follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
TheMekhanik

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help

Hi everyone. First time posting, avid reader, full time gear head who is loosing his 16 year old son to cancer. His pride and joy is an extremely clean low mile Crystal White 14 BRZ. I want him to to enjoy having an awesome car with his time left here so I am looking for some help and advice with some of the mods I’m actively doing for him:

Currently
Factory exhaust Manifold,
Unknown brand after market OP
Unknown brand aftermarket catless front pipe,
Unknown stainless catback,
FactionFab F-spec

To be done
18x8.5/18x9.5 Rota Grid - Ordered 8/13, still no package yet
235/40ZR18,255/35/R18 Nittos
PowerStop Calipers - to be installed
Stop tech Pads & lines - shipment from reseller was lost
Stop tech Rotors - to be installed

Exhaust Sound isn’t bad, just not good enough so we’re starting over. Picked an exhaust - MXP Comp RS, ordered it, days later were told its back ordered, waiting on refund. So picked another Perrin resonated 3”, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Plan to reuse the OP and Front pipe. Started looking for a header but it seems every single quality company is out of everything online; EL & UEL. Would ideally want JDL/FT86 catted, but I can’t find one. So then we decided well go catless and tune it - but I don’t know what tuner is easiest, fastest. OFT ? ECU TEK? Can anyone point out a quality header in stock? EL or UEL?

Any help would greatly appreciated, time is of the essence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMekhanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMekhanik View Post
Hi everyone. First time posting, avid reader, full time gear head who is loosing his 16 year old son to cancer. His pride and joy is an extremely clean low mile Crystal White 14 BRZ. I want him to to enjoy having an awesome car with his time left here so I am looking for some help and advice with some of the mods I’m actively doing for him:

Currently
FactionFab F-spec

To be done

Exhaust Sound isn’t bad, just not good enough so we’re starting over. Picked an exhaust - MXP Comp RS, ordered it, days later were told its back ordered, waiting on refund. So picked another Perrin resonated 3”, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Plan to reuse the OP and Front pipe. Started looking for a header but it seems every single quality company is out of everything online; EL & UEL. Would ideally want JDL/FT86 catted, but I can’t find one. So then we decided well go catless and tune it - but I don’t know what tuner is easiest, fastest. OFT ? ECU TEK? Can anyone point out a quality header in stock? EL or UEL?

Sorry about your son. I commend you for being an amazing father! Stay strong. The OFT is the easiest and cost less than the Ecutek. The only time consuming part is waiting for the OFT to update when you plug it into a PC which is like 5-10 minutes. Flashing the ECU takes like 2 minutes. Can't answer the headers availability part for you. CSGMike might be able to help with that.

Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pitty you already ordered staggered wheel & tire set. Car will understeer more then even stock, rather understeer biased.
Instead of mods i'd rather think of just fluid/pads/tires and pay for son to participate in some HPDE / trackday events, preferably with tutoring. Imho actual performance driving on track might bring more fun/joy then a bit different sound and looks of wheels.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
BEZO760 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
UEL catless. Most aftermarket companies are getting rid of catted due costs warranty issues or going the other way and only selling catted headers. Look at the r400. FT86speed factory stocks it. If I were getting a full catback it would be on my shortlist along with mxp SP or Fujitsubo Authorize R catback.

Go with OFT. Easy to tune the car. The key is to be sure the car has factory airbox otherwise maf scaling will be off using OFT tunes.

If you can go back to the stock front pipe if you still have it. You do not want to be completely catless with catless headers.

Lastly sorry to hear about your son. Being a father oy two young kids(under 4) I hope I never have to brave that situation. I tip my hat to you sir. Not sure how I would deal.... God bless you and your family.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
TheMekhanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post
Sorry about your son. I commend you for being an amazing father! Stay strong. The OFT is the easiest and cost less than the Ecutek. The only time consuming part is waiting for the OFT to update when you plug it into a PC which is like 5-10 minutes. Flashing the ECU takes like 2 minutes. Can't answer the headers availability part for you. CSGMike might be able to help with that.

Thank you sir

Old 08-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
TheMekhanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Pitty you already ordered staggered wheel & tire set. Car will understeer more then even stock, rather understeer biased.
Instead of mods i'd rather think of just fluid/pads/tires and pay for son to participate in some HPDE / trackday events, preferably with tutoring. Imho actual performance driving on track might bring more fun/joy then a bit different sound and looks of wheels.

Thanks for the advice. As far as the rims; He’s 16, that’s what he wanted. I don’t think he’ll have an issue.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
TheMekhanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
UEL catless. Most aftermarket companies are getting rid of catted due costs warranty issues or going the other way and only selling catted headers. Look at the r400. FT86speed factory stocks it. If I were getting a full catback it would be on my shortlist along with mxp SP or Fujitsubo Authorize R catback.

Go with OFT. Easy to tune the car. The key is to be sure the car has factory airbox otherwise maf scaling will be off using OFT tunes.

If you can go back to the stock front pipe if you still have it. You do not want to be completely catless with catless headers.

Lastly sorry to hear about your son. Being a father oy two young kids(under 4) I hope I never have to brave that situation. I tip my hat to you sir. Not sure how I would deal.... God bless you and your family.

Thank you sir, it’s been a battle but he’s an awesome kid.

I understand about the cats. We live in MA which is getting tougher for stickers. I didn’t know about the front pipe until after and now I’m stuck. I’m ok going either way, just can’t find them. I’ll take a peek at the fujitsubo.

I’m still out $1300 from FT86 (still owes refund and packages) should try them again?

Old 08-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Thank you sir, it’s been a battle but he’s an awesome kid.

I understand about the cats. We live in MA which is getting tougher for stickers. I didn’t know about the front pipe until after and now I’m stuck. I’m ok going either way, just can’t find them. I’ll take a peek at the fujitsubo.

I’m still out $1300 from FT86 (still owes refund and packages) should try them again?

The key is to be sure they stock it and it's not dropped ship. Just call them ahead and confirm its really in stock. If it says in stock but ships from factory your rolling the dice

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
TheMekhanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
The key is to be sure they stock it and it's not dropped ship. Just call them ahead and confirm its really in stock. If it says in stock but ships from factory your rolling the dice

10-4, I haven’t found one yet.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Currently
FactionFab F-spec

To be done

Hey brother, have you looked into Ace headers ? Those with an ecutek and delicious tune and you be set , as you can tune yourself .the 421 350 header I believe has nice gains in the top end and is one of the better headers available for this platform . You can check on counterspace garage or call them and they will provide ya with graphs to demonstrate gains versus talked about gains .
In terms of your son , see if the hospital. That's treating him has an MSW social worker than get ya aligned with the dream fund , or make a wish foundation to perhaps get some financial help with some parts , I know they won't buy cars for people but may help with parts or like another said here perhaps track school and tutoring , or perhaps a killer photo op with him and fam and the build . Cherish the moments and bless your son and your family !!!! Staying hopeful for ya

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
TheMekhanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
Hey brother, have you looked into Ace headers ? Those with an ecutek and delicious tune and you be set , as you can tune yourself .the 421 350 header I believe has nice gains in the top end and is one of the better headers available for this platform . You can check on counterspace garage or call them and they will provide ya with graphs to demonstrate gains versus talked about gains .
In terms of your son , see if the hospital. That's treating him has an MSW social worker than get ya aligned with the dream fund , or make a wish foundation to perhaps get some financial help with some parts , I know they won't buy cars for people but may help with parts or like another said here perhaps track school and tutoring , or perhaps a killer photo op with him and fam and the build . Cherish the moments and bless your son and your family !!!! Staying hopeful for ya

Thank you, Thank you.

I have looked at Delicious, thou I’ve read can take a while to respond? I will look at the ACE headers more, as I kind of skipped over them. Curious of the AFE units as well.

He has been treated at Boston Children’s/Dana Farber and have been beyond helpful with everything. He enjoyed a vacation thru Make a Wish Foundation and a few other charities. Local town and MA State Police donated $5,000 towards the purchase of the BRZ!

We tried a few tracks, one wouldn’t budge on the 18yo minimum which is crazy.

Shot if his car-

The Following User Says Thank You to TheMekhanik For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
jflogerzi

Garage
AFE not very good. Might as well stay stock headers.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
TheMekhanik

* Found out the front pipe and overpipe are Perrin so they’re worth keeping. Leaning now towards a resonated Perrin, and an EL header after listening to a ton of different setups. Tomei EL, HKS EL, seem to be most common. Regardless we’re going to go for the OFT 2.0 and find out how/where to get different stages. My experience is in Big Block GM with other software, but I shouldn’t have issues. He’s hoping to have it “pop/crackle” at times, which took awhile to figure out 16 yo lingo lol.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
First - I have 20 year old twins and can't imagine how I'd handle what you and your family are going through. I heartily commend you for being so strong and would love to buy you a beer some time when I'm in your area.

About that tune, there's a guy in CT and another in MA that will do a custom tune for you at no cost. If you'd like I'll dig up their info and get it to you. Ben did a stage 1 on mine a while back and it's been absolutely fantastic. Are you on FB?