follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #71
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
You would have saved on labor costs.
Boo, that's too bad. Sounds like I could've saved ~$600-700 and that would've went to my tires. Having big regrets now, literally a week from fixing my throwout bearing too.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:01 AM   #72
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
veering a bit off topic, but those of you who had other work done (like spark plugs, clutch, etc) at the dealership while your car was in for the recall, do you mind posting what work you had done and how much it cost?

Last edited by fiveoneoh; 04-07-2019 at 02:14 AM.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #73
hellyvin

Drives: WRB Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
veering a bit off topic, but those of you who had other work done (like spark plugs, clutch, etc), do you mind posting what work you had done and how much it cost?

Contact Neal @the_racers_line

https://www.theracersline.com/

He'll take care of you.
hellyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #74
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyvin View Post
Contact Neal @the_racers_line

https://www.theracersline.com/

He'll take care of you.
I think he means more about extra things during the recall that wont add labor/minimal labor. Clutch job takes less time, spark plugs are free labor during recall, etc.

But yes. Otherwise Neal is more the capable

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #75
hellyvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I think he means more about extra things during the recall that wont add labor/minimal labor. Clutch job takes less time, spark plugs are free labor during recall, etc.

But yes. Otherwise Neal is more the capable
oops. sorry i read it wrong. The dealer changed the plugs for me for $100 more during the recall.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #76
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyvin View Post
oops. sorry i read it wrong. The dealer changed the plugs for me for $100 more during the recall.
On top of the cost of plugs? Or did that include plugs and labor?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #77
hellyvin

Plugs were $100. They didn't charge me for labor.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellyvin For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #78
crouchingpinoy

Drives: Firestorm 6MT
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Took my car to Tracy Toyota and I’m very satisfied with the service. My car was the 6th recall they performed so it was comforting to know they had a little bit of experience since it was a big job. The shop foreman (Jorge) was very knowledgeable, kept me informed/provided updates, and very patient (I asked a lot of questions).

They changed my spark plugs and drive belts with no additional labor costs, just paid for parts. The TOB was also in bad shape and they recommended to replace the entire clutch kit. I only paid for parts and a few hours of labor. It’s been approximately 2,000 miles and so far so good. Car runs smooth, no noise, and no sign of leaks. Clutch is butter. They kept my car for 3 days and also provided a rental car.

Rick
Old 05-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #79
steezypenguin

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
So I'm guessing this valve spring recall is mandatory in order to renew your registration here in CA? No way bypassing this recall ?
steezypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #80
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezypenguin View Post
So I'm guessing this valve spring recall is mandatory in order to renew your registration here in CA? No way bypassing this recall ?
Its not mandatory until smog is due

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
steezypenguin (05-02-2019), strat61caster (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #81
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I took mine to Longo Toyota in socal, Im over 1000 miles since the recall with absolutely no issues. I've spoken with a cool service guy who told me they are one of the most popular places for folks to take their cars to for the JO2 recall. They have done quite a bit since before year started (35+) and not a single one has come back with anything serious. All the jobs are performed by the same guy named Jason who seems to be on it and know his shit. If your near SoCal I recommend going to Longo, ask for Danny (cool service guy) and he can answer all your questions and get you in for Jason to perform the recall properly.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #82
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I took mine to Longo Toyota in socal, Im over 1000 miles since the recall with absolutely no issues. I've spoken with a cool service guy who told me they are one of the most popular places for folks to take their cars to for the JO2 recall. They have done quite a bit since before year started (35+) and not a single one has come back with anything serious. All the jobs are performed by the same guy named Jason who seems to be on it and know his shit. If your near SoCal I recommend going to Longo, ask for Danny (cool service guy) and he can answer all your questions and get you in for Jason to perform the recall properly.
I have been considering making the trek down to them for this. Being the top sales dealership in the country I imaged their service department knew their shit too. How many days did it take?

Old 05-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #83
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I have been considering making the trek down to them for this. Being the top sales dealership in the country I imaged their service department knew their shit too. How many days did it take?
Took 1 full day, dropped it off Tuesday late in the day, picked it up early Thursday morning.

If you do, I recommend asking for the service advisor named Danny and making sure Jason is still the guy doing them. He is totally on top of things, also didn't even make any sort of problem with my strut bar and MBC bolt ons.

I just bought a new car form that dealership, their sales dept is pretty good I guess for a dealership, still not amazing. Their senior service guys though are top tier.

Honestly if I where you and the local dealerships are questionable it might be worth making the trip for a place that has a really good record of completing the recall quick and properly. I drove an hour and a half away past like 4 dealerships to this one because I researched and found this to be the best bet for such a serious service. I still think it was the right call and worth the hassle of driving so far.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #84
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Took 1 full day, dropped it off Tuesday late in the day, picked it up early Thursday morning.

If you do, I recommend asking for the service advisor named Danny and making sure Jason is still the guy doing them. He is totally on top of things, also didn't even make any sort of problem with my strut bar and MBC bolt ons.

I just bought a new car form that dealership, their sales dept is pretty good I guess for a dealership, still not amazing. Their senior service guys though are top tier.

Honestly if I where you and the local dealerships are questionable it might be worth making the trip for a place that has a really good record of completing the recall quick and properly. I drove an hour and a half away past like 4 dealerships to this one because I researched and found this to be the best bet for such a serious service. I still think it was the right call and worth the hassle of driving so far.
Thanks. I go to SoCal often enough and a 1 day turnaround is workable. How far in advance did you schedule your appointment?