follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #2199
Berliner

Drives: T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I keep seeing comments about sound quality being bad, but doesn't this thing support USB OTG?

A $50 DAC piped over to an amp would fix all of these problems.
So far no problems at all. Sound quality was a huge upgrade against the stock HU.
Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #2200
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I keep seeing comments about sound quality being bad, but doesn't this thing support USB OTG?

A $50 DAC piped over to an amp would fix all of these problems.

The question of sound quality isn't as easy as good vs bad. The stock HU has a ton of DSP happening in the background to correct for issues with the stock speakers, their location, and cabin reflections. All in all, that helps a lot. But, it also removes a shit ton of low end, and if you're going to do anything more than the stock speakers all of the DSP is a huge hindrance.

The sound quality of the Dashlinq 4 is great, I don't get any discernible noise from the amp, the front end sounds clean... It's a great place to start making a system. With the stock speaks I've got about 4 dB removed at IIRC 3K Hz. And about 3 dB removed from the lowest adjustment as the stock speakers can't reproduce those frequencies anyway. To flatten out the result of the -3 dB I also have about 1.5 dB increase on the next adjustment. (That's all going from memory, I might be off a bit.)

All that said, I really need to get a condenser mic to see what's really happening before I get my DSP setup this winter. So far I'm just tuning by ear.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #2201
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I feel my speakers may be shot and that is why I don't think it sounds that good haha!! I was moving the balance around and only 1 speaker sounds clean the rest are crap.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #2202
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since you're talking about the speakers, I feel I should once again voice my very strong recommendation for the OEMAudio+ speaker kits for the FT86—in particular the Reference 400CF.

It replaces the factory tweeters in the dash and the 6.5"-ers in the doors, adds a new fitted subwoofer enclosure in the trunk which includes new amps, and bypasses the factory amp and the stock dashboard mids. The new main DSP amp will be specifically programmed for whatever HU you're using (they ask you when you order what HU you plan to use), and they can program the subwoofer at 3 different levels ("balanced", "full", or "robust" IIRC; I picked the middle level, as I like some thump, but not too much).

A bit pricey, yes, but well worth it if you want a great sound system in your 86.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-10-2015), go_a_way1 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #2203
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm having trouble updating to adjust the default volume level from 14. My bluetooth version is 20150126 and there is no updates in the download section in the ca-fi site for that. The topmost one is "Ca-Fi Dashlinq4 firmware update DVR support March 18 2015" so I assume that is the latest one. When I download that, it doesn't come with a MCU file. The other updates do come with a MCU file. Do I just use that MCU file from the older updates?

After that, you must upgrade MCU:
1) Delete all dta from the sd-card;
2) Copy the file "letou_mcu.bin" from the downloaded archive to the root of the memory card (memory card must include only the file "letou_mcu.bin" and nothing more);
3) Turn on the head unit in the normal mode and wait when it is fully loaded. Insert a memory card into the slot. Click on the "Settings" on the desktop android interface and go to the "About system", then go to "Update MCU" (section also may be called "Updating the microcontroller"). Confirm the MCU update start. The device will reboot. Again, go to the "Settings" section of "About system" and click on "Update MCU", confirm the upgrade. Wait until the flashing MCU. At the end of the device will reboot again.

All I'm looking to do here is just change that default volume level from 14 to 0 so it doesn't blast on when I turn the car on. I took that topmost update and used notepad to edit the file so the volume is 0. So can I just update the on the firmware and not on the MCU? In the update directions it says you must update the MCU but is that not necessary as the MCU hasn't been updated since the old firmware updates?

Last edited by Impureclient; 11-09-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #2204
N3mesis
Complete Newbie

Drives: 2016 Toyota GT86(FRS)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can someone tell me what the experience is like with kitkat, super old processor and 1 gig of ram for someone with a newer phone?

