follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
omadab

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY climate control and push to start

Hello people,
I am looking to buy a 2015 BRZ with no features on it. I really want this car because the color, mileage and price are perfect. Here is a picture of the interior:
https://tdrpmimages.azureedge.net/ph...e.jpg-1024x786
The problem is I really wanted climate control, heated seats and push to start. The heated seats I know I can DIY myself ez pz
However the climate control and push to start is a different story. So, does anyone know if these projects are relatively simple, or is it way too much work?

Thanks
oma

Last edited by omadab; 02-10-2019 at 03:36 PM.
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i was told in '14 that adding seat heaters aftermarket can potentially mess with the passenger airbag sensor switch, that is located in the seat pad.

the climate control involves gutting the entire dash to install the full suite of motors and wiring.

you're much better off looking for another car.
omadab (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Climate Control is possible but very difficult and can be expensive (some of the pins/wires for the connectors needed are $15 a piece and you need a lot of them) if you are not able to find them from other places/other cars.

Factory Push start is not an option for retro fit. Complete wiring harness is different as well as extra sensors and I do think an extra security ecu.

They do sell aftermarket push to start though. Works pretty well. Ft86speedfactory sells it.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
omadab

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i was told in '14 that adding seat heaters aftermarket can potentially mess with the passenger airbag sensor switch, that is located in the seat pad.

the climate control involves gutting the entire dash to install the full suite of motors and wiring.

Where did you read this? on the forum? Heated seats are the most important thing to me lol. I can do without all except the seats haha
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
soundman98

i don't really remember anymore. i want to say it was a salesman first, and then some research later found similar statements.

i went with a brz limited because i wanted the heated seats anyways, and the minor price bump wasn't enough to justify the possible hassle.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Way too much work. You are better off paying a bit more for a model that already has them.
It's in par with doing an auto to manual conversion.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
You're going to hate this car.

You want comfort and I can guarantee if the rattles and noise don't drive you nuts, the harsh ride will.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
soundman98

the only thing that's ever rattled on my car was the rear deck and the dome light switch. the rear deck was fixed with some sound dampening, the dome light was fixed with some felt...
Old 02-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
Hello people,
I am looking to buy a 2015 BRZ with no features on it. I really want this car because the color, mileage and price are perfect. Here is a picture of the interior:
https://tdrpmimages.azureedge.net/ph...e.jpg-1024x786
The problem is I really wanted climate control, heated seats and push to start. The heated seats I know I can DIY myself ez pz
However the climate control and push to start is a different story. So, does anyone know if these projects are relatively simple, or is it way too much work?

Thanks
oma
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
Where did you read this? on the forum? Heated seats are the most important thing to me lol. I can do without all except the seats haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

Soundman is right, the passenger airbag detection is a circuit that involves detecting the resistance of whatever or whoever is in the seat, that's why if the seat gets moist it sets it off as it calculates the seat weight from the resistance. This also means EMF from certain tablets or phones can trigger it as well, my oneplus 5 used to trigger it with it's aluminum body and my 6t does with NFC on sometimes. Adding an aftermarket seat heater element will most definitely interfere with it.

Climate control is also quite complex you'd need the Climate Control Unit
Temp Sensors, Different piping assembly, Front Button/Dash Assembly
,Appropriate Wiring harnesses and the cost goes well past $2k just to get it to work in automated fashion.

If you had done your research, you would've realized you should honestly should just save up for a higher trim BR-Z
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It may be less expensive to buy the car with the features you want on it and then paint it?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
Not to sound like a troll but buying this car and trying to add heated seats, dual climate and push start after the fact sounds like the dumbest idea ever. I don't think you are realizing how much work this would be and I would strongly recommend not doing this. Unless you are getting a base model for thousands less and saving a ton of money, its not worth it. Just pay the $ and buy the better model with those features.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote