follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Thumbs down JDL Autodesign

I’ll try to be brief as I believe no one likes to read much from anyone else’s bad moments.I’ve been a happy owner of a JDL turbo kit for some time now and made that known through countless threads, install/reviews, praising and recommending their products.Just recently my turbo drain line started to leak and after countless tries to fix(on my cost) by replacing gaskets, flanges…Idecide to email JDL about a possible upgrade as this situation caught me off guard and now I’m stuck paying for car rental while my car is down. My precision turbo is under warranty and it is en-route to Precision but that could take a good month between turnaround time and diagnosis.I’m not writing this to get anything free or resolve anything as there’s nothing to do at this point but simply warn others and wait in my case.Even when things are in writing like it is my case, you could still be misled.I emailed this Monday asking if I could have the turbo upgrade kit at my place by the weekend… I was advised this wasn’t possible because the turbine housing needed coating.I proceeded to opt for not coating (even I disliked the idea) the housing because I really needed this ASAP.I informed the rep at JDL I was ready to buy right there and then (Monday morning, before they even opened) if things could be with me by the weekend, this one, the 11th not the 18th.Never was I told, no... Let me check or, I’ll get back to you after I check the status of parts needed for your upgrade.I was simply charged a pretty disturbing amount of $2000+ for this upgrade and an oil cooler, let it be clear I’m not complaining about the price, but to point out that I mostly spent this to get my car back running asap and yea who wouldn’t mind a GTX upgrade, but if I knew I wasn’t going to get it by the weekend I would have just used the money for the rental and wait for my damn PRECISION turbo.The next email read “the card went through, I’ll email your invoice and I’ll get an ETA on everything in an hour or so”.Turns out this didn’t happen and the “an hour or so” was the day after when I reached out asking if things had shipped.This is when the rep told me they didn’t have my T3 housing, it was 2 days out from garret, damn it!!! Not only do I find out by me having to contact them, it’s not what I paid $2000 for.To add to this, their best offer is to have them drop ship the turbo but at my expense, seriously?? To end things and give JDL a right to come here and explain what the hell happened, I’m waiting on my T3 housing to come from garret because they didn’t have it in stock.Side note, I’m using a T3 turbine housing with vband outlet in order to match my current manifold/downpipe setup.I really pick my battles as you don’t see me writing crappy reviews often at all on the contrary I’m the first to go praise a good deed/product when deserved but I feel like they really did a good one on me this time around.
All this for money, because it wasn’t to help me.. I know money is what makes this damn world go around but come on people; this is a small family business.I also know honest mistakes happen, but this is a serious one costing people lots of money and possibly further problems… read the email, pay attention to conversations.. I’ve spent nearly 7k or morewith your company and if this doesn’t tell you to at least be a little more professional with me then I don’t know what will.Polite emails…proper communication with detailed messages, disclaimers, warnings and still this mess happens.Sorry for the long pile of vile but this really hurt me and anyone around me and pardon for being dramatic but when you have to shed out money to get something fixed fast… and have to spend extra cash on rentals… not to mention the bad mood every around me has to put up with…. Yeah I’ll be pissed.Hope I don’t regret saying this but I will try by all means to let this be the last thing I ever purchase from @JDLAutoDesign @Jesse@JDLAutodesign @Lee@JDLAutoDesign

Last edited by yomny; 07-07-2015 at 02:25 PM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So miscommunication? You need to make it VERY clear of what your wants/needs are to the vendor. I would have called back after two hours if you situation was dire. I would also have made it clear to NOT make/charged the order until eta/ready to ship/in stock was confirmed aka call me back. And you can still get it this weekend aka next day shipping. In the end, eta still means estimated. You can also call and try to cancel your order.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
yomny

Yeah a lot of things could have been done differently on my part. Didn't really think it was necessary given we had done business before. I was pretty clear with my needs and urgency on the matter. Also didn't think it was the customers task to show a vendor proper ettiquette. I could cancel or file a disputed with American Express and have them take the hit. My point in all of this is to point out those companies that other consumers need to take all the extra measures you mentioned
Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
I don't know the exact time line but,
6th(monday) says 2 days out.
8th garret sends it out next day shipping to jdl.
9th jdl builds it, send it out same day on the 9th or 10th, shipped with next day shipping.
10th/11th you get it.

You can still get it by/on the 11th. You just need to make it clear you want next day early am shipping and will pay for it. Good luck.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm not really sure where to begin...

- You were having issues with the PTE Turbo leaking. We called you numerous times attempting to help troubleshoot, offer to send replacement parts to try etc. When nothing seemed to fix the issue, the next step was to get the turbo back to PTE. We called them first thing last monday morning after decided over the weekend to get the turbo looked at. At that point the issue is in their hands with the RMA and on their schedule.

-You decided to order the GTX upgrade yesterday. Yesterday was the Monday after a holiday weekend. Everyone here had the option of taking either Friday or Monday as a holiday. Half the staff picked Monday, so we were short staffed to say the least, but with lots of our vendors and suppliers not even open figured it would be a slow Monday anyways. The guys that were here were super busy, and if anything is super pressing the best option IS ALWAYS TO CALL.

-Now to the turbo itself. It is NOT an off the shelf turbo. A vband flange must get welded onto a 4 bolt t31 housing that is machined for the gtx turbine wheel. It is the only way that the turbo can just be "dropped" into the kit and everything still line up, etc. We don't have these housings instock as there's different ar options and different turbine wheel options. They are always 2-3 days out and have to come here so the welding can be done. That wouldn't work with your imposed time frame so we contacted our distributor to see if they could do the welding there and drop ship the turbo to you. They said they could and that they would charge us an additional $50 for the welding + The standard drop ship fee they typically charge us for turbos. I told Ronnie we'd eat the drop ship fee but have to charge for the welding fee. Not to mention we'd be paying shipping on two boxes now that all the water lines, oil fittings, etc would be shipping from here and not all at once packaged with the turbo. I'm not sure what you think we make on these turbos but its not much at all with the lines, fittings, flanges, dealing with issues like this, etc factored in.

The order was placed yesterday (July 6th), with us doing the welding the turbo would ship out to you on Thursday (July 9th). The only possible way to get it shipping faster would be to have the welding done by the distributor at an additional cost. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't think we're deserving of this post, we've tried our best to help you this whole way along and if this is what we'll have to deal with I'd rather just refund you and move on.

Jesse
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse@JDLAutodesign For This Useful Post:
IBill4You (07-08-2015), JoeBoxer (07-08-2015), RobertPaulson (07-08-2015), SkAsphalt (07-08-2015), swarb (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@JDLAutodesign View Post
I'm not really sure where to begin...

- You were having issues with the PTE Turbo leaking. We called you numerous times attempting to help troubleshoot, offer to send replacement parts to try etc. When nothing seemed to fix the issue, the next step was to get the turbo back to PTE. We called them first thing last monday morning after decided over the weekend to get the turbo looked at. At that point the issue is in their hands with the RMA and on their schedule.

-You decided to order the GTX upgrade yesterday. Yesterday was the Monday after a holiday weekend. Everyone here had the option of taking either Friday or Monday as a holiday. Half the staff picked Monday, so we were short staffed to say the least, but with lots of our vendors and suppliers not even open figured it would be a slow Monday anyways. The guys that were here were super busy, and if anything is super pressing the best option IS ALWAYS TO CALL.

-Now to the turbo itself. It is NOT an off the shelf turbo. A vband flange must get welded onto a 4 bolt t31 housing that is machined for the gtx turbine wheel. It is the only way that the turbo can just be "dropped" into the kit and everything still line up, etc. We don't have these housings instock as there's different ar options and different turbine wheel options. They are always 2-3 days out and have to come here so the welding can be done. That wouldn't work with your imposed time frame so we contacted our distributor to see if they could do the welding there and drop ship the turbo to you. They said they could and that they would charge us an additional $50 for the welding + The standard drop ship fee they typically charge us for turbos. I told Ronnie we'd eat the drop ship fee but have to charge for the welding fee. Not to mention we'd be paying shipping on two boxes now that all the water lines, oil fittings, etc would be shipping from here and not all at once packaged with the turbo. I'm not sure what you think we make on these turbos but its not much at all with the lines, fittings, flanges, dealing with issues like this, etc factored in.

The order was placed yesterday (July 6th), with us doing the welding the turbo would ship out to you on Thursday (July 9th). The only possible way to get it shipping faster would be to have the welding done by the distributor at an additional cost. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't think we're deserving of this post, we've tried our best to help you this whole way along and if this is what we'll have to deal with I'd rather just refund you and move on.

Jesse
To make all this less painful for everyone, calling me the second you realize you don't have the part would have worked out. A proper explanation like the one you provided would have been more adequate before and not after this happened. You still don't get that whether you like it or not, you don't tell someone they'll have their parts when a time frame is needed then "not"tell them they won't receive it when they had in mind. Don't try to over explain yourself with dates and holidays and numbers. If you're off then be off don't use it as an excuse. Don't make it out as if you're doing me any darn favors as you're charging and as for you not making much, it's not my concern. Do me a huge favor since it seems to be rather easier for you to cancel, do cancel my order and dont deal with me. I'd wait for my refund. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, CANCEL AND REFUND.

Btw Jesse I sent you a private message asking for help with the leak, I'm sure you had another excuse for never getting back to me. It's obvious I'm the issue here.

Last edited by yomny; 07-07-2015 at 04:23 PM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
To make all this less painful for everyone, calling me the second you realize you don't have the part would have worked out. A proper explanation like the one you provided would have been more adequate before and not after this happened. You still don't get that whether you like it or not, you don't tell someone they'll have their parts when a time frame is needed then "not"tell them they won't receive it when they had in mind. Don't try to over explain yourself with dates and holidays and numbers. If you're off then be off don't use it as an excuse. Don't make it out as if you're doing me any darn favors as you're charging and as for you not making much, it's not my concern. Do me a huge favor since it seems to be rather easier for you to cancel, do cancel my order and dont deal with me. I'd wait for my refund. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, CANCEL AND REFUND.

Btw Jesse I sent you a private message asking for help with the leak, I'm sure you had another excuse for never getting back to me. It's obvious I'm the issue here.

Over explain myself? I'm still not sure the issue. You ordered a part yesterday that always takes us 2-3 days to get. It would have shipped to you the day we received it (Thursday) and you would have had it this Saturday. How is that "OFF" as you put it? Or where was there any promises made that you would have had it before that. There's no excuses to be be made here, your refund has already been processed.
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@JDLAutodesign View Post
Over explain myself? I'm still not sure the issue. You ordered a part yesterday that always takes us 2-3 days to get. It would have shipped to you the day we received it (Thursday) and you would have had it this Saturday. How is that "OFF" as you put it? Or where was there any promises made that you would have had it before that. There's no excuses to be be made here, your refund has already been processed.
See, you're saying one thing and I was told another one(I'm sure you're able to see the emails) get your stories straight or at least have the person answering emails understand what they're explaining. Never was I told I would still have this by the weekend, if that were the case then why all this??? This was what my urgency was all about. When they told me the t3 wasn't available I replied saying the inconvenience this would cause me as my main reason for ordering was to get this by this Saturday. Never for one second was I told, you would still get it by saturday. The only thing you mentioned was charging me an extra $50 to drop ship. Like I said before, had this all be explained we wouldn't be where we are now. Aside from all of this, you clearly said in an email, "all parts are in stock" what the hell does this mean to you? Because to me this means they're in your facility and no further delays will occur. I understand you're defending your company but mistakes were made, better yet miscommunication in your companies behalf took place. This is pretty darn unfortunate, fortunately I could afford to buy this and anything else needed from another source. Thanks, now I'm even further delayed and you're out a client but it's clear you don't need those.
swarb (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
yomny

Just to clarify since you guys wanted to get defensive instead of standing up to your f#$ ups. This and the time you refunded me money to a card i specifically told you NOT to.. you just don't listen man and your damn email or communication etiquette sucks!!! happy 4th means happy 4th, if only you would read and acknowledge emails, this wouldn't have happened.

YOMNY
Happy 4th of July.

Guys I've sent the turbo in to precision. I wanted to know in case it's in by best interest to go the garret upgrade route. What's the lead time right now for me to have that upgrade with the gtx28 at my house? I have the car unavailable and being an unplanned situation it's causing me some inconveniences. Thanks for our quick responses. It's great to have you guys be as available and helpful as you are.

JDL:
Yomny,
It would be about a week before we can ship it. We would have to get the housing coated. We have everything else in stock at the shop.

YOMNY
Can I just do away without the coating, I know this isn't ideal but I'd be using the blanket to help with the heat. Also any little I could safe could help me with the cost for the oil cooler which is next inline. Thanks.

YOMNY
Let me know, looking to purchase everything today if I could get this in time(had already mentioned upcoming saturday). Don't want to sound like I'm trying to rush you all but I'm really struggling here without my car, paying for a rental and Miami rates are stupid high. Thanks

JDL
Yomny,
You are looking at 2300 shipped for the two

(see where no one ever says anything about not having it on time.. or not!

JDL
Went through(card). We will email your an invoice shortly. Ill get you an ETA on everything in about an hour or so.
(that didn't happen so i had to call the day after to ask about the shipment)

JDL: Yomny,
Being that your turbo is T3 we don't have it on stock. I had to order it.We only stock Tial housings for the GTX kits. Its 2 days out from us. It will come tapped

YOMNY
...I'm dying.. These are really bad news as I said in was really counting on this by the weekend. I wish you would have told me this yesterday. Not happy man, really not happy honestly. Right now I feel that you didn't mention this to avoid me not buying the this. That's not right!

JDL

Yomny,
Im sorry for the confusion but I said I would let you as know when we had it all together. I wasn't aware of that until late last night. I can have it drop shipped and you will have to tap the housing yourself. Also its going to be an additional $50 charge if I drop ship it. The standard housing isnt and off the shelf housing so I will have to pay to have Garrett weld a Vband on the housing outlet. If we dont have it here pay Garrett it will not be identical to you current housing and it will
(unfortunately i can't read your thoughts, and you never told me you needed to source the damn turbine housing and NEVER did you mention this would still get to me by Saturday).

Quote:
Btw Jesse I sent you a private message asking for help with the leak, I'm sure you had another excuse for never getting back to me. It's obvious I'm the issue here
Let me know if you need anything else to clarify your misunderstanding. Also to show you tend to get tunnel vision, you didn't say a damn word about the quoted message above. You were quick however to point out you tried to help me with the leak but never replied to my PM..

Like i said I'm not the type to post bad reviews, this is my second one in the three plus years of owning an FRS.. but when i do, bet your behind I'm not making crap up. You better than anyone know you've messed up a whole lot and never did i mention a damn thing. Since this is a review about JDLautodesign and not specific to this turbo experience, let me know if you need any more clarifications on other subjects as you seem to say one thing and your team do another.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
yomny

Didn't even bother.. so no you didn't help.. offering after i had already felt with something isn't really helping. Continuing this won't solve my situation or even help it, just want to clarify for anyone bumping into this, how to deal with these guys.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 AM   #11
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
...you kind of sound ..whiny? Is that the word...I think it is the word. Miracle fixes in a few days typically does not happen in turbo land.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #12
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
1. Paragraphs are your friend.
2. Sorry about your car.
3. Never mod a car if it's the only wheels you own.
4. Jesse makes car parts he doesn't perform miracles. He's Jesse not Jesus.
5. Good luck.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (07-15-2015), dattran86 (03-21-2017), JoeBoxer (07-08-2015), RobertPaulson (07-08-2015), Sciontist__ (09-09-2015), SkAsphalt (03-31-2017), spagti (04-03-2019)
Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 AM   #13
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
1. Paragraphs are your friend.
2. Sorry about your car.
3. Never mod a car if it's the only wheels you own.
4. Jesse makes car parts he doesn't perform miracles. He's Jesse not Jesus.
5. Good luck.
I have to agree, Ronnie and Jesse are some of the most helpful guys here and i am sure they did everything they could. There are going to be issues with a custom turbo kit on any car and a week turnaround time is nothing for a part that has to have some welding done to it and shipping included especially with them in Arizona and you in Florida. Hope everything works out and your car gets fixed though.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I have to agree, Ronnie and Jesse are some of the most helpful guys here and i am sure they did everything they could. There are going to be issues with a custom turbo kit on any car and a week turnaround time is nothing for a part that has to have some welding done to it and shipping included especially with them in Arizona and you in Florida. Hope everything works out and your car gets fixed though.
I completely agree with regards to their helpfulness. I have been a proud owner of their kit for the most part of this year. The only problem I had which was a pretty big one in my current situation was them telling me one thing and then a completely different one. I waited for months for my kit, no problem. I waited almost another month for a downpipe from them, no problem. The problem was miscommunication. Jesse posted one thing here and I was told another. I asked them if my timeline could be met and they said yes, if they would have said no and then I come up trying to rush things, I would have to shut up. That being said I appreciate your input and actually posting your experience instead bashing my grammar or personality like other people. Thanks, truly.