My only introduction to android is lolipop, a 1080p screen, octacore processor and 4 gigs of ram. I feel like this is Insanly outdated tech for what this thing is..
N3mesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #2205
Captain_Awesome_Pants

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well as much as it pains me to say this...I'm not happy with the purchase. After having it for a few months I found the interface to be sluggish and the ipod controls to be lacking, but worst of all, none of the 3 powered amps I bought work properly with it. I will attempt to try a firmware update but I think I have a dud.
Captain_Awesome_Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 AM   #2206
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3mesis View Post
Can someone tell me what the experience is like with kitkat, super old processor and 1 gig of ram for someone with a newer phone?
I have one mono amp hooked up to it and another wiring plugged in, ran to the the trunk and ready for another amp but only using one amp for a sub at this point. I really just put the SD card in, listen to downloaded music and use it for a GPS device. I also have a ScanTool bluetooth OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner that it reads just fine too. So far the only issue I've had is the default volume at 14 (when it comes on sometimes) which I learned how to change by updating it. I think that really is only due changing the unit to not do a 30 second restart and have it come on instantly when turning the power on to it which is what I changed when I first got it so that's not really a true fault. It will power up in about 30 seconds by default which is when the car has warmed up the cats and drops in RPMs which is how long I wait any way before moving.

It's nowhere as fast as a newer android phone but if you're just using it to listen to music and a few things, it's fine. I did watch a cartoon while waiting for pizza, which looked fine, but don't use it to do much other than play music while i drive and pop addresses in to use as a GPS device when I do estimates. I also searched a little on Google and that ran fine also. I put the app "HERE" in it, downloaded all the maps for Florida with home wifi in my garage and now have permanent maps ready to go. It is most definitely better sounding and louder than the stock unit.

Do they even sell android had units similar to this that are have updated android for even close to the price of this? New phones are running around $600-700. This thing was $468 shipped. If I was going to want something faster, I'd probably just wire up a lap top inside if I wanted faster/better. Unless you are sitting in your car and using the stereo as a workstation and need a speedy device, I think it's fine for what it does at the price point.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #2207
samjones

Drives: camry
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwolf View Post
Link doesn't work. Looks like the app is in beta and their beta link on the store isn't working either but they do have a direct link to the apk:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/bitspice/automate/

Also, someone has "ported" android auto for headunits, haven't tested it yet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...-auto-t3125252

Android auto latest version does work for headunits. Try downloading it from play store. Bitspice has taken off automate from playstore.
samjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #2208
Soulman03

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone who has successfully mounted their Dashlinq CT want to tell me which holes they used? Using the holes I've circled feels the most "natural" to the bracket, but using those means that the front panel will not snap in. I've seen that on the Dashlinq4 there was space to move the bracket forward by cutting off the tabs or sanding them down, but then I only get one bolt hole instead of a full 4.
Attached Images

Soulman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #2209
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman03 View Post
Anyone who has successfully mounted their Dashlinq CT want to tell me which holes they used? Using the holes I've circled feels the most "natural" to the bracket, but using those means that the front panel will not snap in. I've seen that on the Dashlinq4 there was space to move the bracket forward by cutting off the tabs or sanding them down, but then I only get one bolt hole instead of a full 4.
You will need to bend the bracket a bit as well. Mount it so the headunit sits as far back as possable aswell.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #2210
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Ok so I've been out of the loop a while. I want to re flash my unit but heard the latest update although rooted does not allow edits to the system partition. Is this accurate?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #2211
dinoniel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Ok so I've been out of the loop a while. I want to re flash my unit but heard the latest update although rooted does not allow edits to the system partition. Is this accurate?

Yes accurate. Go here: http://ca-fi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4751 and third to last post on first page has a link for the latest firmware (03/2015) with the january kernel. This way you are rooted and still edit system folder.
dinoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinoniel For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-29-2015), DC2R (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #2212
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Many thanks.
Anyone got a good setup using viper and subwoofer? For some reason xfhifi is the only viper working for me. Anemic when using sub out. Barely moves speaker. Regular speaker RCA out works.

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote