follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #113
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Currently, there's no replacement for the enjoyment I garnish from a properly executed heel-toe-double-clutch rev match. The A/T being faster on track is predominately irrelevant because in many road racing classes, there will often be a BOP that addresses any specific car advantage or shortcoming. Even when I'm racing my FRS - I really find the mastery of 3 pedals to be more "fun". After all, if racing wasn't fun - I'd stop spending 10s of 1000s of dollars on it immediately.

The long and short of it is - Owners want the car to be more "fun" in it's intended overall use. When I buy an impractical car it better maximize fun and where sports cars are concerned that involves 3 pedals. It turns out, I am not all people and others find their A/T to be "more fun" and that's fine. Making assumptions about people beyond that point, is sort of absurd.

p.s. I like how a M/T sort of makes my car (more) theft proof.
Dadhawk (05-23-2019), ermax (05-24-2019), Leonardo (05-23-2019), new2subaru (05-23-2019), p1l0t (05-24-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #114
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can understand why manual vs auto was such a big debate back in the day. For me, with a total of 30 minutes of stick experience, it was a big struggle when I was thinking about buying a sports car. Do I get a manual that I'll barely be able to drive at first, might cause serious damage to, and might end up hating, or get an auto and always be thinking that I'm missing out on a lot?

I don't understand though, why paddle shifters are rarely mentioned in this conversation (not this thread, but in general). They give a completely different driving experience from a conventional automatic, even if the transmission uses the same mechanics (i.e., a torque converter).

For people who were torn between manual and auto, they no longer have to choose. Paddle shifters give them all of the auto functionality and (IMO) the best part of the manual functionality without some of the downsides.

Do paddle shifters give you everything that a stick does? No, and I understand why many of you have to have a stick. I might be in that camp too, given different experiences. But for those who were on the fence, seeing major benefits on each side and unable to choose, the debate is over: get an auto FR-S and you won't be disappointed.

Some people want a third pedal, so they get a manual. Some people don't want to think about gears, so they get a traditional automatic. And some people would prefer something in between. At this point, I don't know if I could ever buy another car that didn't have paddle shifters.
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Horsepower For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-29-2019), HachiRokuX (05-29-2019), new2subaru (05-29-2019), Tcoat (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #115
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Is my manual still a cool kid, even though Racerom FFS and rev match???

Oh hang on, it also has launch control......mang mang mang mang wwwhhhaaaaa :b urnrubber:
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #116
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower View Post
I can understand why manual vs auto was such a big debate back in the day. For me, with a total of 30 minutes of stick experience, it was a big struggle when I was thinking about buying a sports car. Do I get a manual that I'll barely be able to drive at first, might cause serious damage to, and might end up hating, or get an auto and always be thinking that I'm missing out on a lot?

I don't understand though, why paddle shifters are rarely mentioned in this conversation (not this thread, but in general). They give a completely different driving experience from a conventional automatic, even if the transmission uses the same mechanics (i.e., a torque converter).

For people who were torn between manual and auto, they no longer have to choose. Paddle shifters give them all of the auto functionality and (IMO) the best part of the manual functionality without some of the downsides.

Do paddle shifters give you everything that a stick does? No, and I understand why many of you have to have a stick. I might be in that camp too, given different experiences. But for those who were on the fence, seeing major benefits on each side and unable to choose, the debate is over: get an auto FR-S and you won't be disappointed.

Some people want a third pedal, so they get a manual. Some people don't want to think about gears, so they get a traditional automatic. And some people would prefer something in between. At this point, I don't know if I could ever buy another car that didn't have paddle shifters.
Very well said!
I think a lot of the controversy stems from people believing that the auto transmissions in these cars are the crappy slush boxes from the past. They are not. AT tech has come a long, long way in the last decade and the use of TCUs has made many ATs more effective than anything in the past. MT tech on the other hand has hardly changed in the last 60 years.
Dadhawk (05-29-2019), finch1750 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #117
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Very well said!
I think a lot of the controversy stems from people believing that the auto transmissions in these cars are the crappy slush boxes from the past. They are not. AT tech has come a long, long way in the last decade and the use of TCUs has made many ATs more effective than anything in the past. MT tech on the other hand has hardly changed in the last 60 years.

Um Corvette and Porsche gave the manual transmission world:
ONE MORE GEAR!
7/8/9 Speed manuals are the future...

RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #118
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Very well said!

I will say that this isn’t the case for me. I know that modern autos are superior to MT. I understand that with the press of a button it will instantly and reliably shift. It’s that press of a button that turns me off. I want to perform all the steps manually. I would like to be the one matching revs. I enjoy the extra layer of complication to perform a shift. I like the challenge of executing all this stuff perfectly. If it’s a simple button press it becomes boring for me even if it would technically save 500ms per lap.

In the past people wanted a manual for these reasons and in this order:
More fun
Faster shifts
Better gas mileage

Today:
More fun

When you are buying a family sedan “more fun” may not be a big concern. When buying a sports car I would expect “more fun” to be the highest priority. But it seems like the highest priority for people today is looks and spec sheets.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #119
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
ONE MORE GEAR!

Adding gears is not evolving tech.
Heavy trucks have had 10 to 18 gears for 70 years.
Dadhawk (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #120
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I will say that this isn’t the case for me. I know that modern autos are superior to MT. I understand that with the press of a button it will instantly and reliably shift. It’s that press of a button that turns me off. I want to perform all the steps manually. I would like to be the one matching revs. I enjoy the extra layer of complication to perform a shift. I like the challenge of executing all this stuff perfectly. If it’s a simple button press it becomes boring for me even if it would technically save 500ms per lap.

More fun
Faster shifts
Better gas mileage

Today:
More fun

When you are buying a family sedan “more fun” may not be a big concern. When buying a sports car I would expect “more fun” to be the highest priority. But it seems like the highest priority for people today is looks and spec sheets.
Agree 100%.
The statement I made is directed to the crowd that feels the AT is somehow inadequate not to those that just want more involvement.
Dadhawk (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #121
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
While looking at cars over the past couple years, I encountered a couple salesmen who couldn't drive a stick. They insisted on getting the car off the lot for me, but I had to tutor them from the right seat. Kudos to the S2000, which I think may have been the last car available only in MT.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #122
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

More fun
Faster shifts
Better gas mileage

Today:
More fun
You left off what is probably the primary reason for MT vs AT selection in the past.... Cost and Availability. I can tell you that every car purchased by my parents and grandparents were purchased with low cost in mind. They would only pay for an AT if it was the only transmission available on the car, or they were buying used and buying the first car in their price range.

Many vehicles did not have available auto transmissions at one point as well.

More Fun and Faster Shifts would have only been for enthusiasts, it would never enter the "general buying public's" thought process.

Fuel economy is valid.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ermax (05-29-2019), humfrz (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #123
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Is my manual still a cool kid, even though Racerom FFS and rev match???

Oh hang on, it also has launch control......mang mang mang mang wwwhhhaaaaa :b urnrubber:
More examples of blurring the line between manual and what I (though not many others) would call semi-auto.

Quote:
AT tech has come a long, long way in the last decade and the use of TCUs has made many ATs more effective than anything in the past. MT tech on the other hand has hardly changed in the last 60 years.
And I wonder what driving technology will do in the future. Someone mentioned "I, Robot" (Will Smith film) the other day, where he was considered crazy for driving his car "manually," meaning with his hands on the wheel and foot on the pedal (didn't notice if there was a clutch). Although I drive an AT, I do lament the loss of manual control in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
ONE MORE GEAR!

Is there a point at which there are too many gears for a manual transmission, at least without skipping gears?

Quote:
I will say that this isn’t the case for me.
And you're describing exactly what I like about MTs, the extra layer of complication (well, and the old school feel).
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #124
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You left off what is probably the primary reason for MT vs AT selection in the past.... Cost and Availability. I can tell you that every car purchased by my parents and grandparents were purchased with low cost in mind. They would only pay for an AT if it was the only transmission available on the car, or they were buying used and buying the first car in their price range.

Many vehicles did not have available auto transmissions at one point as well.

More Fun and Faster Shifts would have only been for enthusiasts, it would never enter the "general buying public's" thought process.

Fuel economy is valid.
AT was a luxury feature as I understand it. Hence why some of the older generations of people call MT "Standard".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-29-2019), new2subaru (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #125
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
More examples of blurring the line between manual and what I (though not many others) would call semi-auto.
Oh god. Let's not ever think you could call a car semi-auto, at least not right now.

This is implying the car can never drive like a true auto, like a gun, a semi-auto gun when the trigger is held, no longer launches bullets beyond the single bullet from that trigger pull. Much like a trigger, the throttle when depressed and when the engine reaches the top of the RPM band will not shift. You could only ever call it semi-auto if the car would never let you drive as auto, but that's not a thing as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #126
Tcoat

Quote:

And I wonder what driving technology will do in the future. Someone mentioned "I, Robot" (Will Smith film) the other day, where he was considered crazy for driving his car "manually," meaning with his hands on the wheel and foot on the pedal (didn't notice if there was a clutch). Although I drive an AT, I do lament the loss of manual control in the future.

Is there a point at which there are too many gears for a manual transmission, at least without skipping gears?

Not in my lifetime (which isn't that much longer I am sure) but in the foreseeable future cars will either be self driving or electric with no tranny (or both) anyway. It is closer than people seem to believe.

Although pushed as a performance feature a large number of gears has much more to do with economy and emissions. By having a bunch of gears the manufactures can have bigger engines but still meet their reduction requirements. Some of the fastest cars I drove were 3 or 4 speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
AT was a luxury feature as I understand it. Hence why some of the older generations of people call MT "Standard".
Yep. I still call it standard all the time. It takes and actual conscious act for me not to write it here just to have a bunch of youngin's go "Huh?"
Dadhawk (05-29-2019), humfrz (05-29-2019)