follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #869
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaFanBoy View Post
Thanks for explaining. I'm waiting patiently I'm sure it worth the wait ! 5th week.
Shoot us a PM so we know who you are and maybe we can see where you are in the process.

We have 4 Systems in shipping right now, 1 went out yesterday and another 1 today for a total of 6

Last edited by JDLAutoDesign; 07-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #870
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh that's good numbers hope I hit at least 280-300 whp I'm upgrading my pulley and fuel systems try to get a little kick. Excited now !
Mind if I ask why are you opting for upgrading your fuel system if you are staying on pump gas and don't have >300whp aspirations? The stock fuel system is completely capable of supporting that, my injector duty cycle maxes out at 80 percent or so. Upgrading your injectors won't give you more power, rather it's something you do once you are capped out. And by pulley do you mean a lightweight crank pulley? Stay away from those, they are complete snake oil. You are better off spending that cash on (in order of importance)

-A legitimate tune, not off the shelf.
-A boost control solenoid
-Opening up your exhaust

Or even changing your order if you still can, and getting that disco potato.
CxG (07-14-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #871
UchihaFanBoy

Drives: 16 BRZ,99 Forester,13 FRS(RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Mind if I ask why are you opting for upgrading your fuel system if you are staying on pump gas and don't have >300whp aspirations? The stock fuel system is completely capable of supporting that, my injector duty cycle maxes out at 80 percent or so. Upgrading your injectors won't give you more power, rather it's something you do once you are capped out. And by pulley do you mean a lightweight crank pulley? Stay away from those, they are complete snake oil. You are better off spending that cash on (in order of importance)

-A legitimate tune, not off the shelf.
-A boost control solenoid
-Opening up your exhaust

Or even changing your order if you still can, and getting that disco potato.
Really I'll cancel that order then for the pulley upgrading injectors because I'm leaning to get flex fuel. I have full exhaust . And tuning at moto east .
UchihaFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UchihaFanBoy For This Useful Post:
CxG (07-14-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #872
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Really I'll cancel that order then for the pulley upgrading injectors because I'm leaning to get flex fuel. I have full exhaust . And tuning at moto east .
Gotcha, I was under the impression you were going to stay on 93 octane...which adding injectors would just add another variable into the mix and might do more harm than good. If you're doing flex fuel in the future and installing the kit and all of the other auxiliary stuff it does make sense to go ahead and knock out the injectors at the same time. Plus you only have to get your injectors scaled once :-)

The LW crank pulley thing has been long debated, and I'd be lying if I told you I completely 100% understood the science behind it....but from what I understand the OEM crank pulley acts as a harmonic balancer. Which in other words, it acts as a counterweight to the crankshaft and assists it in balancing how it vibrates. I've read up on harmonic dampening and it gets really deep, 'Q Factor' and shit like that...honestly a lot of it flies over my head. But the moral of the story is that the OEM crankshaft was certainly designed for a reason...and in my opinion I believe that messing with that is a bad idea. Just my two cents, and my apologies if I came across as if I was bashing on your modification choices...I was just trying to put a birdie in your ear.
CxG (07-14-2017), UchihaFanBoy (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #873
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-86 View Post
@JDL Are the V2 kits only available in UEL or are there plans to produce a EL version as you did on the V1 kit ?
I'd like an answer to this as well (didn't see one), I prefer an EL solution.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #874
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-86 View Post
@JDL Are the V2 kits only available in UEL or are there plans to produce a EL version as you did on the V1 kit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
I'd like an answer to this as well (didn't see one), I prefer an EL solution.
Sorry we missed your questions

The short answer is YES. The long answer is that we have always had the EL as an option and it has never gone away. The V2 systems are no different from V1 systems in regard to the hot parts so everything carries over hot parts wise. The difference is in the manufacturing process mostly and then in the intercooler routing/options. Secondly, the systems have gone through small revisions and changes over the years as we further refine the systems. We are always making changes and that's the beauty of hand making everything here in house, we have the ability to make changes on-the-fly. Plus we want to always improve where we can.

The last difference is cost. The EL option is more expensive because they are a MUCH lower production option and truthfully we really do not sell that many of them. We do however, keep the option available albeit not widely publicized. Our website still has the EL hot parts listed but when ordering the "V2" we don't give the option in drop-down menus again because it's almost never ordered anymore.

Hope this helps guys and if you want the EL option just give us a call or reach out to us in whatever method work for you.
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDLAutoDesign For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #875
extreme-86

Drives: 86, Nissan 200SX, Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
Sorry we missed your questions

The short answer is YES. The long answer is that we have always had the EL as an option and it has never gone away. The V2 systems are no different from V1 systems in regard to the hot parts so everything carries over hot parts wise. The difference is in the manufacturing process mostly and then in the intercooler routing/options. Secondly, the systems have gone through small revisions and changes over the years as we further refine the systems. We are always making changes and that's the beauty of hand making everything here in house, we have the ability to make changes on-the-fly. Plus we want to always improve where we can.

The last difference is cost. The EL option is more expensive because they are a MUCH lower production option and truthfully we really do not sell that many of them. We do however, keep the option available albeit not widely publicized. Our website still has the EL hot parts listed but when ordering the "V2" we don't give the option in drop-down menus again because it's almost never ordered anymore.

Hope this helps guys and if you want the EL option just give us a call or reach out to us in whatever method work for you.
Thank you very much for clarifying, will do so !
extreme-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #876
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I have my JDL kit up for sale in the classifieds for any potential buyers looking to score a kit. I must say i'm going to miss this kit a lot. The quality is amazing and it produces great numbers.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #877
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I haven't shared a photo in this thread since finishing my install 100%

Loving this kit so far and the tuning from HRI has been amazing and effortless!
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #878
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I haven't shared a photo in this thread since finishing my install 100%

Loving this kit so far and the tuning from HRI has been amazing and effortless!
Agreed. Been autocrossing with my kit since the start of the season. What an absolute blast.

HRI did such a fantastic job on my tune as well. I can't find a fault (though I'm not really sure I'd be about to tell if there was one).

What blanket did you go with?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #879
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
What blanket did you go with?
It's a universal T3 blanket from PTP
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #880
xZAMx

Drives: '13 FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If I bought this kit, would I have to mod or get a different crash bar? I heard somewhere this kit offered a part that didn't force you to mod the crash bar.
xZAMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #881
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAMx View Post
If I bought this kit, would I have to mod or get a different crash bar? I heard somewhere this kit offered a part that didn't force you to mod the crash bar.
JDL offers a no cut option with different IC piping routing (unless this has changed but i'm fairly certain it has not). Only downside is the piping is obviously longer.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #882
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Whats been the reliability of this kit so far? I'm planning on getting this kit at the end of the year. Goals for my turbo build.

Not massive power goals. Around 240-270 whp.
Looking for at least 200 lbs tq. Hoping for around 220 if possible.
I like the small turbo spooling speed.
Looking for more mid range power compared to a Supercharger. I was Edelbrock supercharged but i ended up not liking how it drove and the throttle response.
Keep my UEL headers.

Mainly a Daily Driver. Will see the track only maybe once or twice a year. What can i do to keep the heat down on the car? My friend is running the SBD kit and on really hot days if he pushes the car he has some heat issues. Is that just a side effect of where the turbo is mounted?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote