follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
PaoloJR

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch squeak, even when engine is off or on

My clutch makes a squeaky sound, like rubber to rubber type of sound, only when the clutch is in motion (about 3/4) then goes away when fully pressed. The sound happens when the engine is off too..

I am hoping it's not TOB as it is not a metal whinning sound or anything similar to that. I brought it in the dealer this morning and the service tech automatically assumed it was the TOB issue WITHOUT even diagnosing it.. and was going to charge me a 900$ CAD fee for opening the transmission..

I have a 2017 BRZ with 45k km on it. Im still under the 3yr/60k km warranty.

any help will be much appreciated.
thanks!
PaoloJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Mine does the same thing, and I hear it most when releasing the pedal from the floor. Very annoying. I greased everything and it still makes noise.

I installed a Mtec clutch assist spring and forgot to grease it. I have a feeling it is the spring rubbing as it stretches/compresses.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloJR View Post
My clutch makes a squeaky sound, like rubber to rubber type of sound, only when the clutch is in motion (about 3/4) then goes away when fully pressed. The sound happens when the engine is off too..

I am hoping it's not TOB as it is not a metal whinning sound or anything similar to that. I brought it in the dealer this morning and the service tech automatically assumed it was the TOB issue WITHOUT even diagnosing it.. and was going to charge me a 900$ CAD fee for opening the transmission..

thanks!
It could be that the clutch fork is dry. It can be greased to make it quit squeaking.

Quick & dirty: from @Ultramaroon

1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble.

Mine squeaks a little too, but, I just pay it no mind.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (07-31-2019), dhuang (07-30-2019), Manic (08-20-2019), MCTeeJ (07-25-2019), Muaddib (07-30-2019), scion fr-s (07-26-2019), Ultramaroon (07-25-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
PaoloJR

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
humfrs,
how often do you hear your squeak and how long has it been?
PaoloJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Quick & dirty: from @Ultramaroon

1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble.

^^^ This.

I have a '17 with a squeaky clutch -- car on or off, usually when the car is warm. (This problem is unrelated to the TOB TSB.)

As a test, I sprayed some white lithium grease on the clutch fork pivot and the problem briefly went away.
The solution is to use a molybdenum grease or Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease at the pivot point since it seems to dry out.

Consider it another maintenance item.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
humfrs,
how often do you hear your squeak and how long has it been?
Oh, I would be a bad witness because my hearing is shot. However, I do notice it when it's in the garage and I push in or let out on the clutch, when the engine isn't running. It's been squeaking at me for several months.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Lube is your friend.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
radon55

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:

thanks!
I have a '17 BRZ with 60k mi (96.5km), and have the same issue as you with the squeak. Once I figured it didn't have the same symptoms as the TOB failure, I stopped worrying about it. Mine has always had the squeak since I purchased it 2k miles ago, so not sure in total how long this car has had it.

One of these days maybe I'll add some lube to it....
radon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Quote:

thanks!
I also have this rubber squeaking sound. My inner feeling is that the sound comes from internal master cylinder piston, which makes of rubber, rubbing against the cylinder wall....
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mine is sqeaky also. Replaced the stocker at 30k, at 50 now and it's been sqeaking for the last five thousand or so.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #11
natekwondo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Manual 2015
Mines at 31k miles (50000km) and it squeaks as well. (I've done all the grease fixes) It only squeaks over short distances and after it has been driven around for for an extended period of time/distance the squeak goes away, then when it gets cold again it squeaks again.

Also, other people might have already mentioned this already but, i think this is a subaru designed clutch setup much like the WRX, and I've read some of the subaru WRX forums that they are also renowned for squeaky clutches due to the design. (They also have TOB issues etc)

It seems that even if you replace the clutch fork, TOB etc that you will eventually get the squeak back in certain conditions even if the components are completely healthy.
natekwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #12
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Did the fix as prescribed by humfrz, as described by ultramoon, and I've been squeak free for the last week. It was a little awkward trying to remove the clutch slave, ended up using a breaker bar very carefully.

Ironically enough, I almost miss the squeak and the clutch feels too smooth now. It's like I was in an abusive relationship with my clutch fork.