follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Carwash package for "Black" Cars

I have a Raven and looking to get my car detailed. One of the exterior packages which includes a Black Polish and Paint overspray, is exclusive to Black cars only, but they have the same exact package for non-black cars as well. Is getting the "black" package a good option or should i be worried since the black on the Raven is unique and has the sparkly/glittery look to it? I don't want to lose that 'pop' that the Raven's OEM paint.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Its a gimmick
Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
If you're not familiar with what products they're using and their detail process, then I'd avoid entirely. They're likely overcharging for a wash and wax process.

Go find an independent detailer that's well reviewed and showcases what kind of products and services they use for your car instead of using generic buzzwords.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
jarviz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Its a gimmick
but it's the same price as the regular package for non-black cars...? I think it supposed to just give black cars an extra shine.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
jarviz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
If you're not familiar with what products they're using and their detail process, then I'd avoid entirely. They're likely overcharging for a wash and wax process.

Go find an independent detailer that's well reviewed and showcases what kind of products and services they use for your car instead of using generic buzzwords.
They are an independent detailer, and have very positive reviews on yelp. They list all the services they perform and there's no generic buzzwords. It's just they have a package I was looking into, when I saw they have the same package but specific to "black" cars, for no extra charge. I was just curious if there things a detailer could do that would hurt the paint on the Raven since it's not your typical black paint.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Realize what you are doing when you are working on your cars paint. You are working the clear coat.

It would make sense the package is the same products and price as for other cars. Seems they are saying for black cars because people wont know the difference but know their black car shows scratches [in the clear coat] worse than other colors.

Go for it if your trust the shops work but they are not doing anything specific or different for your black paint.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
radroach

Well they do have wax formulas these days dedicated for Black or White (light or dark ) vehicles so there is some credibility to it. But don't take an upsell for any special black vehicle package, because its just a wax/sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G620.../dp/B009OBW29S

The problem is OP is that your description "packages which includes a Black Polish and Paint overspray" isn't anything I've heard of so you might want to check up on your terminology / technical details with your detailer.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
I have a Raven and looking to get my car detailed. One of the exterior packages which includes a Black Polish and Paint overspray, is exclusive to Black cars only, but they have the same exact package for non-black cars as well. Is getting the "black" package a good option or should i be worried since the black on the Raven is unique and has the sparkly/glittery look to it? I don't want to lose that 'pop' that the Raven's OEM paint.
I think you're overthinking this.......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Well they do have wax formulas these days dedicated for Black or White (light or dark ) vehicles so there is some credibility to it. But don't take an upsell for any special black vehicle package, because its just a wax/sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G620.../dp/B009OBW29S

The problem is OP is that your description "packages which includes a Black Polish and Paint overspray" isn't anything I've heard of so you might want to check up on your terminology / technical details with your detailer.
So how does the clear coat differ on a black or white car vs a silver or red one?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
radroach

@zionswraty well different waxes often have different qualities per color paint, these are formulas made to enhance light or dark colors
Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
jarviz

Maybe I am mix-explaining this. Hopefully this will help clarify. They seem like a legit service based on the yelp reviews.

http://kwallacesignature.com/exteriors/

I am deciding between the "Diamond Shine" vs the "Blackout Service", but just trying to understand what kind of special options there are for a black car over other colors. Both services are the same price.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarviz For This Useful Post:
radroach (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
jarviz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I think you're overthinking this.......

humfrz
haha yea probably. I've never gotten my car detailed before and was going to get one of their special packages... then i saw the same package but catered to black cars only. It's not like they're asking for more money, so i'm just wondering if it would reduce the 'sparkle' that the OEM paint has.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
From the website they say "black polish" is part of the kit. It leads me to believe that they use a polish designed for black paints.

The best person to ask would probably be http://kwallacesignature.com/contact/ or call (866)891-DETAIL or (347)871 – 2633.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
haha yea probably. I've never gotten my car detailed before and was going to get one of their special packages... then i saw the same package but catered to black cars only. It's not like they're asking for more money, so i'm just wondering if it would reduce the 'sparkle' that the OEM paint has.
Welp, like said above ....... the "sparkles" are embedded into the paint itself. All the detailer is going to work on is the clear coat, which covers the paint.....

After reading your link, unless your car is really messed up, I'd suggest you just go for the "wash and wax" option.....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote