follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
these are 235/40/17 R1Rs that have seen 13 autocross events, I have not yet flipped them and the inside shoulders are still square. (NEW, UNTOUCHED, VERY GOOD CONDITION)

They were not shaved.

I have two events left this season and maybe a single and very short track session.

Was wondering if I should bother to flip them for maximum grip or if there's plenty of tire left on them to keep going?

Is the amount of rubber currently seen in the picture still worthy of competition?

What bothers me the most is that discolored strip above the sidewall. I've not owned R1Rs before so I don't know how they should wear.
what kind of camber have you been using on these tires? also, it seems like you have been using these tires with stock rims and you know the fact that the measured rim width on these tires are 8.5", correct? so tire bulging
may cause the premature tire wear on the outside edges too.. I would definitely consider at least 8.5" or 9" wide tires (slightly wider wheels are better for contact patch and sidewall stiffness)

for flipping the tires on the wheels I would contact with the manufacturer and ask them I would also ask the ideal negative camber to run these tires with (for instance, Nitto recommends anywhere from -2.5 to -5 camber for their NT01 tires), many people flip the Nitto NT01s on the rim with no problem since inner and outer compounds are the same but of course you cannot use them in the rain due to the tread pattern when they're flipped like the symmetrical R comps .. I think it shouldn't be an issue but wouldn't hurt to ask them
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
completely and wholly irrelevant stuff

is my question really that vague? I don't understand.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
glamcem

Quote:

is my question really that vague? I don't understand.
cool meme, a bit overplayed but whatever ..and no your question is not vague at all, I wonder if my answer was really that vague since you found it "completely and wholly irrelevant stuff"

I was just trying to help troubleshooting the issue that you have been having, that's all
Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I was just trying to help troubleshooting the issue that you have been having, that's all

appreciate the attempt but you touched on topics not all all relevant as there are no "issues" with the car that i'm trying to "fix"

I merely wanted to know if the amount of tire left on the shoulders of the tire in this picture sufficient to last 2 more autocross events or would I be wise to flip them to the otherwise untouched side

the fact that the tire is so worn is not an issue, I have been abusing them all summer
the fact that they are 235 is not an issue, I chose to do this as a test
the fact that I'm on a stock rim is not an issue, because I am in C-Stock and I cannot upgrade the width of my rim
the fact that I'm on stock camber ( with bolts 1.3*) is not an issue, because I am in C-Stock and that's the most camber I can put in the car
the tire's compound is same left to right, this is not an issue
the tire is directional, but that too is not an issue

in fact, these tires look like these after an approximate 75 runs + 6000 km commuting, which I think isn't bad at all.

winter will be here in two months and these will go into hibernation until I burn them off next spring at a lapping day or something

I simply want to maximize the grip I have left for the last two events, and I'm debating whether to pay the money for the flip

and the consensus is that yes, I should flip them, which is what I will now do.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
glamcem

Quote:
appreciate the attempt but you touched on topics not all all relevant as there are no "issues" with the car that i'm trying to "fix"

I merely wanted to know if the amount of tire left on the shoulders of the tire in this picture sufficient to last 2 more autocross events or would I be wise to flip them to the otherwise untouched side

the fact that the tire is so worn is not an issue, I have been abusing them all summer
the fact that they are 235 is not an issue, I chose to do this as a test
the fact that I'm on a stock rim is not an issue, because I am in C-Stock and I cannot upgrade the width of my rim
the fact that I'm on stock camber ( with bolts 1.3*) is not an issue, because I am in C-Stock and that's the most camber I can put in the car
the tire's compound is same left to right, this is not an issue
the tire is directional, but that too is not an issue

in fact, these tires look like these after an approximate 75 runs + 6000 km commuting, which I think isn't bad at all.

winter will be here in two months and these will go into hibernation until I burn them off next spring at a lapping day or something

I simply want to maximize the grip I have left for the last two events, and I'm debating whether to pay the money for the flip

and the consensus is that yes, I should flip them, which is what I will now do.

the fact is all the things that you listed above as "not issue" are in fact real issues for many people (like me) and both @simpleisbest and @vroom4 said similar things "too much tire for that rim size" ..

except, that you're in a specific class that doesn't allow you to run any wider wheels or more aggressive camber which I didn't know until I read your last post.. I don't know Autocross rules as I never really attend any of them.

.in your case, I would definitely flip them on the rim. I am not sure if you can heat cycle out non-competition tires in an AutoX event so you might be able to run them to the cords by flipping and rotating them regularly, if HC is not an issue
Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My experience with flipping tires (R comps and street) is that by the time you flip them it's too late (because I'm cheap). They will be slower once you flip them (but, yes, they will last longer). If your goal is to simply finish the season, then flip. If your goal is to be as competitive as possible, then don't flip.

Count on the first event after flipping being a throw away (at least the first several AX runs).

In the future, flip them way sooner.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #21
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Flip them and run them till you are ready for a new set. I tend to run my Toyo RRs till they cord. Even if they aren't good enough for the fastest lap, they still work fine for practice or early runs.

Last edited by King Tut; 08-27-2014 at 04:21 PM.
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to King Tut For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Flip them and run them till you have the money for a new set. I tend to run my Toyo RRs till they cord. Even if they aren't good enough for the fastest lap, they still work fine for practice or early runs.

actually, I've won 2 sets of Toyo tires this season (from two separate events) so it's not a money issue... it's just that there are only 2 events left! Then a long winter.

So I'd rather order tires in the spring as I don't have a place to store them properly.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
actually, I've won 2 sets of Toyo tires this season (from two separate events) so it's not a money issue... it's just that there are only 2 events left! Then a long winter.

So I'd rather order tires in the spring as I don't have a place to store them properly.
I didn't want to imply it was a money issue. I edited my post. That is some serious contingency. The best we can get is $300 toward a set of Toyos per weekend and they cost $700 for a set.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

ABRA KADABRA!

shoulda done it sooner.... not sure how "uncompetitive" they'll be having already done 13 events, but we'll see.

they look brand fucking new, LOL

really wish for a better camber curve but such is stock class.

tahdizzle (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What tire pressures do you typically run?
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #26
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
What tire pressures do you typically run?
26-27 hot
simpleisbest (02-13-2015)