follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Contemplating Raven Purchase Please Advise

About to place my order. Love the crowd here. Love the car, though i have some questions.

1. as a DD can I rely on scion that the car will last? I keep reading about the cel/chirp issues which scares me.

2. hows everyone like their car, is it as amazing as i anticipate : )

3. I'm so ready to get it thats the only thing : ) i just want this to be my car for the next 5 years : )

THANKS GUYS
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
I use mine as a dd and I couldn't be happier. I am one of the lucky few who hasn't suffered from cel. And I'm just under 2400 miles. I'm averaging roughly 37.8 mpg according to what the car says. But there a lot oh free way miles on it. I usually only commute to work bout 2 miles a day.

As for question #2. You couldn't go wrong. I love mine. Although. At times I do wish it has more power. But modifications can fix that and then it can be truly yours. And sometimes I wish I had more tech. For slightly more the 2012 genesis offers so much more.

#3. Go out and get one already! As you mentioned earlier. I couldn't be happier to be apart of such a friendly/ welcoming community as this this one.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
RT87

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry too much about CEL/chirping, the problem just sounds more apparent than it is because people only post when they have problems, and people whose cars are fine don't post about having zero problems. Personally I haven't had any issues, go for it!
RT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
About to place my order. Love the crowd here. Love the car, though i have some questions.

1. as a DD can I rely on scion that the car will last? I keep reading about the cel/chirp issues which scares me.

2. hows everyone like their car, is it as amazing as i anticipate : )

3. I'm so ready to get it thats the only thing : ) i just want this to be my car for the next 5 years : )

THANKS GUYS

I'm in your same boat! I love the community here, the guys and vendors rock!

It is a Toyota after all. Consumer Reports have a high predicted reliability already on the car. Subaru may have done the engine, but the rest of it is all Toyota. They stand behind their product and they have an exceptional track record. I am planning to use my FR-S as a DD and intend on keeping it 5 years maybe longer. I haven't had a passion for a specific car like this in a while and I am really excited to get mine.

Those chirp issues were early batch I would assume. Those updated ECU's started going out a while ago addressing that. I would pre-order one and not look back. Dealers can't keep any 6 speeds in stock at all! Been a hot ticket car since last year and this community is outstanding. Join us.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
HotLava

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 FR-S Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post

It is a Toyota after all. Consumer Reports have a high predicted reliability already on the car. Subaru may have done the engine, but the rest of it is all Toyota. They stand behind their product and they have an exceptional track record. I am planning to use my FR-S as a DD and intend on keeping it 5 years maybe longer. I haven't had a passion for a specific car like this in a while and I am really excited to get mine.

Those chirp issues were early batch I would assume. Those updated ECU's started going out a while ago addressing that. I would pre-order one and not look back. Dealers can't keep any 6 speeds in stock at all! Been a hot ticket car since last year and this community is outstanding. Join us.
It's manufactured by Subaru. My wife has a 2011 Outback that in eighteen months she has put 50k miles on with no problems at all. Subaru or Toyota, don't worry.
HotLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Great car. 9k miles. 5 two-day DE events completed. Zero times submitted for warranty work.

Chirp is present, but is not an issue which halters the performance or drive of the car.

Dead pedal assembly makes clicking / popping effect if my foot places pressure on it, but still not an issue for me.

Third brake light assembly makes sqeaking noise when the temperature is warmer outside... Still not a major issue for me.

No regrets here. This car is excellent to drive... Believe me.

OP: Go ahead and pull the trigger.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
norm24

Drives: TSX
Hate to be that 'guy'.... No disrespect, but there seems to be more than enough threads already covering the same topic.

It seems that everyone thinking of buying this car starts a thread to try and justify the purchase.

1. Issues (CEL/chirp) are covered under warranty. If you're still scared, then this isn't the car for you.
2. A quick browse at the first page of this forum tells you that majority, if not everybody loves their FR-S'. What do you expect? You're in an 86 forum. Expect something different from the Genesis forum.
3. Nobody can tell right now if the car will hold up in 5 years. It was just released.

Again, not trying to be a douche but there's way too much material (some, or should I say most are duplicated even, thus this rant) already posted to make an intelligent decision whether to proceed or not. It's not that difficult to search really since this forum is well broken down into sub-forums.

Sorry if I offend you though...
norm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post

It seems to me its more of a Subaru than a Toyota. Toyota helped design/engineer a bit of it (designed the body, offered injectors), but its pretty much a Subaru beyond that (all the cars are built in the Subaru factory in Ota, Gunma Japan). I still have yet to be able to find a Toyota stamp anywhere on my car (though I havent dug deep into the engine). However, that being said, Subaru's are also reliable, so no worries there. I run my Raven FR-S as a DD and its running great for me. I plan on keeping it as my DD for 5 years as well and it hasnt given me any reason to believe it cant handle it. And as it is a Scion, it is backed by Toyota, so I'm not worried.

#2: Its worth every penny I spent on it and then some.

#1..again: The chirp issue is only a noise and the rear light condensation is also just a minor issue. They will get worked out eventually, and they dont do any harm to anything. The CEL issue...I havent run into it. I also havent been hearing nearly as much about it lately. Seems that maybe the newer cars have updated their ECU and maybe that fixed the problem.

IMO, you are late enough into the game to where you should avoid a lot of the initial headaches. Go for it.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I change my justification. We're driving Subaru's but they're still awesome! lol. Both companies have a lot of respect.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
The only problem I have with my BRZ being a daily driver is that when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I get pissy that we aren't able to go 80! lol...seriously though...3500 miles and no complaints. Everyone pretty much knows by now if you want faster (from the dealer floor) it's going to have ponies on it...the absence of ponies makes it unique on the street which is half the fun of this car...the other half is that it's fun to drive on the weekends and won't eat up your gas budget.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
The only problem I have with my BRZ being a daily driver is that when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I get pissy that we aren't able to go 80! lol...seriously though...3500 miles and no complaints. Everyone pretty much knows by now if you want faster (from the dealer floor) it's going to have ponies on it...the absence of ponies makes it unique on the street which is half the fun of this car...the other half is that it's fun to drive on the weekends and won't eat up your gas budget.
I'm the same way about traffic. I'm insulted they would disrespect my sports car by going so slow.

OP:
1. It's a great daily driver, and like others have said the issues are few and far between at this point, don't worry. She'll last you a long time if you treat her right and go on plenty of long drives.

2. I love this car. It's fantastic and I can't help but smile when I see it and drive it. It's an absolute pleasure to drive and it feels good. To me, the power is perfect, it's a pretty quick car and is enthuastic about having the peddle pushed. Some cars sound like their choking if you push too hard, the FR-S just growls happily.

3. It's Toyota and subaru, it'll last for sure.

4. Get hot lava.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
danthemann5

Drives: FR-S
5k miles and no CEL. I have the chirp, but it doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to impair functionality. Actually, it think it's part of the charm. I love the car more every time I drive it. Go ahead, pull the trigger, it's a fantastic and fun car.
danthemann5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
midnightfrolic

Drives: Scion FRS A/T raven
i have a raven with bespoke. love the for what it is meant to do, make me grin like an ape becaue iy drives so well. lacking in amenities though. no CEL in 1500 miles. tough to keep clean in black. i've only used touchless car washes once a week. i do basic detailing once a month roughly. vacuum, upholstery upkeep, glass. i have not done clay bar and super wax job yet. the car wash takes car of that.

go ahead and get it, you too can grin like an ape!
midnightfrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I already have a raven frs. Can I interest you in some other color? :P
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote