limited, Series.Blue. I got the most expensive one, but I got all of the trims down to ~$3k off msrp. I got the bells and whistles (and blue interior and the body kit) for 2k over the very base scion's msrp.

I'm 22 and I commute ~60 miles each day for work. I figured if I'll spend that much time in the car I'd rather have something I enjoy. Love every inch of the car.
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pkush For This Useful Post:
Defuser (01-23-2015), Tcoat (01-23-2015), Tenament05 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
I'll chime in too. Look around for a better dealer that will let you take a BRZ/FRS for an extended test drive. Even if it's used - shouldn't matter. I'd suggest to go with a BRZ, not an FRS, simply because haggling is easier (from my experience). Scion wouldn't really haggle with me, while Subaru was much better. I was looking at all trims - Premium, Limited, Series.Blue. I got the most expensive one, but I got all of the trims down to ~$3k off msrp. I got the bells and whistles (and blue interior and the body kit) for 2k over the very base scion's msrp.

I'm 22 and I commute ~60 miles each day for work. I figured if I'll spend that much time in the car I'd rather have something I enjoy. Love every inch of the car.
But then you have a BRZ and everybody knows that the FRS is made better (especially the Lava ones)!
You can haggle with Scion, just not on the posted price. This does not mean you can't get a great deal on dealer add ons such as exhaust, springs, tint, intakes, etc. Depending on what you are after this can work out really well. There are some great deals on Monograms and 10 Series out there if you look hard enough.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #75
Firefighterjake

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am flattered!
The car is not "slow" as many would have you think even bone stock. They require some driving to wring the best out of them though. I have just a TRD catback and drop in and experience zero issues merging, passing or getting up to highway speeds in general. I plan a light tune in the spring and that should bring it up even more.Too many people are fixated on pure raw power nowadays. A simply and inexpensive drop in filter, some relatively straight forward exhaust upgrades and a tune will make the Accord seem like a snail for daily driving purposes. The guys that want the big HP and go turbo are more the racing or F&F crowd and just can't understand that many of us daily drivers still use a car as a tool not just a toy (a very fun tool however). There are people better qualified then myself to point you in the right direction for exhausts and tunes but take your pick for drop ins 'cuz they are all about the same.

The Mustang comment was just a crude joke on asking what you like to put in your "trunk" and a subtle slam at Mustang drivers as they are reputed to ummmm...like to put things in their "trunks".

I think this is perhaps the most useful post yet . . . although some of the other posts were also helpful.

It sounds like you know what I am looking for -- a reliable car that looks good and drives quite well . . . a car that isn't a speed demon, but is fun to drive and not just something to get you from Point A to Point B.

A sincere thank you for this post . . .
Firefighterjake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firefighterjake For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #76
Pkush

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But then you have a BRZ and everybody knows that the FRS is made better (especially the Lava ones)!
You can haggle with Scion, just not on the posted price. This does not mean you can't get a great deal on dealer add ons such as exhaust, springs, tint, intakes, etc. Depending on what you are after this can work out really well. There are some great deals on Monograms and 10 Series out there if you look hard enough.
Trust me, I've looked hard enough. I've contacted every Subaru Dealer within 200 miles. Half of those told me to "f*** off" in nice words when i lowballed the crap out of them.

Toyota/Scion didn't even come close on the pricing. Maybe it's because I live in the Midwest - I don't know. But that's just my 2 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkush For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #77
Firefighterjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaorocks1 View Post
This car is fun because it makes daily driving more fun... I don't really mind the torque curve cause it allows me to go into 4th/5th and having some driver input rather than pressing the gas pedal harder. Stay in the 5k range when you want performance and stay in the 2.5-3.2k when you want 30mpg(Socal elevation). This car is just asking for driver input when you want to push it at speed limit safe levels and that's what I love about it.
This is also a helpful post for me . . .

So it sounds like this car would be similar to my Accord . . . (in a limited sense) . . . when I'm tooling around and leisurely spooling up to speed in 5th gear and merging on to a highway like a Grandpa then I shouldn't expect blistering speed.

But if I want to drop it down a few gears and have the engine RPM up then the car will "reward" me by providing the zip.

Is this correct . . . or am I misreading things here?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #78
Firefighterjake

Quote:

Up here in Maine I'm not seeing any new BRZs available for sale . . . one dealer claimed there were only 5 in all of New England . . . supposedly.

Scion dealers here in Maine aren't much better . . . heck, some dealers only have two or three Scions total for their stock. Kinda stinks since I enjoy the haggling and negotiating and pitting dealer against dealer.

I have seen a few used BRZs for sale.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #79
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterjake View Post
I think this is perhaps the most useful post yet . . . although some of the other posts were also helpful.

It sounds like you know what I am looking for -- a reliable car that looks good and drives quite well . . . a car that isn't a speed demon, but is fun to drive and not just something to get you from Point A to Point B.

A sincere thank you for this post . . .
Yep, best of both worlds!
It is my baby but not a garage queen or weekend toy!
Attached Images

tahdizzle (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #80
Firefighterjake

Thanks again guys . . .

The one thing I do know I have to do though is take the advice offered by a number of you . . . and find a dealer where I can test drive the WRX.

And as mentioned . . . I will continue to consider a few other alternatives.

I know it's a very different car, and I'm not sure about the whole styling . . . but opinion on the Civic SI?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #81
Pkush

Garage
Civic. Nuff said for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pkush For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (01-23-2015), Tcoat (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #82
Tcoat

Quote:
Civic. Nuff said for me
Yep.
They do sell a shit load of them though.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #83
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterjake View Post
Thanks again guys . . .

The one thing I do know I have to do though is take the advice offered by a number of you . . . and find a dealer where I can test drive the WRX.

And as mentioned . . . I will continue to consider a few other alternatives.

I know it's a very different car, and I'm not sure about the whole styling . . . but opinion on the Civic SI?
SI (with HFP pack) vs. BRZ comparison
http://www.autoguide.com/car-compari...-hfp-2165.html

2015 WRX vs. BRZ comparison:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWyyY718AM"]Subaru WRX Review: better than the BRZ? (FRS, GT86)? -- Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (01-23-2015), torqdork (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #84
dura1198

Drives: 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
jesus can someone chime in here who owns a '15 wrx? Do you ever fill it up with 87 octane for multiple tanks? I can't believe this is even a point of contention

I own a '15 WRX (about 7k miles) but the only thing I've ever put in it is 93.
dura1198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in it, put a sock