follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #57
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have something nice and not nice to say about Miwa's info, I wont just say nice without the bad so I won't say anything at all.

Looks like the shit hit the fan already without me, but I won't add to it, but I will say the FB20 is not a recast of the EJ20, it's based off the EZ30 H6. Who ever said it was an EJ20 recast?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #58
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Well, has anyone seen Hachi lately? You never know if the Toyota UFO zapped him to HQ for a special invite ehh?

"According to Miwa, we can expect the concept's 2000GT-inspired C-pillar to carry over, along with "a little more flavour" from the Scion FR-S concept and a sharper rear-end design."

I hope the rear is sharper, but I wonder if they mean by the circular lights as seen on the prototypes? I won't judge until I see the camo stripped, but I hope Toyota/Scion can pull a rabbit out of a hat to impress me with the back end.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #59
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
true. but its coming from an enthusiast, who runs an enthusiast website, personally invited to a small media dinner. pictures of the final production car were revealed to them, and they had a 4 hour talk. what makes me think its disinformation? vs magazine/online articles from months maybe years ago?

has toyota/subaru ever said outright that its the FB? subaru flat 4 can mean just about anything...
I was just thinking out loud. Sorry. Just trying to come up with another idea of why there might be some info that contradicts what we were led to believe previously. This could definitely be the final info. I don't think Motohide Miwa would purposely lead us astray. However who knows what Toyota's motives are at this point. I mean it is great that they got a group of enthusiasts together to talk about the project. BUT, Toyota/Subaru have been so tight lipped why would they start releasing info out now? Especially to a group of enthusiasts, who no matter what embargo was given/paper work signed, still at risk for spilling the beans. I wonder if this is more just an opportunity to get some enthusiasts viewpoint of the production car and to get a feel for the water temperature from them.

The added info that this story gives is great. Wish they would spill more of the beans, primarily about the car's weight and the specs on the engine. But I understand they are still working on the car. If Akio Toyoda enjoys the car as much as it sounds, it should be a great product in the end. Could be one of the best bang for the bucks in the past few years for a new car. We will have to wait and see.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #60
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
Well, has anyone seen Hachi lately? You never know if the Toyota UFO zapped him to HQ for a special invite ehh?

"According to Miwa, we can expect the concept's 2000GT-inspired C-pillar to carry over, along with "a little more flavour" from the Scion FR-S concept and a sharper rear-end design."

I hope the rear is sharper, but I wonder if they mean by the circular lights as seen on the prototypes? I won't judge until I see the camo stripped, but I hope Toyota/Scion can pull a rabbit out of a hat to impress me with the back end.

It is too bad Hachi isn't as active (in terms of discussing the car and talking about what we want to see) on here as other forum creators are on other forums. I understand he must be busy, but I sure would like to hear his opinion more often.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #61
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I was just thinking out loud. Sorry. Just trying to come up with another idea of why there might be some info that contradicts what we were led to believe previously. This could definitely be the final info. I don't think Motohide Miwa would purposely lead us astray. However who knows what Toyota's motives are at this point. I mean it is great that they got a group of enthusiasts together to talk about the project. BUT, Toyota/Subaru have been so tight lipped why would they start releasing info out now? Especially to a group of enthusiasts, who no matter what embargo was given/paper work signed, still at risk for spilling the beans. I wonder if this is more just an opportunity to get some enthusiasts viewpoint of the production car and to get a feel for the water temperature from them.

The added info that this story gives is great. Wish they would spill more of the beans, primarily about the car's weight and the specs on the engine. But I understand they are still working on the car. If Akio Toyoda enjoys the car as much as it sounds, it should be a great product in the end. Could be one of the best bang for the bucks in the past few years for a new car. We will have to wait and see.
i dont know who was invited, but Moto does not sound like any old random enthusiast. and what better way to drum up grassroots support from real enthusiasts than talking to people like Moto? they could've easily talked to the regular media but that wouldnt do much for people like us. when "one of our own" gets invited to such an event, then we listen more carefully. he doesnt get paid to go there and write about it like a journalist. he does it out of his own passion for toyota products. what more worthy a person can there be?

and that's why im more excited than reading about it on some internet site or mag. there's always that grain of salt when i read stuff online, but when its first hand info from an enthusiast forum admin? it dont get better than that as far as im concerned...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #62
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Yes, please Miguel, for the sake of all manhood, hold back your tears b/c once it's a Scion, you'll definitely open up the flood gates!

LOL...that's part of the reason why I'm getting decals on my tC that say's "It's Only A Scion", so the next time I pass a 2011 Lotus Elise or a 2010-2011 BMW M3 at the race track they will read it. My mockery of the statement...
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #63
aeronerd

Drives: Civic Si
So I read different forums a lot for technical answers and such, but I have never actually joined one. This article forced me to join. And I have now made up my mind that I will be purchasing this FR-S. No CD and no Navigation is exactly what I want. Hell it's just a 2 door give me the old fashion manual windows it's just one less thing to go bad. Be easy on me if I do anything against forum etiquette, I will read all the rules after this I just felt the need to post here first.
aeronerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #64
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
I have something nice and not nice to say about Miwa's info, I wont just say nice without the bad so I won't say anything at all.

Looks like the shit hit the fan already without me, but I won't add to it, but I will say the FB20 is not a recast of the EJ20, it's based off the EZ30 H6. Who ever said it was an EJ20 recast?
I said the FB is a recast/redesign of the EJ. Which isn't 100% accurate, I know. To clarify I don't believe the FT86 engine is simply a recast EJ20, I believe it is a FB20 that is getting a workover. And Moto is drawing a comparison to the older EJ20. Confusing? I know. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
It is too bad Hachi isn't as active (in terms of discussing the car and talking about what we want to see) on here as other forum creators are on other forums. I understand he must be busy, but I sure would like to hear his opinion more often.
Hachi is always doing stuff in the background here. I've seen reported posts disappear within an hour. I think he at least reads the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #65
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
So it turns out not to be a FB20, nor is it really a EJ20.

The fact that the block alone has been altered and is of a new design is a very good sign for those interested in the engine. It means that they have taken the necessary steps to provide the engine that they have set out to create from the start for the vehicle.

Last edited by Exage; 07-18-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Sentence
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #66
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Hachi is always doing stuff in the background here. I've seen reported posts disappear within an hour. I think he at least reads the forum.

No I wasn't speaking about the admin stuff he does. He is great at getting rid of the spam posts as soon as they are reported and making sure this place keeps running. I'm talking about some of the other car enthusiasts. Hell look how active Moto-P is over at 4ag or Nick over at NASIOC.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #67
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Tranzformer, you said this car might be a "bang for buck". Define your version of a bang for buck? It still doesnt sound like a B4B to me. My definition of one is a 2011 mustang v6(which im not into)track pack and a 3.8 rspec GC.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #68
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Tranzformer, you said this car might be a "bang for buck". Define your version of a bang for buck? It still doesnt sound like a B4B to me. My definition of one is a 2011 mustang v6(which im not into)track pack and a 3.8 rspec GC.
I will hold off commenting until the official specs are released on the car as I might have to eat my shorts. But if Toyota/Subaru hit the lightweight, responsive engine, well designed/smart interior and affordable all in one package, then yes I think they have done a great job. If this car starts getting heavy or expensive then it is a failure. They really need to keep this in the $23-25k range and under 2700lbs. If not, I don't see the point in it. Everything Moto-P wrote seems to hint that Toyota/Subaru nailed the car design on the head.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #69
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
my reaction after reading this?? BOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOING!
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #70
stevens8

Drives: '12 WRX
Very very nice info. Like others have said, I thinks it's awesome there keeping things simple. "Light weight" and "feel" are my main hopes for this car.

stevens8 is offline   Reply With Quote